Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2007, 00:57   #1
BHPian

K & N filter shrunk

Hi,

I Had given the car for a full body wash . i have a k & n conical filter with the pipes fitted to my Red swift . i had told them to cover the k & n filter and then wash the engine, but once the wash was done the k & n filter has shrunk in the middle, you can say it been squeezed in the middle . Wanted to know if i have to replace them or is it normal . If it is normal does it harm the performance. i Can feel the sound of the car is reduced before the wash. please advice
Old 12th December 2007, 11:36   #2
BANNED

Hi,

In all probability they started the car with the plastic still covering the filter causing the filter to "shrink". Performance will be negligibly hampered.

Viper
Old 12th December 2007, 11:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

They did the same thing to my Santro which has Universal K&N. They are just used to Universal filters. But I don't notice any performance difference though.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:05   #4
BHPian

Is there a solution for this? I have seen a product called K&N 'Air-Filter Hat' on their website. Has anyone used this?

Experts, please give tips as to how this situation can be avoided during a pressure wash. Step-wise instructions would be great. Thanks
Old 12th December 2007, 12:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happend with my OHC, even i dint find any difference in power..
Old 12th December 2007, 12:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Santosh its simple ensure that the filter is covered before the wash and very impoetant before starting remove the cover
Old 12th December 2007, 12:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

There lies the problem. The mechanics who drive it off the wash ramp, forget your car is different, they won't remove the plastic.
Old 12th December 2007, 13:39   #8
BHPian

Thanks Lohith. I am aware of this approach. However, like Samurai has rightly pointed out, there is very little chance for error.
For Eg: The car is driven onto a ramp(hydraulic) by a service station person. Once the car is on the ramp, you ask him to cover the air-filter. After the car wash, if he starts the car by mistake(inspite of your instructions) without removing the cover, the damage is done. Sometimes, we are not even around when all this is happening(during a service).

I know of one other way which is to replacing with stock air-filter just before the service and changing again after the service. I am after a solution which can protect the air-filter from such mistakes and also during heavy rain when water can splash onto the air-filter.

Most Viewed