Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2008, 10:24   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcoder View Post
Hmmmm.. That is strange. I have taken my Stock VDI till 180KMPH. It reaches 160 easily..
A stock VDi reaches 140 and easily then crawls to 160kmph....But 180 can only be done if there's a slope or if u are running smaller wheels.
Old 6th July 2008, 12:28   #182
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Stock VDis takes a lot to reach 130-140kmph? My friend's VDi was almost like I am done at 120kmph!
Apart from air filter, I would put down adulterated diesel as the most likely suspect. Nature of road also plays a role. Should be level and smooth. One more possibility: if car has been driven slowly for some time then it may take a while for ECU to adjust to a more aggressive driving style.
Old 26th December 2008, 19:01   #183
rippergeo

Tarox Rocks!

Sorry for the corny title, but it conveys my feelings very well.

I had been to Pete's place last week, my heart all set on getting myself a set of Tarox rotors for my little Pete'd pocket rocket. Them being the nice guys that they were, told me outright that there is a pair on sale 2nd hand that has been used for only 2000kms(Poor guy got sent abroad by his company I think)

The Discs had been doing duty in a Dzire-which was sold.
Picked them up from Kolenchery after our mini D R I V E on Christmas morning for 12 grand!
What a Merry Christmas!!!!!(where's that smiley for doing cartwheels?)

They are SweeeeeeeT!
Bolt on replacement for the stock discs(Tarox G88s). The brake pads and calipers remain stock. I was very skeptical at first, and had the following doubts
1. How can just changing the rotors only, make such a difference?
2. what if the improved brakes overwhelm my undertired Swift(185/70/R14)

I was being paranoid!

The car now reaaally, stops..on a dime!
There is a lovely humming sound when braking from 120kmph. Like the sound the transmission makes when you're in reverse gear and going too fast. Is that to be expected with these brakes? I dont know, but I just love that sound, it makes me want to slam the brakes repeatedly just so that I can hear it.
Plenty of feedback through the brake pedal too.

It performs like a normal brake at regular speeds, but when emergency braking is required, its just something else.

About my 2nd doubt-
I was blown away! The tyres, Bridgestone Potenza G3s have so much potential left in them. While applying force on the brake pedal that would have led the stock car to lock its wheels and go searching for the nearest ditch, The Tarox extracts so much more from the tyres.

No wheel lock, no tyre squeal, no pulling to the side.
Mash the brake pedal and come to a very very quick stop. With the bonus of the sensory overload- the humming brakes, the tightening of the seatbealt against my chest, the car squatting down on its suspension, it's is a delight to be braking in this car now.

I never, ever, thought braking could be so much fun!

Side effects- Lesser life for the brakepads- I was told to expect only a 20k life from the pads. Who cares!!!!!? I just love these brakes!

Last edited by rippergeo : 26th December 2008 at 19:04.

Old 26th December 2008, 22:28   #184
Senior - BHPian

congrats Ripper - why didnt you upgrade the brake pads as well.

drive safe man!
Old 27th December 2008, 07:19   #185
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, ripper! Santa got you just what you've always wanted, huh?

How much are these, bought from Petes?
Old 27th December 2008, 07:19   #186
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
congrats Ripper - why didnt you upgrade the brake pads as well.

drive safe man!
Thanks! Well, I wanted to upgrade the pads too, but Tarox do not make stock replacement pads for the Swift :-(
Anyways- the braking is now very adequate, until I start bumping up the power, I dont think I'll need any braking upgrades.

Have started hunting around for suspension upgrades. The current tyres seem to be good enough for another 20k kilometers, so tyre and alloys will probably be only next year

@Hydra- 2nd hand, run 2k kms, purchased for 12 grand,New ones cost 22k or so. Santa's been very good to me. The money I have left over will go into my alloys and tyres fund(Its difficult being a family man and car fanatic at the same time)

Last edited by rippergeo : 27th December 2008 at 07:23.

Old 27th December 2008, 08:32   #187
Senior - BHPian

Congrats ripper. Get better rubber, though - we all know what happened to that Swift that braked at 180 kmph...the brakes worked, but the car wasnt on the road anymore.
Old 27th December 2008, 09:13   #188
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Congrats ripper. Get better rubber, though - we all know what happened to that Swift that braked at 180 kmph...the brakes worked, but the car wasnt on the road anymore.
I know, just waiting for these tyres to wear out.
I've almost decided on alloys seen on tbhp classified.waiting for the Tyre God to say yes.
I dont drive above 120-140 anyway.
The mods on this car have to be stealth through and through. No one on the street or at home should find out. So its a slow and steady process. Have to start laying the groundwork for the tyre and alloy upgrade. Wont be able to hide something that obvious from my wife!
Not everyone gets off the hook as easily as you after splurging on cars.

Old 27th December 2008, 18:48   #189
BHPian

Wow...! That is the cherry on the already sweet 'christmas cake'.

The drive to naadukani to fetch the brakes was awesome too. Great road. Burnt as much Good year GT3 and brakes as would last my dad three years. But it was fun going flat out like that.

Down hill was even more fun. We were a bit sideways through the hairpins. On one occasion, we wandered on to path of a fore regn. VW Passat that was coming the other way.

Never had a christmas been this enjoyable.
Old 27th December 2008, 19:32   #190
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
Wow...! That is the cherry on the already sweet 'christmas cake'.

The drive to naadukani to fetch the brakes was awesome too. Great road. Burnt as much Good year GT3 and brakes as would last my dad three years. But it was fun going flat out like that.

Down hill was even more fun. We were a bit sideways through the hairpins. On one occasion, we wandered on to path of a fore regn. VW Passat that was coming the other way.

Never had a christmas been this enjoyable.
Actually the D R I V E to naadukaani would have happened anyway. whether the brakes were there or not. Remember, I've been SMSing you guys every weekend trying to get company for it?

Now, I have to try this route with the new brakes

I did meet the Passat shortly after you did. Those guys must hate Suzis now
Flat out!!???? You should join us when the whole gang is around, would make our trip look like a sunday drive.

Old 29th December 2008, 14:56   #191
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Pal. I expected to meet you last saturday.

How much does new one cost in India?
Old 29th December 2008, 15:15   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Flat out!!???? You should join us when the whole gang is around, would make our trip look like a sunday drive.
Sshhh!

Anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you in a Court of Jaw!

Quote:
The mods on this car have to be stealth through and through. No one on the street or at home should find out.
Is that why you have a 'small' Pete's sticker on your car?

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th December 2008 at 15:17.
Old 29th December 2008, 21:05   #193
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats Pal. I expected to meet you last saturday.

How much does new one cost in India?
Well you should have called me then!
New ones will cost a cool 22k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Is that why you have a 'small' Pete's sticker on your car?
The small Pete's sticker is what I got when I purchased an "air filter" to increase the "mileage"
that is the official explanation at home, and I'm sticking to that!

Old 29th December 2008, 23:52   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Well you should have called me then!
New ones will cost a cool 22k

The small Pete's sticker is what I got when I purchased an "air filter" to increase the "mileage"
that is the official explanation at home, and I'm sticking to that!
12K for tarox? awosme man when do you plan to sell it? Im waiting

If the Filter is for the Mileage?
Then whats the explanation for the small BLUE box placed under the hood?
Old 30th December 2008, 00:55   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Then whats the explanation for the small BLUE box placed under the hood?
I dont think his family cares about whats under the hood. Anyway he's a doc - he could claim that it is the automotive equivalent of the small blue pill and was prescribed by Dr Peter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks