Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 19:07   #1
BHPian

Suspension for Tata Indica turbo

tata indica turbo dlx is a great car. moreso it is cheap on maintainenace and ideal for day to day commuting!

the major hitch regarding this car is that the ride is not too great.and the major culprit in this is suspension of the car along with tire. tire is already been discussed in another section.
i start this one with following query:

indica has got bad suspensions. i compare it to second only to auto rickshaw, almost all the potholes are dearly felt in the car. so what is the remedy?

can we change the suspension of the car, like upgrading into a more advanced (ultraperformance) suspension. is something like this available in the market? where? at what price? what is the price of OE suspensions?
Old 5th July 2009, 19:41   #2
BHPian

The other day I had the opportunity to get dropped in the 2007 indica - the one that was released around the time they released the Indica with a dicor engine. This model had changed the outer rear view mirrors to the kind that don't close properly

What is noticeably different about this model from mine (2006 June - turbo charged V2) is the suspension seemed much more tolerating. Anyone here know if there was a change in the suspension or is it just because it is a newer car. Now when I say newer car, it doesn't mean it has a lower odo. Mine has 37K and this one (a taxi) had over 70K.
Old 11th July 2009, 01:42   #3
BHPian

Ag Customs

Hello user if i sugest to you that looking for a smooth ride, then you should see towars the aftermarket shocks which are in different models like for racing or city ride or off roading. Many companies provide you these types of shocks but in my opinion KONI MOTORSPORT is best not as dealer point but tested.
Old 11th July 2009, 07:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

i own a 2007 indica. the potholes arent much of an issue, but cornering is . I wish i had a more planted suspension
the indigo CS has a rear anti roll bar. The indica doesnt , and you cant fit one to the indica either :(

I doubt if there are any aftermarket shocks that give you a better ride.

I'd say the best thing to do would be to use better tyres and maintain the right air pressure ( not the tata recommended one - just play around and find which one suits your car the most)

Also , the ride in a DLG/GLX turbo would be a bit different due to the 14" rims
Old 11th July 2009, 17:24   #5
BHPian

FYI, The suspension spring constants and damper stiffnesses are different for NA-Diesel, TDI, Dicor, and petrol vehicles. These parameters are tuned to accomodate the differences in vehicle weight and tyre dimensions. So it is guaranteed that the feel will be different. As Greenhorn says, may be you can play around with tyre pressures and fix on one that makes you feel comfortable. Again too less pressure would lead to fuel economy drop also. As well, do check if the damper works.
Old 12th July 2009, 18:30   #6
BHPian

I'm talking about two diesels - both DLG tdi engines. It can't be that different from that point of view - either from weight or tyre dimension.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:25   #7
BHPian

Modifying an Indica Turbo

Hi Folks,
I've decided I'll postpone my purchase decision (for a Manza) to wait a bit and try my hand at modifying my Indica Turbo to what I feel it lacks. I'm too much in love with this baby to sell it for what I feel it is not a good price.

I need a modified suspension, especially the one from the 1st gen Indigo. Is that better ,or is the new twist beam setup (from the Manza) better ? How can I get that done? Would love to get contacts in Bangalore. I have asked once at Concorde , but they said they cannot do it. What is the approximate cost?

I would like to raise the ground clearance to match (or beat) that of a Palio Adventure - Sticking to practicality , no monster truck needed here. Of course bigger wheels / alloys may be part of the picture. But the feedback about alloys so far is that they are only about the looks. Please let me know as technically as possible.

Does replacing the clutch make the vehicle smoother ? I've done about 45000 km right now. I know this gaddi can run upto 1.3 - 1.4 lakh kilometres for sure. Haven't done it before.

Thanks in advance for your replies and time.

Last edited by rpmx1000 : 24th November 2009 at 14:34.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:46   #8
BHPian

My response in Bold. To give a better answer, I need to understand, what are your goals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Hi Folks,

I need a modified suspension, especially the one from the 1st gen Indigo. Is that better ,or is the new twist beam setup (from the Manza) better ? How can I get that done? Would love to get contacts in Bangalore. I have asked once at Concorde , but they said they cannot do it. What is the approximate cost?
What are you trying to accomplish by this?

I would like to raise the ground clearance to match (or beat) that of a Palio Adventure - Sticking to practicality , no monster truck needed here.
Why do you feel the need to do this?

Of course bigger wheels / alloys may be part of the picture. But the feedback about alloys so far is that they are only about the looks. Please let me know as technically as possible.
Alloys reduce the unsprung weight of a car - this improves handling and braking to an extent.

Thanks in advance for your replies and time.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
My response in Bold. To give a better answer, I need to understand, what are your goals?
Thanks for your response, viper.

1) To improve the ride. I'm not too happy with the suspension especially with
the way it handles potholes at high speed.Don't feel I should spend on a new car
for that.I know the Indigo suspension is pretty good.Every time I test a new car , I make sure I test the suspension thoroughly.

2) Raising the suspension - Improve ground clearance for some good reasons , and then just for the heck of it - To hell with the looks.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:01   #10
BHPian

@RPM
To improve the ride is a good idea - but changing to a twist beam set-up is not going to be easy at all. My suggestion would be try a gas filled shock absorbers. You could also try slightly higher profile tyres - When I shifted to alloys, I put 175/65 profile tyres instead of 165/65 and it made some difference. This also raised the car slightly.

with reference to your mention of Indigo's suspension - the Indigo has a multi-link independent rear suspension. The boot allows for better positioning of the multi-link arms which leads to superior ride. The Indica has the most minimal overhang at the rear. this is one of the reasons for the huge difference between the two cars' ride quality.

Last edited by viper_711 : 24th November 2009 at 15:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks