Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2008, 20:53   #46
BHPian

Smoking is not illegal but smoking in train or bus is illegal, drinking is not illegal but drinking and driving is illegal, black and dark sun films are not illegal but sticking them in ur car glass is illegal, all 90/100 w bulbs as such are not illegal, infact using them in ur car itself is not illegal but driving with that lights on is illegal......... INDIAN LEGAL SYSTEM

Good one! I totally second that!
Old 13th March 2008, 17:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

can some experts comment on legality of these lamps? Are they street legal here in India?

Moderator's note: Post moved to appropriate thread

Last edited by theMAG : 13th March 2008 at 23:43.
Old 14th March 2008, 23:08   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
cops in punjab are not much aware about these modified exhausts as they think its a silencer problem or holes in silencer due to rust. but what about other cities like delhi etc. i havent seen any car in my city with modded exhausts.
Buddy in patiala to be honest people reallu don't feel the need for such stuff. But yes in chandigarh. Now you do see alot of cars with roaring mufflers. Though they are just mufflers. Nothing else. Me and another guy who owns a baleno are the only ones(i think) in chandigarh with FFEs and other stuff.
Old 14th March 2008, 23:12   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
cops in punjab are not much aware about these modified exhausts as they think its a silencer problem or holes in silencer due to rust. but what about other cities like delhi etc. i havent seen any car in my city with modded exhausts.
Buddy i doubt that anyone in patiala would like to get an FFE installed or something. But this trend is fast picking up in chandigarh. I see alot of cars with mufflers nowadays. But FFEs aren't popular yet. I think me and another guy who owns a baleno are the only ones running on FFEs and other stuff in chandigarh at the moment.
Old 14th March 2008, 23:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

If FFe's are considered to be illegal due to sound pollution, what about these friggin APE autos? They are so damn loud, that your head starts to ache after hearing them for a few secs!
Old 11th May 2008, 10:55   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
pollution check does not fail with FFE. the permisible limits are very high while our euro 2 and euro 3 cars dont ever pollute to that level, with or without cat-con. and anyways in my city u get a pollution certi without inspection. u pay them 50 bucks and get whatever u want written on it.
1) Is it true that pollution check does not fail with FFE(after removal of cat-con) ??

2) Should mods like FFE, strut braces, wider tyres, etc be authorised by the local RTO with an endorsement in my RC ?? Any idea on how to go about it ?? After mods, through driving school agents contact RTO?? Has anybody got such endorsement in ur RC after mods please explain??

3) Does my insurance stands void because of the mods like FFE, struts, wider tyres or of any kind ??

Please shed some light on the above queries.

Thanks in advance.

Livealike.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:26   #52
Senior - BHPian

Referring back to a post someone made in this thread about the inventor of the two-stroke engine, I am wondering if, apart from maybe one or two deviations from standard practice, should we encourage modding of vehicles.

1. Synthetic Engine Oil: The properties of this oil may bring about some engine efficiency by reducing wear and tear.

2. K & N Stock Air Filters: You may be paying a high price for a better quality product which does not need frequent replacements, as against the traditional paper air filters which need to be replaced at intervals.

Both of the above, I believe, do not warrant any mods to any other parts of the vehicle's system.

Also a major and very important point being overlooked in all the modding discussions is how many of these mods are approved by the RTO and the insurance companies? To the best of my belief, any changes to the vehicle going beyond the manufacturer's specification warrant a re-certification from RTO. So if my car comes with stock oil filled suspension and I want to fit gas filled suspension to it, that would have to be ratified / approved by the RTO. I remember when I had mentioned that I was using premium (91 octane) petrol in my M800 mpfi 5-speed car, the MASS person simply told me the warranty on my fuel system parts would be voided if anything went wrong and a 91-octane petrol was found in the fuel system. The company does NOT recommend using 91 octane petrol. Period.

When modding any parts of the vehicle, if you are going against the manufacturer specifications, you are running the risk of voiding your insurance policy as well. I don't believe in India today the vehicle insurance companies are very strict about this, but it's still illegal. Even changing the headlight bulbs to a higher power set and adding a cut-out or relay circuit is in my opinion an illegal fitment. An ordinary motor insurance policy only applies to the stock vehicle running under conditions and in a manner recommended by the manufacturer. Even for electrical accessories fitted aftermarket to the vehicle, you need to declare and insure them separately. The ordinary policy does not cover sporting or racing events. If any of you members have participated in rallies and/or races, you may know you have to buy a separate insurance cover. One of the reasons for the same is the vehicle is modded to perform better in the rally/race, and also is driven under conditions and in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer.

While all discussions on drinking and driving has been banned on Team BHP (which is a splendid move, btw), will someone look into these so-called mods and discourage them for general discussions?

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th December 2009 at 17:12. Reason: Moved to a more appropriate thread + linked back to original thread in the first line of your post.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

I even went through some posts where some users from South India narrated their first-hand/second-hand experiences of putting bigger engines in smaller vehicles. A popular trend seemed to be to put an Esteem engine into a Zen (classic), and someone was trying to put the zen's engine into a M 800. Are all these mods road-safe? Are they approved by the RTO or the vehicle insurance companies?

To the best of my knowledge, use of synthetic engine oil or the K&N filters is also not recommended by any manufacturers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks