Team-BHP - Unevenly balding studless tyres
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Unevenly balding studless tyres (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/31109-unevenly-balding-studless-tyres.html)

[Note: If there is a related posting, pardon me! I could not find that in my search.]

My Accent has the following configuration:

1. Front: 175/70R13 Bridgestone
2. Rear : 185/70R13 Toyo Observe-X Studless, with Microbit Compound

Now, I'm seeing a very un-even balding for both the rear tyres. I naturally suspected the alignment for this. Today, I met the Sai Iyengar folks at Indiranagar and he tells me that studless tyres have a basic problem and that's the cause for the alignment issue which is inducing the balding.

I'm unable to find enough useful information about studless tyres, except that they're primarily winter tyres.

Can somebody share some information/comment on:
a. studless tyres
b. on my current configuration (175/70R13 front tyres and 185/70R13 rear tyres)
c. solution to the un-even balding

Regards
Rex

1. Rex, I'm sure you're not aware that Studless tyres are designed & manufactured for use in Icy & Snow conditions. They are NOT designed or recommended for use in our hot & humid conditions.

A lot of these studless tyres are making their way into our country since they are sold off in developed countries after using for one season (due to which they have a lot of tread left on them) and so are bought & sold very cheaply.

Here is a link about them & their intended usage by the company:
Toyo Tires - Observe™ X10

2. I would recommend you use same sized tyres on both ends & preferably of the same make & design too.

3. Change the tyres.

If the tyres are cupped badly the damage has been done, get another pair the same size and type as the front ones or replace all 4 with good quality tyres. Make sure they are the right size for your car. Do yourself a favor and do not try to save money by getting cheap tyres, get the best you can find. It makes a big difference on how well the car rides and handles.

If you have a cupped pattern, tread diminished at some places on the tyre more than other places, this suggests an out of balance condition, either the tyres, wheels or both or perhaps weak shocks and/or springs.

What you have described does not sound like a normal allignment problem. For allignment problems the wear pattern would usually be different, wear on outside edge or inside edge of tyre for example. If you have a scuffing pattern at a diagonal angle across the tyre then you may have serious damage to the rear suspension metal work causing the whole wheel assembly to be misalligned. This damage occurs from hitting an obstacle or bump at high speed and is not a common event. If you are the sole driver of this vehicle you would remember hitting such a bump.

[quote=DirtyDan;621611]Do yourself a favor and do not try to save money by getting cheap tyres, get the best you can find. It makes a big difference on how well the car rides and handles.

This is a used car I picked from a 'reliable' dealer and the tyres came with the car. I'm planning to change at least the two rear tyres (the front ones have decent tread life left) as soon as possible.

Regards
Rex

1. The front tyres are in good shape. So, can I change the rear and spare tyres only?

2. Front tyres are Bridgestone tubed tyres. Can I have the rear and spare ones changed to tubeless? Will that cause any issues?