Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2007, 12:40   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Looks like the VTEC is more in demand now, than when it was being produced.

Well,... it is. For sure. This realisation is what made me pull out of a exchange and settle deal with a Scorpio owner just in time 2 months ago
Old 9th November 2007, 14:09   #17
BHPian

hey shan2nu ..know what, i agree that the car pull well to the redline but you can literally see the fuel needle fall when you drive it that way rite?? or is it just my car?? but hey Am not complaining
Old 9th November 2007, 16:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey shan2nu ..know what, i agree that the car pull well to the redline but you can literally see the fuel needle fall when you drive it that way rite?? or is it just my car?? but hey Am not complaining
Usually when you acc, the fuel inside the tank keeps moving, causing the fuel guage to show a wrong read. Even when you just park your car on an incline/ decline, you will notice a slight increase/decrease in fuel level.

I've never seen my car give less han 9.5kmpl.

Shan2nu
Old 9th November 2007, 19:44   #19
BHPian

OT: Gosh from the increasing number of OHC VTECs on this forum, everyone seems to be grabbing OHC VTEC's these days before the opportunity disappears!

And oh boy 7,100 rpm and 58 km/h in 1st gear, and greeted by a wheel respin.

cya
A
Old 11th November 2007, 18:31   #20
BHPian

What a coincidence !!! I was looking at a 1.5 VTECH 2002 model, of late. It has done 79000 KMs and the owner is asking for 5.2L.

What you VTECH experts (and recent VTECH owners) think about this one?

I was thinking 79K is lot of running for a car. But then, for a Honda it must be just half the way. Am I right?
Old 11th November 2007, 19:46   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I wouldnt recommend picking up a used car with almost 80,000 kms on it, primary reason being that cars wear faster in our driving conditions (bumper to bumper traffic and so on). On the other hand, Iraghava's Vtec is close to 1.5 lac kms and (I believe) going strong. It really depends on how well-maintained the car is, but the odds arent really in your favour.

I'd suggest looking around a bit more for a lower mileage Vtec.
Old 12th November 2007, 01:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr chill View Post
dr chill, I too have noticed the fuel level going down when the car is revved like that and also major milege drop.. as low as 10 in the highway if I drive like that. I get a feeling that i'll hurt my baby at high Rpm's so i rarely drive that way... Have you also noticed any change in the sound of the engine after high Rev's ? I was also wondering if synthetic oil is recommended if I want to drive my car like that..

BTW...I was also hunting for a OHC for my cousin in chennai for couple of days and settled with a 1.3, 2003 model for 3.75lacs..It was a gold color one and the interiors were all stock and very well maintained. I could find around 10 OHC's and only one car with 1.5 engine and that was also an automatic(the asking price was 4.2L but we didnt go for it)..all the others were 1.3's. I was surprised to see 4 cars in white color..we really wanted a white colored one but all the cars had major touch up jobs and duplicate bumpers..

Last edited by navin_bhp : 12th November 2007 at 01:33.
Old 12th November 2007, 02:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
What a coincidence !!! I was looking at a 1.5 VTECH 2002 model, of late. It has done 79000 KMs and the owner is asking for 5.2L.

I was thinking 79K is lot of running for a car. But then, for a Honda it must be just half the way. Am I right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I wouldnt recommend picking up a used car with almost 80,000 kms on it, primary reason being that cars wear faster in our driving conditions (bumper to bumper traffic and so on). On the other hand, Iraghava's Vtec is close to 1.5 lac kms and (I believe) going strong. It really depends on how well-maintained the car is, but the odds arent really in your favour.

I'd suggest looking around a bit more for a lower mileage Vtec.
Rex - I would agree with what GTO says here. The mileage is too high for a used car & the price is too high too. Even though the cars do have a good enough life span (my car's odo is currently at 158k kms.) buying something which has already done 80k at that price is not a good move IMO.

You would probably not know what maintenance has been or more importantly has not been performed on the car & so could end up with a lemon.
Old 12th November 2007, 18:37   #24
BHPian

@navin bhp : i too rarely rev my car very hard.
@Iraghava : great to know that your car has clocked 158K ..my car has also done 100K+ a couple of months back with just work done on the suspensions and a new clutch.
Old 12th November 2007, 19:22   #25
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post

5.2L is way waaaay to high, recently i had found a 2001 vtec done 80K for 2.90L here in Delhi!
Old 12th November 2007, 22:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
5.2L is way waaaay to high, recently i had found a 2001 vtec done 80K for 2.90L here in Delhi!
But chances are that it being a Delhi car, the engine might be from a different car than the chassis, and it would have been abused till the car gives up. (This is usually the case when one tries to pick up a used car from a metro like Delhi or Bombay.)
Old 13th November 2007, 10:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
But chances are that it being a Delhi car, the engine might be from a different car than the chassis, and it would have been abused till the car gives up. (This is usually the case when one tries to pick up a used car from a metro like Delhi or Bombay.)

Sorry I beg to differ. One has to be careful while buying a used car - but rest assured there are VERY FEW incidents where the car is having an engine replaced etc. Just buy from a reliable source & check on the crucial parts / points with the help of a knowledgeable person. Or simply go with FIRST CHOICE or TRUE VALUE

Cheers
Old 13th November 2007, 12:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

there is a 2002 vtec for sale here for 3.75lacs done abt 60k kms.. worth a pick if it's in good shape? is it enough if i get the car checked out at the honda showroom?
Old 13th November 2007, 13:18   #29
BHPian

thanks for your replies and support guys well mines a 2002 model vtec got it for 3.60lk done 44000 km will post the pics as well
but i feel the car is a little sluggish man in first and 2nd she is like a rocket but the 3rd and 4th kidda suck its goes till 100 really fast but then slows down a lot well havent ripped it much just saying after a ride to gujrat this week end can it be the injectors or some thing also this was with my pipercross filter and plugs and guys it game an average of 12 on the highway pretty good naa
Old 13th November 2007, 16:02   #30
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Sorry I beg to differ. One has to be careful while buying a used car - but rest assured there are VERY FEW incidents where the car is having an engine replaced etc. Just buy from a reliable source & check on the crucial parts / points with the help of a knowledgeable person. Or simply go with FIRST CHOICE or TRUE VALUE

Cheers

True that!

The car was at a true value dealership! They were giving warranty and all on it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks