Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 15:27   #1

advice request: Is broken silencer a problem ? make:Fiat Petra

All of a sudden my silencer started making loud noise, on inspection I found that a chunck of pipe had come off just before the bigger silencer drum

when I showed it to a mechanic he said this would not any negtive effect on the rest of the car and I am not very keen in getting this fixed as I like the sporty sound

Can you guys please advice whether not fixing this problem will have any negative effect on the engine or any other part of the car ?

-Thanks a lot
Old 11th December 2007, 16:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

You will lose out on low end torque due to absense of backpressure, and gain on high end power.
Its a cheap way of getting a free flow exhaust.
Old 11th December 2007, 16:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Until the whole thing falls off & your car sounds worse than a tractor! Then you gotta replace it unless you want to become hard of hearing soon!!
Old 11th December 2007, 20:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

As long as your primary muffler is intact,you should have any probs. The tractor like sound will only come if the pipe before the primary muffler gets damaged.

Power wise, i don't think you'l see any difference.

Shan2nu
Old 12th December 2007, 01:26   #5

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You will lose out on low end torque due to absense of backpressure, and gain on high end power.
Its a cheap way of getting a free flow exhaust.
i think that will only happen if the pipe before the primary muffler gets broken.
Old 12th December 2007, 03:28   #6
BANNED

i had this scenario with my zen.
you'll lose on low end torque as said earlier, maybe fuel economy too and when you replace the silencer i think the you don't get the orinal torque and pickup back. + you are creating noise pollution!

Just my experience, hope you have better luck with the sporty sound.
Old 12th December 2007, 18:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

carbon monoxide

I would first and foremost be concerned about where the exhaust gasses might be going. You do not want that stuff to accumulate in your vehicle, .......carbon monoxide poisoning.
Old 12th December 2007, 18:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

valid point of exhaust gas, along with that check if your pipe is exiting close to the petrol tank (just in case). hope the pipe is properly held in place inspite of the break? otherwise it will hit car under body and can fall off also.. happened to me
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:40   #9
BHPian

Hi. i have a similar problem. In my accent, the silencer has a hole in the rectangular box just before the tail exhaust pipe (which is also corroded). i too like the throaty roar now. Would it affect my FE and power/torque? Can i attend to it at leisure?
Thanks!
Old 3rd March 2008, 19:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

It was a problem in most of the santros ,that too within 2yrs of time.First they would repair it and then the second time it happens they replace it.The throaty sound is good to hear though.
ram
Old 3rd March 2008, 22:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Recently baught Matiz has same issue (known bug while buying!), it gives sporty sound and less low end pick up and I guess exaust smells different when car is on I think.

To replace that silencer domb ( not sure exact word) my mechanic told me it would cost around 3000/- he advised me lets wait for a while (its not because parts not available for Matiz lol ) .

Matiz had no emmission certification I have got one immediately after I baught it.

I usually keep emission certificate always for my Petrol Innova too. For my innova always almost 0 reading in emission certificate, while for Matiz its slightly lesser than allowed maximum reading!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
Hi. i have a similar problem. In my accent, the silencer has a hole in the rectangular box just before the tail exhaust pipe (which is also corroded). i too like the throaty roar now. Would it affect my FE and power/torque? Can i attend to it at leisure?
Thanks!
The same thing occurred in my old Accent GLS. The rectangular box was corroded and chipped off. Almost the whole length of the muffler was corroded. Though I loved the deep exaust note, mech's told me it would affect FE, so got the whole thing changed for 7k (corrosion protection coated).

@harsha - get a Free-flowing exaust if you really like the "roar"
Old 7th March 2008, 11:18   #13
BHPian

Thanks guys, i do like the roar but i guess it's not worth compromising on the FE just for that... so i guess i'll get it welded if it's weldable and pass on the major expense for some other day. If not, i'll get it changed. As for the FFE, i have to do my reading on the other threads to see if it would affect the FE and other characteristics of my car. If not, then i may consider it. As of now, I am looking towards get it welded. Cheers!
Old 10th March 2008, 17:37   #14
BHPian

Hey Guys, Update from me. I got the welding done. The lower part of the silencer box was getting rusted, so the tinker placed a sheet of metal and did the welding. He's assured me it'll last me a while. The mech said that since it is the box just before the exhaust pipe where the silencer ends (at the very back under the boot) and has only the glasswool fibres to muffle the sound, the hole would make no difference to the performance and the FE. What is the part in question called - muffler? He said that only a hole in the upper part of asembly (under the front seat) affects FE and performance etc. (What is this part called then?) Is he right? Thanks in anticipation.
Old 14th July 2008, 17:29   #15
BHPian

same here...

I also have the same issue, where the end can has come off...

Siena weekend 1.6 -, Issue is, The end can if has to be replaced for 1.6 is for 10k, If it's the adventure types, besides the stepney .

Palio 1.2 types behind the stepney for 5k.

Well, mileage has been same, infact a bit more.. I might be wrong...

It's silent when driven at constant rpm of 1800 or 2200 rpm.

I'd advice people to keep a regular check on the same.

Repair: can a pipe be welded back to it from within the can?

or would a custom end can do the job? - Psycho are you there...

Samy

Most Viewed