Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 11:26   #1
BHPian

Query: santro modifications/servicing

Hi Team,
I have a Dec 2003 Santro Xing (top end model,fondly called as "popat" by me and my wife because of its color).
This is a used car purchased through Automart. I bought it in Feb this year and it has done 7K Kms since then; Total 42 K on the meter. This popat is in fairly good condition (engine and body), may be because the previous owner was a lady doctor(BTW, is this a myth or a reality for all the Doctor owners?)
Now, I want to spend some money on Popat, and my list is like this. I need suggestions on good products and specifications and shops.
1. Tyres. Existing ones are showing a little baldness here and there and I could hear a little screeching noise on sharp turns. Also I feel the Vibration on steering on Highways post 90 kmph; particularly on cement surfaces. I am not sure how much balancing and alingment will help.
2. Clutch. I got popat serviced just 2 weeks ago but now whenever I shift gears I get a little jerk and a faint "dhupp" noise below my feet. Also, pickup in 1st and 2nd gear has somewhat reduced and if I push the gas a little bit more, engine makes Godzilla noise. This problem has surfaced 2nd or 3rd time since I bought it. Do you guys think any clutch needs replacement post 40K?. On the 3rd,4th and 5th, it is a pure pleasure though; be it city,highway or ghat. And surprisingly I dont feel that jerk that much on 3rd,4th and 5th.
3. I have no knowledge about K&N filters, free flow exhaust. Should I go for them as well?.
4. Sunfilm.
5. Just a query: may be its psychological, is there anyway I can improve power steering response? I cheked the PS Fluid, it seems to be adeqautely filled up.
Apart from these I dont think anything else is required to be done.This is my first car and it has been real fun driving it;considering ever worsening traffic conditions here in Pune. I am really satisfied by its performance.(never mind the minor issues, they keep on coming). I have got 16 on avg. on Highways and 12/13 in city (around 50 % AC).
As I mentioned earlier, I am in Pune. So Moralfibre,Kapsi and anyone who is in Pune might just refer good places to do these upgrades/servicing.(Turbosam: do you touch only TATA vehicles? LOL..just kidding)
One more thing, I would really appreciate if anyone can have look at popat, and suggest accordingly, please PM me. My office (Capgemini) is on Bund Garden Road, opp. Cusrow Wadia college. I dont prefer to take these questions to a dealer beacuse it would be "just one of the 100s of other cars" and I may not get un-biased and honest opinions.
Mods: I hope I have posted it at right place.
P.S. Till last month I was thinkning of going for Stile 1.1 SLX, but I have postponed my plans( I know, it hurts me. After all, I was planning for THE PALIO..nothing less anyways !. Cheers and Thanks.
Old 6th December 2007, 14:59   #2
BHPian

Tyres for my car

In addition to my queries above, here is one more. I think 165/65 R 13 would be good for my car. Please suggest. Which brand should I go for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks