Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:01   #1
BHPian

FFE in cabin noise help!!

I got a Automech FFE installed on my Swift VXI and I am quiet happy with the preformance, however the in cabin noise is quiet high even when the windows are rolled up! Quiet honestly it is disturbing
Just wanted to ask you knowledge rich guys if thats normal or if anything can be done to reduce the incabin noise.

Note: So far I have had people say, the car sounds like premier padmani, Truck etc
Old 2nd January 2008, 17:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

interesting!

1. this is normal IMO
2. get a silent end can / ask automech/dealer/mech to open up the endcan and fill it up with more glass wool.
3. try and get some damping work done in the cabin (lets hope it'l work)
4. get a decent ICE and you will never face the problem (well you will have to play some muzik.)
5. if the car sounds like a Premier Padmini - please lemme have your car. (not because i own one)
6. if the car sounds like a truck - you can keep it with you.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 2nd January 2008 at 17:25.
Old 2nd January 2008, 17:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

swift right? Its made so by default!

and you ordered the can for loudness or for stealth?
Old 2nd January 2008, 17:38   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I guess you dont like the exhaust drone? Or is the overall sound too loud? Best would be to change the end can. If you just got it installed, they would probably do it for free.

P.S. : My Vtec is LOUD and I love it!
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its Strange but i dont have this problem.Go for planet_rockers advice.Get a Hertz ICE setup with Damping,You enjoy the Music let the outside world enjoy the Exaust Note.

I have a very loud Exasut note and i simply love it,If you didnt like the sound you should have not gone for the FFE at the first place or should have got a silent FFE.

If you like to dim the noise a bit contact me,I got my friends Swift Exasut note dimmed by changing the expansion chamber.

Last edited by m4ugr8 : 2nd January 2008 at 19:36.
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:58   #6
BHPian

See the deal is I like the sound, but somehow the way people reacted to my new found roar killed my enthusiasm.
Just wanted to check with the gentlemen who enjoy their FFE loud, I understand the exhilaration when the car is driven for short distances how about times when the driving is for a distance spread over couple of hours. I recon that wont be quiet that nice.
I am intrigued with the idea of getting some damping work done, not quiet sure about getting a silent end can.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2008 at 10:01. Reason: Removing font tags
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

if u like your sound then forget what people say.even when i got my FFE people say its sounding like a generator,but when people who actually have ffe said its nice i was satisfied.

Get the damping it will definately reduce d in cabin noise.
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

yup - i would agree.. its your car, you can do it the way you want to. incase people complain - give them an ipod and ask them to plug their ears. if you dont like them - just give them cotton!
jokes apart - if you want to balance out the sound, put some dampening stuff in the doors. Also, change the rubber mats to carpets ( it will help absorb the noise, hence reduce resonance).
most importantly - enjoy the music.
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

eat one's cake and have it too :)

Whole point of the sound is to make the exp more rich, some purist might even say the sound gives a feeling of more power.. lol

a) do a complete dampening job to cut the outside noise
b) get a moderate end can

And hopefully you have a complete FFE with headers et all and not the end can bit alone?
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:22   #10
BHPian

Well the same thing happened to me, The glass-wool will get burned after a while and the car sounds like (as you rightly said) a truck,

So I have two end cans now, If i need sound I put the old one with the resonator tip and if I need the car to be quiet in low revs, then I go for the new one and lose the resonator tip, So as fellow bhpians rightly mentioned, Change your end can, and that will solve your issue.
Old 4th January 2008, 10:48   #11
BHPian

Got it! Dampins one...I like the idea of changing the mats to carpers as suggested by madan80.
See trouble is when i got the FFE done I didnt realise I had a choice in end cans, the one I had looked pretty cool with a nice rectangular shape!

Any specific end can that shuts up during low reving and goes all wild when revved hard!
Old 4th January 2008, 11:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Is there some problem with all automech end cans?My friends baleno initially sounded awesome but after sometime it sounds like a truck.He went to automech who replaced the end can for free.Now after some months it again sounds like a truck.
Any solution to this problem or buying endcans like mugen bla bla will be a permanent solution?
Old 4th January 2008, 11:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post

Note: So far I have had people say, the car sounds like premier padmani, Truck etc
Are those people the non-automotively inclined populace? When I got my FFE, my mom first said that it sounds like a truck and a few days later a Premier Padmini. Btw, I dont have any issues of in-cabin FFE sound intrusion since its not loud enough to get on my nerves.
Old 4th January 2008, 11:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

you can go for some branded end cans or, ask for a SS end can (well not sure about the later).

@dionysus - will you be able to upload a video/audio clip of the exhaust note?
Old 4th January 2008, 11:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
Got it! Dampins one...I like the idea of changing the mats to carpers as suggested by madan80.
See trouble is when i got the FFE done I didnt realise I had a choice in end cans, the one I had looked pretty cool with a nice rectangular shape!

Any specific end can that shuts up during low reving and goes all wild when revved hard!
i had gone for automech units in my city. i told them for a softer sound option - and u dont feel much of the noise till about 3000rpm and after that it kicks in...

boy ! im having a problem in this cold weather driving with the windows down to hear the noise and ur complaining of noise with windows up!!!

btw do u have a typhoon intake kit also ? that also makes a lot of noise/music

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks