Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2008, 02:37   #1

Performance of 2001 Accent Glx

I own an Accent Glx 2001, and proposing to buy one New Lancer Lx ( which is the only veriant that is offered ).

2001 Accent Glx was bought in 2004 with odo reading 67K. The vehicle gave good performance for initial days. It ran upto 170 kmph. It drank only 12-13 kmpl on outside city limits with ac on and 7-8 kmpl with ac on in the city conditions.

At about 80K odo, I installed one LPG kit on the vehilce. Since then, the trouble bigun. With tankful of LPG, approx 50 L, the car went upto 400 Kms. Whereas, on Petrol, it returned 6 kmpl in city, and 9 kmpl out of the city limits. For about a year and more, numerouse experiments were undertaken by 03 technitians. Despite tuning, re tuning, pleacing plugs, and and what not ..., the vehicle did not consistantly give me good pic up, good power, top speed, and better F E. I mean to say, yes sometimes it gave me 525 kms with a tankful of LPG. But that FE did not last long. Now a days, the car runs only 350 kms on one tank ful of LPG. Nowadays, on petrol, it returns 12-13 kmpl out of the city limits and within city the figures go dow to 7-8 kmpl. I am now happly with these figures of petrol. But, deadly unhappy with those of LPG. Worst, on LPG she is reporting substantial powerloss, and reduced top speed only of 90-100 kmph.

I do not intent to sale the vehicle off, particulalry because, it has a VIP No licence plate.

How can I overcome the following problems faced by me -

On LPG

1 Pic Up
2 Performance, top speed,
3 mileage
4 low / nil maintenance - I learnt that the LPG conversion kits once installed and set in order, they need no maintenance, even they do not need servicing. this is layman's knoledge, subject to correction.

On Petrol -

1 Consistancy in mileage - I expect 7-8 kmpl in city and 12-13 kmpl on highway or out of the city limits

As I do not want to sale the car off, and am going to retain it, please suggest suitable modifications. I am seriousely thinking of -

1 converting the can into two seater coupe
2 other phoney concepts like this
3 my car already has a set of 05 alloys

Now, a little about my proposed new car -

I am seriousely considering to buy a Mitsubishi Lancer Lx, the only veriant avaibale in showrooms with a petrol engine.

Is it a good descision, or does it require reconsideration? Why ?
I will be changing the tyre rims from the standard to the alloys with tubeless tyres. The standard fitment would be 175/80 R 13. Upto what extent of bigger size of the rim and tyre size would add dimentions to the car? How those will affect the performance and ride quality?

I am also proposing to install an LPG convertion kit on the proposed buy. What are the suggesstions?
Old 6th January 2008, 19:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

LPG installation is not the easiest thing to do, if not done by a professional it can lead to lots of problems, like it did in your case.

I seriously suggest you look at a diesel vehicle rather then buying a Lancer LX and converting it on LPG, you will loose your warranty. HM does offer the Lancer with CNG option though, and if your so inclined on getting LPG only then get the Cedia LPG.
Old 6th January 2008, 19:22   #3
Team-BHP Support

since your so worried about mileage why dont you buy a diesel car. since you like performance etc you can get either a swift d or a getz d in the price of a lancer. then just add a petes box and theyre are a few of the quickest cars less than 10 lacs.
Old 7th January 2008, 02:06   #4

@ Busa,

Thanks for suggestions. Warranty is always on the engine and gearbox, and nothing goes wrong with them for about 3 - 4 lakhs Km, so why bother for loosing of warranty ? CNG is not likely to be available even in near future in and around Aurangabad. And, also power loss is great. At the moment, but for budget, I have removed Cedia from my shortlist. Maybe, I will go for that in a year or two. I was seriousely considering for diesels. Did even test drove Verna Crdi, Fiesta, Logan, Lancer Lxd, Swift D. Performance of Verna and Swift is ok .. even good. But rest on the count of performance only, I don't know why, but I did not like at all. Perhaps the pick up, particularly in 3rd and 4th, is quite unpleasing. I did not like the looks of Verna, and I don't want to go for a hatch, so Swift is out. Hatch is my father's choice, who in the age of 64 loves to drive Alto.

@akshay1234

Thanks. in fact, mileage and cost of running is not the great concern. But I should get on par with at least those who are rough in driving seat. Drop of mileage below a certian level causes me to worry about the health of my car. I am going for Lpg even because it is greener to petrol, and not for cost of running. In fact, on Lpg, you get mileage 10 to 15 % minus of petrol. In Aurangabad, the Lpg station of Vanaz sells that for Rs 29=00 a liter. So the effective cost benefit is too meagre. Then, my running is not beyond 2 K per month. As responded to Busa, Swift and Gets ( I test drove Verna Crdi ) both are quite good on performance. But, they are hatches. I even chosen not to go for Chevy Srv beacuse it is not a sedan, though that is a realy good vehicle for driving. I even did not like the shape of Honda City for that matter. I would have certainly gone for an Accent Crdi if they had not stopped production.
Old 7th January 2008, 11:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

how about an sx4?

also whatever car you buy make sure you get the lpg done from a poper place because on the car you have now its gettin messed because of the bad lpg fitment.
Old 7th January 2008, 18:59   #6

@ akshay1234

Sx4 is great on drive, and offers the best for the price.
Old 10th January 2008, 12:45   #7

Friends and Gurus,

No sollution ???????????
Old 11th January 2008, 12:06   #8
BHPian

Fiesta is a good car if you are considering a diesel notch back. There will always be a loss power when you run on LPG, be it any car. Best thing to do is to buy a diesel car, they are getting better day by day in terms of performance, reliability, etc.

Is there a pete's box for the Fiesta 1.4 diesel?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks