Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2007, 10:32   #1

Swift "Sunlight metallic copper" color car painting

Hi car gurus,
Help me regarding repainting the car
"I bought a new swift VXI (Sunlight Metallic copper color). But now having some sratches in front bumper and back pumber. when I asked the servicing guy (Maruti servicing centre), he told me that it will cost to repaint both the bumpers total 6000/- (front bumper 3000 + back bumper 3000). So I am planning to claim insurance for this and get it done. My query is, Will the repainted color is same as original? Can we make difference between the repainted car color part with the original one? Shall I go for repainting? Pls clarify my doubt
Old 20th November 2007, 10:51   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj View Post
Hi car gurus,
Help me regarding repainting the car
"I bought a new swift VXI (Sunlight Metallic copper color). But now having some sratches in front bumper and back pumber. when I asked the servicing guy (Maruti servicing centre), he told me that it will cost to repaint both the bumpers total 6000/- (front bumper 3000 + back bumper 3000). So I am planning to claim insurance for this and get it done. My query is, Will the repainted color is same as original? Can we make difference between the repainted car color part with the original one? Shall I go for repainting? Pls clarify my doubt
I would suggest you please check with your local workshop and get it done yourself at a reasonable cost and not claim your insurance at an early stage.
Old 20th November 2007, 11:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nowadays, the paint job done by the authorised dealers will be more or less matches with the colour of the car. But since your car colour is very specific, I do not think it will be visible with the ***** eyes. Only when you leen down and observe carefully, you may find the difference. Moreover, your car is new. So don't worry about the colour difference.

Claiming insurance in early stage is not advisable as you may be eroded off the no claim bonus which will account to about 30~35% of the insurance premium at the time of renewal. So, just calculate if the repaint cost is more than the no claim bonus, then claim the insurance and if not the vice versa.

Also check up with the local mechanics (Paint shops) what cost they are charging and iif it is only marginal difference, I would advice you to god for the authorised dealer as they are anyday better than the local guys.
Old 20th November 2007, 12:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

gururaj

There won't be any paint issue since its only the bumpers..When it comes to the metal parts repainting thats when there's some difference seen in paint..Although not every person can indentify it. Only ppl who know about bodyshop work can identify the difference. Hope there's no cut in the bumper.
Claiming insurance in early stage is not advisable
Old 20th November 2007, 12:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

As the others here have already mentioned, there is no need to claim insurance to get the repainting done. As far as the work itself is concerned, yours being a new car the dealer workshop would be able to maintain the consistency of colour and that shouldnt be a reason to be concerned about.

A question to the others : Dont you think the quote provided is a bit too steep?!

Gururaj, could you put up some pics of the scratches, if its not too much of an issue.
Old 20th November 2007, 12:46   #6

Hi.... U had mentioned "Not claim your insurance at an early stage". Can I know why? What are the drawbacks if I claim insurance at an early stage?
Old 23rd November 2007, 07:30   #7
BANNED

The quote for the paint job is too steep. The dealer is taking you for a ride !

Try other reputed paint booths !
Old 23rd November 2007, 08:39   #8
BHPian

Interestingly, I too own a sunlight copper swift vxi and have been planning to get some dents and scratches on the LHS repaired for some time now. I've two big scratches - one on the front door and the other on the rear wheel arch. Plus, the rear door also has myriad minor scratches...

The dealer quoted me 8000/- for repainting the front door, rear door and the wheel arch. How much do you think I can bring that down to? and how much would the NCB be for the first year on a swift?

How will a touch-up job look on the rear door?
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:04   #9
BHPian

Its better if you approach other reputed paint booths.Recently, the authorised dealers quoted me 2k for painting the fender.I got it done at a local paint shop for 1k..!!
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:33   #10
BHPian

Why dont you guys accumulate the scratches and do the painting once a year.Atleast in Bangalore with the crazy two wheelers, autos and BPO cabs its become a daily routine to get the bumpers scratched.You will have to run every second day to get the car painted. Claiming insurance will increase the premium,read this interesting article by Ajmat :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-premiums.html
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:02   #11
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Can we claim Insurance for something like scartches?
I though you should claim it only when your car is badly damaged.
Old 24th November 2007, 10:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Metallic Sunlight copper is a more expensive color to begin with. The paint comes at a premium.
Old 24th November 2007, 10:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A question to the others : Dont you think the quote provided is a bit too steep?!
It is. I think a new bumper will cost that much.

Gururaj - get a localized touch up done on the scratched areas only. Should cost you < Rs 1000 for both bumpers put together, assuming the scratched areas are contained.
Old 24th November 2007, 10:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

hey guru,

dont get the job done at any roadside workshop.maybe you can save some penuts but the fading rate of diff colors are diff and depending on manufacture also fading rate differs.so if at all you get a sunlight copper looking color in the begining the color changes after some months if you get the job done outside.

ram
Old 24th November 2007, 22:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

It is better that you get the job done at a dealers/a reputed professional paint shop.

Roadside jobs are never good enough. You will regret skimping on a few hundred/thousand rupees.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks