Team-BHP - Mounting speakers on Boot tray.. good or bad for tray??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Mounting speakers on Boot tray.. good or bad for tray?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/32767-mounting-speakers-boot-tray-good-bad-tray.html)

Hi Guys,
In the last week i decided to ICE up my new Getz.
And one of my friend(who works with maruti) told me that Oval shape seakers give better output than round speakers .And after listening to both I definetly liked out put of oval speakers.
Now problem is if I have to fit Oval shaped speakers i have to fit them on my boot tary.One of my other friend told me that fitting it on boot ttray damages the tray. IS that true?if anyone who has mounted oval shaped speakers on boot tray can help me.
Thanks in advance..

As long as the parcel shelf is of quality good enough to hold the weight of the speakers and as long as it fits tight to ensure there is no ratttling, I don't see why it would be a problem.

@varun, fitting them on the OE tray would not be a good idea. It will not be stiff and strong enough to hold the 6x9s. And it will rattle like mad when you go over pot-holes.

You'll need to get an MDF tray (will be available with your installer) and mount them on the MDF tray. If the MDF tray is fitted properly, it will not rattle. If at all it rattles, just buy a bit of A/C insulation foam (available at all upholstery shops), and paste strips/pieces under the tray where it touches the body. That will take care of rattles.

You can keep your OE parcel tray safely without cutting holes in it.

EDIT: This being the ICE section, I can't let you go without pointing out that you should buy front speakers first, and not rear speakers :D Ideally, you should get components in front. They will cost only 4.5K for the 5.25" comps and 5K for the 6.5" comps (JBL GT5 series). You will be able to fit 6.5" comps in front, with a spacer (not visible from outside). Comps will sound better than a 6x9, and you will get the sound up-front, where it belongs. I'm guessing you don't have front speakers now, and that you drive the car, BTW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrashok (Post 661178)

You'll need to get an MDF tray (will be available with your installer) and mount them on the MDF tray. If the MDF tray is fitted properly, it will not rattle. If at all it rattles, just buy a bit of A/C insulation foam (available at all upholstery shops), and paste strips/pieces under the tray where it touches the body. That will take care of rattles.

I am using MDF tray on my getz and the rattling noise is coming from the side as the plastic clip has become loose with the weight of the MDF tray. Took it to Hyundai and the only resolution is to remove the MDF tray. Hyundai says it is not possible to replace the plastic clip inside the plastic panel on the side.

I am living with the rattling as I love my Alpine SPS 6*9 inch speakers. I will never use MDF tray again. I would recommend getting quality speakers on speaker provisions on the rear door.

I believe the plastic clips became loose with the wire being pulled from inside the plastic panel on the side of the boot. I changed it later by pulling wire through the provision given on the side.
The MDF trays are making the loose plastic clips rattle. If at all you decide to go for MDF tray make sure the wires to the boot are pulled through the provisions given on the side, inside the side compartment (difficult to notice).

I am relctunt to install MDF tray..
basically i just wanted to know ,in the long run, will installation on boot tray make a rattling noise?? if it does, is it possible to install new boot tray in Getz??Can any one throw light on this??Please...

Does your Getz Has Rear Viper? If not then you can install on the Boot Door as well (Provided Getz has such option unlike Swift). If it allows then put MDF plank on boot door & place your 6X9s there else

Btw if you dont listen to louder levels then first get front comps as this has worked for most of my friends & they dont miss rear speakers at all

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 661302)
... first get front comps as this has worked for most of my friends & they dont miss rear speakers at all

Righto! If you get comps in front first, you'll get decent bass in front, and you can avoid the whole parcel-tray-thing altogether.

And I'd also vote for installing the rear speakers in the rear doors (in the stock provision) when/if you get them. You'll need only 5.25" coaxials in the back, if you get 6.5" components in front.

@PatienceWins, I did see your experience in the other thread. Bad installers and bad post-purchase attitude from the installer will make the experience quite irritating. A good installer can setup a parcel-tray install without issues. Some functionality may be compromised, depending on the car (and the owner will have to take a call on that), but it can be done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 661302)
Btw if you dont listen to louder levels then first get front comps as this has worked for most of my friends & they dont miss rear speakers at all

agree: If you drive alone most of the time, get good quality components and that will do the job. I prefer the sound to be more in the front.

@hydrashok: Yes yaar. The installation guys should be blamed for pulling the wire in the wrong way. If not for the build quality of Getz, the entire thing would have come off.I hate rattling and the only solution now is to remove the MDF tray.:Frustrati If the installation was proper, this issue would not have occured.

Stock parcel shelfs of most cars are not that great. It is susceptible to rattle easily. Best is to have the mdf tray installed or better as already suggested get a good pair of comps in the front

I have my oval 3 way Blaupunkt GT 693 installed in my Palio Stile 1.6 on a MDF plank. However i have noticed that in motion the plank vibrates a lot, even when the ICE is switched off. This generates a low rattling noise which can get annoying. I hope there is no danger to my speakers due to these vibrations.

I don't know if this is a good idea but if you can remove the parcel tray and can compromise on boot space then get those wooden box made where you can install your speakers.

Something like these:
Mounting speakers on Boot tray.. good or bad for tray??-e720_1.jpg