Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2004, 20:40   #1
BANNED

Free Flow Dilemna ...

Guys, As I have mentioned earlier I had gotten a free flow ( omplete with headers and all ) done by Automech but installed in delhi by their dealer. Now wat the thread is all about is the experience I had with it ... lol

After getting it installed I drove around town for a couple of days to feel the difference if any ... I noticed that my mid range improved pretty drastically at the expense of top end but that was as per my requirement so no complains !! The second thing that I observed was that my FE dropped drastically down 2 4kmpl . I was taken abak as this was under normal driving conditions ... IT almost had me running back to them for a refund -- lol !! Anyways I promptly called our team-bhp doctor , Dominic . He suggested that I dis connet the battery for 10 mins and then reset it ... so I went and did that and to my surprise the next 300 kms gave me a FE of 10 kmpl with the same mid range . The very next day I headed home to Himahal and that was the beginning of my problems with the free flow ...

Driving the car with the free flow was definitely a pleasure and I wud reomend Automech to all my friends ... went flying thru the hills with a nice sweet subtle sound speially after the 5000 mark. Now the problem that started was that the packing between the pipe from the headers and the straight pipe to the rear kept leaking every time I went to the hills . It happened one and I went bak and they replaced it .. paid 300 Rs !! After replacement it worked fine as long as I was n the ity but as soon as I headed into the hills it leaked again .. this time when i went to them they replaed it saying the joint was uneven so the reason why the leak ... ( shudnt they have noticed it in the first place ) .. Paid nothing !! After that again the same story and its been the same ever since ---- changed the packing from the dealer 3 times . 1 time by a loal mech in himachal as it leaked totally and sound got very ugly ... !!

Yesterday I finally went to another loal mech who is pretty popular with the local rally lads as he prepares most of these guys cars .. and he changed a few things with the free flow ... changed the rear muffler ( better mid range ), also removed the muffler from the centre and trust me guys the car has just transformed into a totally new beast ... she's spinning in 2nd on tarmac plus the sound has gotten so muh better !!!

the point that im trying to make is that if anyone is planning on getting a free flow done I wud recomend that u get it done from a guy who is local as its very tuff for some one from another town to understand wat exatly u want .... And automech needs to build a stronger dealer network else it leaves a bad taste .. !!

Cheers
Old 28th December 2004, 21:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

hey khaddu,
i am sure this is the first case where anyone has been unhappy with Automech.
it is really sad that it had to happen to ur car.
i think the delhi dealer has not fitted ur exhaust system properly.tahts why the leak.
and i dont think he shud be charging u for the replacement packing.

and the center muffler that u have changed is the expansion chamber which helps in the improving the driveability.
lets hope that its a one-off case .or is automech's quality going down.nooooooo that cannot be possible as we all swear by its name.
the other option is to go for free flows designed by Leelakrsihnan or other rally car tuners.but since the top end is really important in a rally car,installing similar ones wud affect the mid range and the lower end pulling capability.and hence the city drivability.
Old 28th December 2004, 22:40   #3
BANNED

hey khadu which car do u own?
Old 28th December 2004, 23:10   #4
BANNED

i own the palio 1.6 ...
Old 28th December 2004, 23:21   #5
BANNED

[quote=speedsatya]hey khaddu,

and the center muffler that u have changed is the expansion chamber which helps in the improving the driveability.
lets hope that its a one-off case .or is automech's quality going down.

hey, I am not complaining but I guess I was the unlucky one . Also the expansion hamber removal has boosted the drive .. it's so much quiker !!
IS there any negative effet of removing the expansion chamber ??

cheers
Old 24th August 2005, 01:32   #6

Free Flow Zen MPFI

I wish to have the free flow done with the help of N1Engineering in Mumbai for my zen which has clocked 20, 000 KMS and is running kool on universal K & N, Iridium NGK Sparks and Wrench Oil Filter with Helix Synthetic oil in it.

I am currently clocking close to 60 kms a day and sucking around 17 for a litre with 50 % ac usage.

I have felt some increase in power and since there is no dyno around I really do not know the quantum of increase. I think it should be up by about 5 %.

I wish to have a free flow done to my car and get the BHP and Torque numbers up. I am interested in getting that pull in all gears.

Have read a lot about dynomax, turbonator and mangaflow.

Any suggestions and techie stuff please. Will be glad.

Cheers !!!
Old 25th August 2005, 14:53   #7
BHPian

where is the automech delhi dealer? i have a similar problem as you. its leaking from the header to the first pipe connection - and i need a new gasket, plus due to its rigidity the exhaust becomes loose due to viberations after 6 months. Is there no fix for this?
Old 25th August 2005, 15:36   #8
BANNED

Hi, The automech dealer when I got mine installed was Mr. Tutu Dhawan and his work shop is at the Ashram Chowk. I dunno know now as I havnt been to him for ages now. I got new packings done from another guy near ashram and it hasnt leaked since then. What car r u driving and where did u get your headers done from ??

cheers
Old 25th August 2005, 17:45   #9
BHPian

Hi,i drive Zen Carbon Mpfi.... got the entire setup from Automech, but had it installed in delhi.

i got it fixed some time back from a guy who does work for Tutu Dhawan. his makeshift place is near LSR. its much better. will get the entire pipe tightened when I service the car. (next week)

Off Topic: Where can i pick up titanium/iridium plugs from and how much?
Old 26th August 2005, 13:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

IRIDIUM PLUGS WILL COST AROUND Rs. 600/- PER PLUG, BUT U NEED TO GET A GOOD PLUG WIRE/LEAD SET TOO OR ITS USELESS. U GET LOADS OF THEM IN BOMBAY.
Ive got my car done at auto mech in bombay and know these guys pretty well. my cars a mazda miata 1.6. i suggest u speak to the guys at automech directly and they'll solve ur problem and also know the plight of their so called dealers in other places. speak to viveck at automech
Old 26th August 2005, 15:59   #11
BANNED

MustangMan, by any chance did u take part in the Autocross held in Noida this year ?? Your car a MP or MH number ??

cheers
Old 26th August 2005, 16:22   #12
BHPian

most palios do have a mid muffler...and they generally retain it when you fix the headers to minimise the sound. my 1.2 palio has only a free flow mid muffler with 4x1 headers.
Old 27th August 2005, 16:15   #13
BHPian

yeah that was me.....managed only 4th.
did u also take part? what car?
MP number.
Old 27th August 2005, 18:28   #14
BANNED

Hi, mine was the famous car no 69 !!! the sound of ur free flow was really amazing ... so wat happened to your rallying plans ??

Cheers
Old 27th August 2005, 20:16   #15
BHPian

you will have to give me some more details. i don't even remember my own number off hand.
rallying on hold due to financial reasons....working on it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks