Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 19:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Roof box

I have a Thule Roof Top box, model Ocean 200 for my Ertiga. I had purchased it and used it extensively on my Opel Corsa Sail for several years and after I bought my Ertiga I moved the set up over to the Ertiga.

A picture is available at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-counting.html at pg 4.

Happy to give you any review or feedback on it.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Hi Ketan,
Did you install any roof boxes on the XUV.
I am also half minded in going for roof box on my XUV 500.

Thanks
Mathews
Thule and Tropicool were two options for roof box, tropicool being a decent quality with less than half the price of Thule was the option I was considering. The Tropicool guy from Pune asked me to do a bit of fabrication to mount on the XUV since they don't have the exact mount for the type of rails we have. I dropped the idea temporarily and then haven't thought about it or never really felt a strong desire to do so since then.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 21:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thule and Tropicool were two options for roof box, tropicool being a decent quality with less than half the price of Thule was the option I was considering. The Tropicool guy from Pune asked me to do a bit of fabrication to mount on the XUV since they don't have the exact mount for the type of rails we have. I dropped the idea temporarily and then haven't thought about it or never really felt a strong desire to do so since then.
So how much is Tropicool quoting for the covered box (breakup of installation and equipment charges) ? What capacity ?
Old 5th February 2016, 11:17   #19
BHPian

I was contemplating for a roof box (Thule preferably) for My 2014 XUV500. Unfortunately the stock roof rail cannot hold any accessories for the roof box. How to modify the stock roof rail . Can any one throw some light in this aspect.
Old 29th November 2016, 19:29   #20
BHPian

Has anyone tried the roof box from Ajanta Enterprises? I am thinking of getting one for my Ecosport. Here is what they have to offer: http://www.ajantain.com/roof_box_-_cargo_box They have quoted a price of 15K all inclusive but wanted to see if anyone has any prior experience with their products, build quality, etc.
ashua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 19:18   #21
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thule Touring M + Cargoloc 46" Cross Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
I have a Thule Roof Top box, model Ocean 200 for my Ertiga.
Thanks Raja, I went with your suggestion and went ahead with Thule Touring M for my Duster. The Ocean range has been renamed as the Touring name now. Methods, Bangalore were a treat to deal with. I got the Box nicely packed and delivered at my doorstep in Jaipur within 1 week.

I had searched for other Indian options Ajanta, Anjani, Roadcamp and Modula (Italian) and B&B Racks (Taiwan) too. Following was my experience:

Ajanta - Did not call back
Road Camp - Did not have stock.
Anjani - Responded late.
Modula - Responded late.
B&B Racks - Responded quickly but did not even give a quote or technical details.

Here are some pictures of the roof box:

Roof box-45c601b5a2644c15a591d8fbe182514acollage.jpg

Quick clamps and tie down straps inside the box.

Roof box-0ebacef425144637947a09b988305435collage.jpg

Got the cross bars from amazon. They are of Cargoloc brand which is owned by some allied tools company (USA). Built in china though.

Roof box-38a0bc704c404c6da3a2d5cfefff7190collage.jpg

Roof box-b88e7aa288c640d4a122c6f3650e16ebcollage.jpg

And this is how the cross bars look on the car.

Roof box-img6416.jpg

Do they whistle?? ... YES. 75-80 kmph is when the whistling begins. It is drowned down in the music volume though. And I am also hoping the whistling won't be there when the roof box goes on.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 16:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Got the cross bars from amazon. They are of Cargoloc brand which is owned by some allied tools company (USA). Built in china though.
Hey TGO, how much did the cross bars cost when you bought them? They currently cost 16.5K which brings them pretty close to the price of the Thule cross bars.

Also, does your duster have the new roof-rails which are slanting on the outside and vertical on the inside?

I have the same Thule box which I bought for my Punto but now looking to port it over to the Duster. Neither the cross bars nor the roof mounts from Punto can be used on the Duster so I was planning to buy the Thule cross bars but then saw your post and thought I would check.
Old 1st September 2020, 00:12   #23
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinder View Post
Hey TGO, how much did the cross bars cost when you bought them?
They cost 10k when I bought them. Thule ones are also about 16k. I didn’t pursue since I had ordered these and they were in transit. I guess the mounting feet will be an additional expense with Thule cross bars.

I have the 2015 Duster, more pics available here.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 23:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinder View Post
Hey TGO, how much did the cross bars cost when you bought them? They currently cost 16.5K which brings them pretty close to the price of the Thule cross bars.

Also, does your duster have the new roof-rails which are slanting on the outside and vertical on the inside?

I have the same Thule box which I bought for my Punto but now looking to port it over to the Duster. Neither the cross bars nor the roof mounts from Punto can be used on the Duster so I was planning to buy the Thule cross bars but then saw your post and thought I would check.

The Cargoloc cross bars aren’t available on Amazon. I placed an order and it got cancelled. I bought a similar pair online for 8k but they don’t fit my XL6 as I need longer bars. These were 120cm and the XL6 width needs anything above 130. Am now looking for someone who would be interested in buying them.

If you need longer bars then try the site cyclop.in they have a BNB roof rack and foot pack available in various lengths. Am going to put mine on sale in classifieds shortly.
Old 23rd March 2021, 17:58   #25
BANNED

Guys
How is the material/build/fit and finish quality of the Ajanta roof boxes? I want to fix the tiny i20 roof box in the the truckbed of my open Gypsy to lockup valuables and cameras and food stuffs etc when I go touring. I had a few episodes of Monkeys ransacking my food basket while I was sight-seeing recently.

Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 12:48   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Thanks Raja, I went with your suggestion and went ahead with Thule Touring M for my Duster.
Hi Tgo, how's your Thule box doing? I am also looking at a roof box & bars/feet combo for my G20 330i but Thule has jacked up their prices big time now and availability is also an issue.

Was idly looking at Amazon and (to my amazement), found this Italian brand called FARAD offering a big range of roof-boxes. Anyone have any idea about them?

https://www.amazon.in/s?k=farad+roof&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
https://www.faradindia.com/en
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 13:03   #27
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi Tgo, how's your Thule box doing?

Was idly looking at Amazon and (to my amazement), found this Italian brand called FARAD offering a big range of roof-boxes. Anyone have any idea about them?
The roof box is lying in the store room. Its not on the car permanently. I removed the cross-bars too since the whistling used to get annoying.

The basics of all roof boxes are the same. Farad should be good enough since use is anyways going to be occasional.
  • Just get the cross bars which have least possible wind noise.
  • The roof box on the car did not contribute to any wind noise in my case. With or without it, the wind noise remained the same.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 19:22   #28
SBP

I ordered from Farad directly as they were able to advice me on the bars and fitment required for XL6. The included instructions were poor but their team was extremely helpful in guiding me to set it up.

I will share the pictures shortly.
SBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi Tgo, how's your Thule box doing? I am also looking at a roof box & bars/feet combo for my G20 330i but Thule has jacked up their prices big time now and availability is also an issue.

https://www.amazon.in/s?k=farad+roof&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
https://www.faradindia.com/en
SBP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 22:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP View Post
I ordered from Farad directly as they were able to advice me on the bars and fitment required for XL6.
SBP
Did they also advice you of the weight limits for the roof of you car? The makers recomend only loading up with soft materiels like clothes and shoes.
You wont be able to load more than 50-70 kilos depending on your car.
There is also the speed limit of 130 km/hour for the Thule box. The center og gravity will be moved upwards.

I have driven a car once with a roof box and it was vey uncomfortable at speed on the motorway especially in side winds. The corners too were not the same.

My heavy car weighing 2700 kg is certified for only 50 kilos. That means about 15 kilos of T-shirts and a few other cloths.

There have been cases of roof boxes falling off and injuring or killing people in head on crashes. In one crash the box has about 150 kilos of spare parts. The box ended up inside the other car.

9 out of 10 failed in a test. Thule came out best. You have to use Google for this link.
https://www.elbilmagasinet.media/hom...oleklar-vinner
Old 16th July 2021, 00:22   #30
SBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Did they also advice you of the weight limits for the roof of you car? The makers recomend only loading up with soft materiels like clothes and shoes.
You wont be able to load more than 50-70 kilos depending on your car.
There is also the speed limit of 130 km/hour for the Thule box. The center og gravity will be moved upwards.

I have driven a car once with a roof box and it was vey uncomfortable at speed on the motorway especially in side winds. The corners too were not the same.

My heavy car weighing 2700 kg is certified for only 50 kilos. That means about 15 kilos of T-shirts and a few other cloths.
From my understanding, XL6 roof rack supports 75 kgs. The box weighs 15 kg and the rails another 10 kgs, so that leaves 50 kg for the luggage. FARAD box is also rated by TUV for city crash which is comparable in rating with Thule. Even I was looking to get Thule and already have the footpacks I ordered from US before the pandemic. But I did not get support in Bangalore and then found that FARAD was selling in India. I will be testing the handling with the box before the end of the month. I plan to use the box for voluminous luggage and keep the heavy pieces in the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks