Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2008, 12:51   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Then why are the available for sale? Is this the "POTworld" scenario we are talking about???
Smoking is not illegal but smoking in train or bus is illegal, drinking is not illegal but drinking and driving is illegal, black and dark sun films are not illegal but sticking them in ur car glass is illegal, all 90/100 w bulbs as such are not illegal, infact using them in ur car itself is not illegal but driving with that lights on is illegal......... INDIAN LEGAL SYSTEM
Old 5th January 2008, 21:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingping View Post
Smoking is not illegal but smoking in train or bus is illegal, drinking is not illegal but drinking and driving is illegal, black and dark sun films are not illegal but sticking them in ur car glass is illegal, all 90/100 w bulbs as such are not illegal, infact using them in ur car itself is not illegal but driving with that lights on is illegal......... INDIAN LEGAL SYSTEM
You MUST be a lawyer pingpong, right ?
Old 5th January 2008, 21:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingping View Post

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 5th January 2008, 22:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

I checked up with the Automotive lamps division of a large Lamp manufacturer. Any bulb which has wattage above 60/55 is definitely not street legal.
The Diamond vision, crystal vision etc are legal only if they are at the 60/55 wattage. So the xtreme power and the vision plus, night-breakers etc, are permissible, since although they emit more light, they are within the specified wattage.
And oh yes, more light comes at the price of the life of the bulb. While the OEM are supposed to have a life of say 800 hours, the power plus', night breakers etc have a life of about 400 hrs.
Rally eye - 100/90 and above is not legal. Hence sold as after market fitments.
My question is, will the cops stop the car if it is emitting more light and check by peeking into the headlight where the wattage is mentioned on the bulb? What if you mask/ remove the painted wattage on the bulbs and then install them, what happens?
Old 6th January 2008, 00:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You MUST be a lawyer pingpong, right ?
Nupe i just joined as management trainee and getting groomed to be a manager soon in a reputed firm... I have passed out of a flagship business school in the country and there we have Legal Environment as an important subject ... im just a small guy...
Old 11th March 2008, 19:16   #36
BANNED

custom exhaust

hi friends ,
i have a question that are those custom made exhausts legal .i had put a custom made exhaust in my car to make it louder . one of the catalytic convertor is there while the another is removed . is it legal????? plz friends......reply
Old 11th March 2008, 21:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Not sure what you mean by one of the cat cons. Which car do you drive? I haven't heard of a car with 2 cat cons!
By "exhaust" are you referring to the muffler/ end can? This is the portion of the exhaust system which controls the sounds levels.
Strictly speaking, removing the cat con could be considered illegal (others pls correct me if I'm wrong). However, as long as your car passes the emission tests, nobody will complain.
Old 11th March 2008, 21:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Removal of the catcon is illegal, strictly speaking. Also, your M800 doesn't have 2 catcons. Only if you have 2 separate exhaust tracts will you need 2 catcons, like the Accord V6.
Old 12th March 2008, 07:28   #39
BANNED

i mean those cans that are present to control sound level . if i take out all the filters present in the can instead of removing it . will it also be illegal . can some one please give detailed information about an exhaust and laws about it
Old 12th March 2008, 11:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Do the Patiala police regulary check for the pollution certificate? If yes, then you'll be in trouble, because your car without the can is emitting more pollution than the permitted levels.

If no, then I don't think there should be any problem.

Surprisingly, after I'd put automech FFE in my Alto, it still passed the pollution test!
Old 12th March 2008, 11:23   #41

Yes. A loud exhaust is illegal. I have been caught several times in my car for having a Freeflow in mumbai. But a trick you can use is as follows.
1)Dont change the end tip. If the cops see a Big exhaust sticking out of the back of your car, they will catch you.
2)Another thing that you can do is put a half exhaust, i.e. NO ENDPIPE. this sound MAGNIFICENT and when the cops do natak you can always say that the rear pipe has fallen off.
Old 12th March 2008, 12:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
i mean those cans that are present to control sound level . if i take out all the filters present in the can instead of removing it . will it also be illegal . can some one please give detailed information about an exhaust and laws about it
There is one "can" that is present to control the sound level, and this is the muffler/silencer/end-can. Modifying the stock muffler isn't something I would try. If you want to get a sporty sound, then get a sports muffler, which will look good and sound good (sound levels vary by model). A loud exhaust may attract cops - this is something you have to be prepared for. If you are not removing the cat con, then there will be no increase in pollution levels.

You can learn more about car exhausts here:
Howstuffworks "Car Exhaust and Emissions Channel"
Old 12th March 2008, 15:27   #43

As far as i know. I haven't been stopped for an FFE installed on my baleno. Maybe its due to the lack of awareness amongst the cops as they mostly tend to think its a faulty silencer. Funny huh. Punjab it is. Anyways, xenons are not illegal as long as you don't get those non -genuine blue beems which bother the eyes. I suggest go for it. Don't bother much bout the cops.
Old 12th March 2008, 17:16   #44
BANNED

cops in punjab are not much aware about these modified exhausts as they think its a silencer problem or holes in silencer due to rust. but what about other cities like delhi etc. i havent seen any car in my city with modded exhausts.
Old 12th March 2008, 19:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

What if a Porsche Boxter with twin roaring exhausts or a Lambo Murciliago zooms past with that roar to die for, come within the ambit of legality?

Secondly, HIDs or Xenons emit bright light while the wattage of the bulb remains at 35W. What about them?

Last edited by gd1418 : 12th March 2008 at 19:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks