Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2007, 20:57   #1
BHPian

single rear leaf on bolero & other SUVs??

Just yesterday, i'd spoken to this guy in coorg. he claims that his friend's somebody has installed a SINGLE leaf over each of his rear tyres in his BOLERO!
i asked him for more details- apparently those leafs are are about 2.5 to 3 times the size of a normal leaf(at least that's what i comprehended when he showed me the thickness of the leaf with his fingers) i've sadly not been able to see this vehicle. he says the owner got it installed somewhere in coimbatore for about 22 k for the set of 2 leafs. the leafs are supposed to be manufactured by VOLVO and supposedly makes the ride amazingly comfortable.
since i've not been able to see this vehicle, i had a few doubts- the main thing- can this really be done, i mean do any of you guys know something like this?
Old 26th November 2007, 10:46   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by croonneck View Post
Just yesterday, i'd spoken to this guy in coorg. he claims that his friend's somebody has installed a SINGLE leaf over each of his rear tyres in his BOLERO!
i asked him for more details- apparently those leafs are are about 2.5 to 3 times the size of a normal leaf(at least that's what i comprehended when he showed me the thickness of the leaf with his fingers) i've sadly not been able to see this vehicle. he says the owner got it installed somewhere in coimbatore for about 22 k for the set of 2 leafs. the leafs are supposed to be manufactured by VOLVO and supposedly makes the ride amazingly comfortable.
since i've not been able to see this vehicle, i had a few doubts- the main thing- can this really be done, i mean do any of you guys know something like this?
Man.. I have seen suspension upgrades which entails to stiffer springs, reduction in rebound by playing with the viscosity of oil that is present inside the strut or an anti-roll bar being installed to reduce body roll. Upgrading leaf-springs is somewhat unheard of, mainly because why someone who wants a good suspension setup, would go in for a vehicle with a leaf-spring setup in the first place?

Having said that, I would be interested to know some more details about this one. If I understand you correctly, your friend has removed the set (usually it is a set) of OE leafs and instead installed an after-market single leaf on both sides. Sounds like it can be done, although I have had no encounters with upgraded leaf springs. But again as in the case of many aftermarket jobs, the reliability of this setup can be questionable.

Please do let us know more details about this vehicle. Post a few pics if possible.
Old 28th November 2007, 11:21   #3
BHPian

quote:-
"I would be interested to know some more details about this one. If I understand you correctly, your friend has removed the set (usually it is a set) of OE leafs and instead installed an after-market single leaf on both sides. Sounds like it can be done, although I have had no encounters with upgraded leaf springs. But again as in the case of many aftermarket jobs, the reliability of this setup can be questionable.

Please do let us know more details about this vehicle. Post a few pics if possible."

what i understood is what you mentioned,about him taking out the standard leafs and fitting these new ones. even i was having these doubts exactly about the reliability part of it. since i've never met this person it'll be hard to get more details. anyway will try hard to find this person.
Old 11th January 2008, 07:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did hear about such a mod when i mentioned that the MM 540 DP has a very hard suspension to a old school driver. He suggested to replace the rear leaf springs with less number of elements and with more gauge.
Old 11th January 2008, 08:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

these are compostie fiber leaf springs.. they are generally very broad and a single piece unit

a member at scorpio fans got it done to his scorpio.. here's the link:
Composite Fiber Suspension | Mahindra Scorpio owners club
Old 11th January 2008, 11:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful.

The Figreglass spring is made in the India. It is available for other vehicles including the Maruti 800. And it's certified by the ARAI.

Nice.
Old 11th January 2008, 11:45   #7
BHPian

Interesting.....but i guess it would void the warranty.
How will a softer suspension affect the Bolero's offroad behaviour? Will it bottom out too soon?

-- Torqy
Old 11th January 2008, 15:35   #8
BHPian

it would be interesting to know how these would perform with full load and at good speed... will it bottom or will it be a bang bang ride on every uneven platform.
Old 11th January 2008, 20:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
these are compostie fiber leaf springs.. they are generally very broad and a single piece unit
The Corvette, which is considered a great handling car, came with a fibre leaf spring setup in the rear the Z06 had such a setup.

Corvette leaf spring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11th January 2008, 21:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Edmund has put this fiber leaf spring in his SS80 a long time ago. He would be the best person here to tell us about the longterm performance of these springs.

Edmund are you here?
Old 13th January 2008, 23:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Composite Fibre single Leaf Spring is being manufactured by someone and certified by ARAI in Jalgaon, Mah. It has been installed in a Scorpio at Pune and has been reported to have a better riding quality and lessened body roll.

It costs 19K for a pair with the U clamps and can be fitted by any reasonable local garagewallah. I have no idea about the warranty issues.
Old 13th January 2008, 23:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinaygv View Post
The Corvette, which is considered a great handling car, came with a fibre leaf spring setup in the rear the Z06 had such a setup.

Corvette leaf spring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Huge difference in the setup of the Corvette leaf spring setup and the conventional leaf spring set up.

From what i could make out from the picture is that the Corvette leaf spring is only doing the duty of a spring. Wheel location is not it's job, for that it has a wishbone lower arm.

In the conventional leaf setups the leafs are doing two things: the wheel is located by the leaf springs themselves and also doing it's job as a spring.

And yes the Corvette had two leaf springs one for the front 2 wheels and one for the rear two wheels. Very clever!

Last edited by Sankar : 13th January 2008 at 23:21.
Old 14th January 2008, 18:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Huge difference in the setup of the Corvette leaf spring setup and the conventional leaf spring set up.
That's true, was just trying to show, that the leafspring, though humble has sporting pretensions as well
Old 16th January 2008, 11:31   #14
BHPian

Not meaning to hijack this thread.........i got to drive a Qualis on the usual bad roads i regularly drive a Bolero 2WD. The difference was SIGNIFICANT. I could drive at double the usual speed (a jump from 5kmph to 10kmph) and complete the distance in half the time. The ride was MUCH MUCH comfortable than the Bolero.

Now how can i get my Bolero to behave like that?

-- Torqy
Old 16th January 2008, 23:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread.........i got to drive a Qualis on the usual bad roads i regularly drive a Bolero 2WD. The difference was SIGNIFICANT. I could drive at double the usual speed (a jump from 5kmph to 10kmph) and complete the distance in half the time. The ride was MUCH MUCH comfortable than the Bolero.

Now how can i get my Bolero to behave like that?

-- Torqy
maybe you should get the composite springs too

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Composite Fibre single Leaf Spring is being manufactured by someone and certified by ARAI in Jalgaon, Mah. It has been installed in a Scorpio at Pune and has been reported to have a better riding quality and lessened body roll.

It costs 19K for a pair with the U clamps and can be fitted by any reasonable local garagewallah. I have no idea about the warranty issues.
thanks a lot for the information, i've been dying to find out more about what my friend was talking about. i checked out the link too, think i'll contact the guy, if i ever have any more doubts although, i too would want to know how they perform under load

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks