Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2007, 19:38   #1
BANNED

Sun Roof for Optra Magnum Diesel..!!!

hi fellas,

1. i called up the auto dealer to inquire as to why they aren't offering a sun roof for the top of the line optra magnum deisel LT.

2. they said tht because it is a diesel engine and there are vibrations to the body they can't fit the sun roof to the optra magnum diesel ! coz i guess they give a sun roof on the L&K diesel octi.

3. do you guys think this is true?

4. or you feel its just to keep the cost of the top model low. because i called up webasto people and the sun roof which opens inside like on the optra petrol LT royale is about 1 lakh ! and the one which opens inside is about rs. 50000 !

5. also is it true that if you install a sun roof, then eventually in 2 year time it starts leaking water during the rains? anybody experienced this?

thanks.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th February 2011 at 08:35. Reason: Too many "...."
Old 29th October 2007, 00:53   #2
BHPian

Cost

I got the Optra Magnum 2 days ago and I sorely miss a sun roof. Before purchasing I inquired with a few dealerships and was given the vibration version. I think its out and out a cost cutting thing. But they should have given a sun roof in the LT version at least . I asked them about retrofitting the sunroof and here is what they say. When the sunroof comes fiitted from the company there are small pipes that run from the sunroof all the way near the wheel somewhere from the inside, basically to drain rain water. I somehow believe that. So will the retrofitted sun roof leak in the rain ? I think once the rubber fitting around the sunroof gets hard, it will crack and leak water. Hope this helps
Old 29th October 2007, 10:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

This explaination by the dealer of the "diesel car vibrates hence no sunroof" is totally misleading. There are umpteen number of diesels in a top segment which come factory fitted with sunroofs. Try webasto - they give a warranty for 2 years if I am not mistaken - this is a world class product. I have seen enough installs to know that the roofs work well...

It is another story that the Indian climate (especially Delhi), will not really let one use the sunroof/moonroof much - as in driving with it open. (maybe useful in Bombay) Anyway that is a matter of personal choice.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 29th October 2007 at 10:40.
Old 30th October 2007, 00:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

The reason qouted by the dealer is total BS, vibration doesnot do anything to the sunroof, if so then all your windows would be down.
Old 30th October 2007, 00:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

The vibration factor doesn't make any sense. The only issue with getting a sun roof installed (ie,not a factory fit) is the chance of a leakage.
Thats probably why very very few people go in for a sun roof to be installed on a vehicle that didn't have one as a built in option right from the factory.
If Webasto is a reliable place and they offer warranty,it would make sense getting work done with them.
Old 30th October 2007, 00:56   #6
BANNED

i just hate the fact they are too expensive, other than that id have one in every car i would own.
Old 31st October 2007, 00:29   #7
BHPian

planning for a webasto sun roof for my lancer ..

guys who already have sunroofs pls share your experience...

does it vibrate? or any issue's or problems you faced.
Old 14th May 2008, 00:21   #8
BHPian

I am looking ahead for sunroof in my Indigo XL. The Webasto people told me it's the water clogged in channels that sometimes drops in when you open the roof, and people think it's leaking / faulty. Not sure about this explanation.
Old 26th February 2011, 23:17   #9
BANNED

Re: Sun Roof for Optra Magnum Diesel..!!!

How much does a sliding type sunroof cost? preferably webasto because it is the best aftermarket sunroof.
And do they have manual type sunroof too which opens fully? Which one should be installed?

Most Viewed