Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 12:35   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Buddy,

You need to get real in life which constable even knows the actual rules leave asides the MV Act. They recently announced that they will catch all cars retrofitted with horns and those that are not factory fitted horns. Do you really think they can distinguish between OE and aftermarket.

Once they stop you you only have 2 options argue with them and either win or go to court or either bribe them/pay the fine they ask. Am not getting into the nitty gritty but talking about real life scenarios. If you try talking rules all that they will do i get angry and tell you argue in court. Do you really have the time to do that. You may be right but the fact is its your word against theirs at that moment.

Viper
The question was about the law. Recently Delhi police challaned everybody with any sunfilm on because of a special order.
My reply was about what the motor Vehicle act says.
Its available for download, and most law book stores carry an abridged version for all to read and use
Old 4th January 2008, 12:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
It is like saying pot is illegal however, they sell pot at .. lets say, "reliance POTworld"... but you cant buy it and if you do, you will be arrested.

I am waiting for that time.

Quote:
Why are they letting XYZ company sell something that is clearly going to be used illegally..

Most of these xyz companies register themselves as selling automotive parts, they do not specify exactly what. For instance they would like to call the FFE as replacement exhausts. Have you seen a FFE (Be that any company) invoice made out with pre-change pollution levels & post-change pollution levels ? If it is a genuinely legal business, this would be done just to re-assure the customer.

Going by the letter of the law, any mods internal or external should be authorised by the local RTO with an endorsement in your RC, if this is not done, even a spoiler is illegal.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:47   #18
rks
BANNED

Apart from the legal aspect, the main concern I have about FFE is that the catalytic converter needs to be removed to get any worthwhile increase in performance. This is undesirable in my view because not only does atmospheric pollution increase, but also toxic emissions could endanger somebody if the car is in a closed space. And if the exhaust system develops leaks, the toxic emissions could possibly get into the car when the blower/AC is on and endanger the occupants.

Last edited by rks : 4th January 2008 at 13:49.
Old 4th January 2008, 14:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

There are street legal exhaust systems available abroad.
They have a proper db rating for the noise and pollution too.
Old 4th January 2008, 14:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingping View Post
BMW, Volswagen Passat how come they are sold then ????
They have projectors and HID's factory fitted. those are legal. we are talking of aftermarket fitments.
Old 4th January 2008, 14:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think the answer has been given for FFEs so I will concentrate on Xenons, Firstly From what I know not all Projectors setups(like Skods vRS, Passat etc) come with HIDs what they have is H7 or xyz specification type of bulb as defailt & projector setup gives it a better spread. Now replacing the stock bulb with a HID bulb of similar spec(you get HIDs for H4, H7 etc) is illegal. So its HIDs which are illegal & not projectors.
Old 4th January 2008, 15:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am confused after going through this thread.
Can someone please confirm whether after market HID is legal or illegal?
Old 4th January 2008, 15:30   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Can someone please confirm whether after market HID is legal or illegal?

Its as legal or illegal as overtaking from the left-side.
Old 4th January 2008, 15:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Also as legal or illegal as putting those 90\100w Rally rated bulbs
Old 4th January 2008, 16:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Also as legal or illegal as putting those 90\100w Rally rated bulbs
90/100 w bulbs are definitely illegal... the only permissible limit is 55/60 w... as well as anything else which could blind oncoming traffic are simply defined as illegal....; but they are very much prevelent on the road......
Old 4th January 2008, 21:32   #26
BHPian

so, FFEs are definitely illegal unless you keep the cat con (then it wont be a "free" flow anymore) so that the pollution levels of the car is under control, and make sure the sound from the exhausts are within the permissible db levels.. but then the purpose of having a free flow will more or less be defeated..

Xenons are legal? hmm i am still confused.. projector setup is ok?? BTW i dont know what a projector setup is, but i am sure the answer is somewhere else on this forum and i will look around...

Thanks everyone but... i am not a 100% sure about the xenons since opinion is divided... any final advice on installing these on my car.. I really dont want to be driving on fog lamps and use xenon headlights only on the highway, as was suggested... cos the city i live in doesnt have many street lights in working condition :-( and the fog lamps wont really illuminate the road as much as i would like it
Old 5th January 2008, 00:05   #27
BHPian

I have an Automech FFE on my Swift, question would it fail a pollution check! I mean I have always had a pollution certificate for my car but now that FFE is installed does that mean I have to live without a pollution certificate in Delhi!
Old 5th January 2008, 02:25   #28
BHPian

i've become smarter after joining this forum.. lol

Quote:
Xenons are legal? hmm i am still confused.. projector setup is ok?? BTW i dont know what a projector setup is, but i am sure the answer is somewhere else on this forum and i will look around...
hey guys.. i searched the forums and googled around about projector setup.. now i know the difference.. .projector setup and the regular reflector ones... cheers:

So based on all what i read i came to a conclusion. Experts, Plz correct me... xenons/HID's are legal if it is OE in a projector setup partly because you need to also have a headlamp leveler so if you changing from reflector ones to projector, IMHO, your headlamp leveler might not actually work with the new HID's, hence making them illegal.

to quote Javed Jaffery "Mamma will be so proud of me"
Old 5th January 2008, 10:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

pollution check does not fail with FFE. the permisible limits are very high while our euro 2 and euro 3 cars dont ever pollute to that level, with or without cat-con. and anyways in my city u get a pollution certi without inspection. u pay them 50 bucks and get whatever u want written on it.
Old 5th January 2008, 11:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingping View Post
90/100 w bulbs are definitely illegal... the only permissible limit is 55/60 w... as well as anything else which could blind oncoming traffic are simply defined as illegal....; but they are very much prevelent on the road......
Then why are the available for sale? Is this the "POTworld" scenario we are talking about???

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
pollution check does not fail with FFE. the permisible limits are very high while our euro 2 and euro 3 cars dont ever pollute to that level, with or without cat-con. and anyways in my city u get a pollution certi without inspection. u pay them 50 bucks and get whatever u want written on it.
What a shame. I hope you do not use that facility.

Rajan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks