Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2007, 19:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

This is one hell of an encouraging news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Gd, during my recent engine window shopping in chennai, I was told by an engine dealer that he sold a DICOR engine from a two-month old totaled safari for 55,000 bucks.

Only a pulley and one other component needed replacement which he did before he sold the engine.
Old 18th November 2007, 19:53   #17
BHPian

Came across two safaris being hastily taken apart in coimby. The engines usually turn up at Chennai or Blr. Both were 3.0L dicors. Surprisingly only one was a total loss. The other well you know...
Old 18th November 2007, 21:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

More encouraging news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
Came across two safaris being hastily taken apart in coimby. The engines usually turn up at Chennai or Blr. Both were 3.0L dicors. Surprisingly only one was a total loss. The other well you know...
Old 12th October 2008, 19:22   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

any update on 2.2L or 3L dicor swap inpace of 2L?

Hey folks,

Any update on someone actually swaping the 2L engine of the safari with either the 2.2L or 3L dicor engines. Am interested in going in for this kind of a swap if possible.
Old 18th June 2009, 16:14   #20
BHPian

Hi.
Hope the thread is still alive.
gd1418, did you finally make the swap?

I searched for this kind of threads now because i'm thinking on similar lines.
I saw quite a few totalled scorpios in a coupla garages and was wondering if I could salvage the drivetrain-engine+gearbox etc and put it into an old safari.
This would give me a RELIABLE AND FAST safari!!!
I think even the basic turbo non CRDe engine would make the safari a much more agile vehicle. But if I can get suggestions as to how to plonk in a CRDe 2.6 or the latest 2.2 it would be even better.

Advice please.
Old 19th June 2009, 12:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar0044 View Post
Hi.
Hope the thread is still alive.
gd1418, did you finally make the swap?

I think even the basic turbo non CRDe engine would make the safari a much more agile vehicle.
Advice please.
I do not think safari comes with non turbo engines. TCIC is turbo intercooler.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGolden View Post
I do not think safari comes with non turbo engines. TCIC is turbo intercooler.
Yup. Safari always came with a Turbo Charged Inter Cooled (hence TCIC) engine. But it was still a sluggish vehicle

Safari TCIC :90 hp @ 4300 @rpm. Torque, 19Kgm @2000-3000 @rpm
Scorpio turbo: 109 HP @ 3800 rpm Torque, RPM 26Kgm @ 1800rpm

As can be seen from the above figures, the scorpio's turbo engine is more powerful and has more torque than the safari's turbo engine. I was referring to the scorp's turbo engine as the "turbo-non crde" only to differentiate it from the "turbo crde" engine and was not tryin to say that scorp's engine is turbocharged and safari's isnt.

Hmm..
Still waitin for some advice here.
Any garage in Bangalore good in such transplant jobs?
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:07   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I Dont recommend a conversion of the kind suggested. (Safari = Scropio combo) The Safari TCIC Engine is quite reliable. If swapped it could be with the 3 ltr. Dicor, which too may be lying a similar condition as the Scropio 2.6 CRDI after accidents.

The Drive Train of all the Safari's are quite good and in that sense possibly better than that of the Scropio.

Safari suffered from Interior Plastic quality in the initial years, even that is better today.
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
I was planning to do this before I picked up my DICOR.
A lot of mounting positions change. The gearbox has to move back by about 4 inches, the battery has to switch sides, the engine bed brackets have to be relocated and the radiator has to be changed as also your intercooler plumbing.
Possible with a good mechanic and lots of time.
Best of luck with your search for an engine.
Since the hassle is the same to switch to either the scorp engine or the safari DICOR engine, i'd prefer to go in for the scorp engine as it's more usable in the city(as inferred by reading many threads in Team BHP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
I dont think it is worth the hassle.. Additionally the local mechanics will have serious trouble working on the complex electronics that control the CRD .. Not many of them have even seen a common rail.

My tuppence
Hmm.. good point. that's why I wanna avoid Common rail engines from any maker. And as per Gaurav (RedMM340),

The crde is a computer controlled engine and is very difficult to tune. Plus if you have computer problem, it will be expensive to repair. Keep in mind the only point of crde is emission control.
I have a 2.6 turbo (non-crde) and like it much better. Totally tuneable for extra power. No computer keeps it simple. Put in a bigger intercooler, raise the boost pressure, increase fuel flow, and you will make crde Scorpios eat your dust.

If at all i go in for a crde, I might be tempted to use a MM CRDe engine(Bosch Injection) but would rather stay away from TATA(Delphi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I Dont recommend a conversion of the kind suggested. (Safari = Scropio combo) The Safari TCIC Engine is quite reliable. If swapped it could be with the 3 ltr. Dicor, which too may be lying a similar condition as the Scropio 2.6 CRDI after accidents.

The Drive Train of all the Safari's are quite good and in that sense possibly better than that of the Scropio.

Safari suffered from Interior Plastic quality in the initial years, even that is better today.
Yes, the TCIC drivetrain is quite reliable but - NO POWER! And the DICOR is powerful but - narrow power band. (and it is a common rail system from delphi)
AND i'm on a budget!
This is what i'm expectin to spend:
old safari - 1 lakh
scorp engine+gearbox - 70-80 g (NON CRDe)
labor etc - 60-70 g
So with 3L I should be able to do this swap!

ACM, do you know someone who can do the TCIC to DICOR swap?preferably in Bangalore.
Maybe i can convince them to do a TCIC to 2.6turbo swap
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:56   #25
BHPian

This is something I wanted to do a loooooooooong time ago. But will be hard to retain 4x4 unless you get a 4x4 scorpio engine and tranny..

Watching this thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

This thread is getting a wake up call every year & our guruji seems to have given up on the idea. Right choice too.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

why not look for better turbo , head mods , exhausts , chip tunning etc etc to make the same old engine faster.
Old 29th June 2009, 10:26   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Got into this thread with the objective of trying a swap - 2.2L or 3L Dicor for 2L TCIC. in the end figured it was not worth it.

An old base model (LX) 3L Dicor could be had for less than 4L today, so no point in taking a 1.5 L Investment on 2L TCIC and then buying a 3L DICOR for about 1L and then going through the complicated engineering to do a major heart transplant.

The Dicor and CRDe engines both have complicated ECU controls so a swap would not be that easy but for sure a TATA to TATA swap would be easier to manage but dont recommend it.

Am based out of Mumbai so dont know any guy who can do this in Bangalore.

For anyone already owning a 2L TCIC, I would suggest the following to get a bit of a power boost.

1) Turbojet Fuel
2) Get rid of the entire content (filters) of the old CAT Converter that you would have. (Would affect the PUC test but who really checks?) Have done this and the engine now really sings. - This had a major impact for me.
3) Carbon cleaning + engine flush.
4) Keep area ahead of front grill free of add on Halogens that block air intake to the engine and the increased temp of the air intake is not great for the Turbo.
5) Go to a tunner like Kirrus (In Mumbai) who would be able to tune the car for better power. The more famous ones like Pete dont have a solution for the TCIC.

The 2L TCIC and 3L Dicor are not too different in terms of power, the 2.2 though does have an edge. as 90 BHP only goes up to about 115 BHP with but with an approx 500 kg increase in wt.
Old 29th June 2009, 10:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ACM : Got into this thread with the objective of trying a swap - 2.2L or 3L Dicor for 2L TCIC. in the end figured it was not worth it.
As much as I would love to plonk that 3.0 Dicor into the Sumo, I dont think it is going to be that simple or problem free. If it really gets to me, then I too would just swap the entire truck.

Quote:
ACM : 1) Turbojet Fuel
Has not helped my 2.0 TCIC much. Prefer basic Shell + System-D. But that's going on a tangent.

Quote:
ACM : .. only goes up to about 115 BHP with but with an approx 500 kg increase in wt.
You're wrong on this point. 500kg is the entire pay-load.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:19   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar0044 View Post
And the DICOR is powerful but - narrow power band. (and it is a common rail system from delphi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The 2L TCIC and 3L Dicor are not too different in terms of power, the 2.2 though does have an edge. as 90 BHP only goes up to about 115 BHP with but with an approx 500 kg increase in wt.
This is OT for this specific thread but the 3.0 was never about power. It has always been about torque - 300Nm from 1600 rpm onwards is no joke.
The engine was never meant to be revved either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks