Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 15:01   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@jaggu
I'm running 185/70 R14 bridgestones. ran out of money for 15 inch alloys.
I find the tyres very good.
Are those Potenza GIIIs....??
Old 29th April 2008, 16:44   #107
rippergeo

yes KPzen, potenza G3s. except for the tyre noise I like them a lot.

Old 29th April 2008, 18:00   #108
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
How has the car become become less reliable ? I fail to see the logic here.

Yes ripper needs to be a little more careful but that doesnt mean its less reliable??
By your logic one can always be more careful and avoid all reliability issues. The point is that the car has to be reliable under some abuse. In this case will the filter tend to get clogged more frequently when the car is driven in heavy rain on the highway? You could say that ripper should be careful, but one cannot always avoid hitting water patches, especially when driving at high speed.
Old 29th April 2008, 18:39   #109
Team-BHP Support

hey sorry ripper, i somehow had this in mind you were on stock tyres, i think am becoming old 185 is decent enough for some spirited drives
Old 29th April 2008, 18:45   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
By your logic one can always be more careful and avoid all reliability issues.
Better safe than sorry?

Quote:
The point is that the car has to be reliable under some abuse.
Use... dont abuse they say.

Quote:
In this case will the filter tend to get clogged more frequently when the car is driven in heavy rain on the highway? You could say that ripper should be careful, but one cannot always avoid hitting water patches, especially when driving at high speed.
So he will devise a way to work around this... or in the monsoons switch to stock intake.

The extra thrill one gets of modding the car also calls from risk taking na?

Anyway I dont want to derail this thread, I just didnt see the logic in your reliability statement... end of the day its an opinion, so lets all thumba chill madi
Old 29th April 2008, 19:29   #111
rippergeo

I hope no one gets the wrong idea here. I dont fly around at 140 all the time. its only rarely when I feel someone with a fast car is threatening my safety, I zip away from them.

I stick to a constant of 100kmph. the tuning box lets me get there quicker than most other cars on the road, so leaving irritating traffic behind is easy, and I can drive in clear roads if I choose to do so.
AND... I have enough performance reserve left to take the car to 160 with ease. I like it like that.

if the road conditions are bad, or visiblity is poor or the traffic is thick, I'm sane and dont try any stunts.

if it rains,I slow down, simple.

if there is a possibilty of flooding, I now borrow my brother's endeavour.

the thought of driving without the tuning box and the CAI scares and revolts me.
worth every hard earned buck looking after drunk brits in london hospitals for 4yrs.

@rks- what reliability issues?
I drove through 3 feet of water with a CAI at 40kmph like an idiot. the car didnt stop(lucky) it complained for 30 secs and then drove like normal for the next 1 month or so, till I pushed it to 140.

and it it still did 140 much quicker than a stock car. did not break down/stop.

problem was fixed free of cost in 10 mins. what more can I ask for?

BTW- the stock air filter got clogged at 3000kms. i have to throw it away. the green filter? clean and pop back in for superior performance.

modding isnt for everyone. I'm willing to accept the risks in this case. miniscule as they are.

i doubt any other bolt on mod will be as reliable as this combination of the tuning box and the CAI.

Old 29th April 2008, 20:01   #112
rks
BANNED

Quote:
I@rks- what reliability issues?
I drove through 3 feet of water with a CAI at 40kmph like an idiot. the car didnt stop(lucky) it complained for 30 secs and then drove like normal for the next 1 month or so, till I pushed it to 140.

BTW- the stock air filter got clogged at 3000kms. i have to throw it away. the green filter? clean and pop back in for superior performance.
I don't recollect having to drive through 3 ft deep water. But every year I drive my Santro in blinding rain on the Mumbai-Pune highway, and inevitably hit water puddles at high speed. So far I have never had to clean/replace my stock air filter outside of routine service (usually every 5000 kms).

In your case, why did the stock air filter get clogged after 3000 kms? Did you drive on extremely dusty/dirty/wet roads? For normal usage it should not happen. My guess is that your Peted Swift is not tolerating the partial clogging that would normally occur in every stock air filter (even mine) after 3000 kms, because of the high performance requirements. Biut I could be wrong.

Last edited by rks : 29th April 2008 at 20:05.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:40   #113
rippergeo

Quote:
My guess is that your Peted Swift is not tolerating the partial clogging that would normally occur in every stock air filter (even mine) after 3000 kms, because of the high performance requirements. But I could be wrong.
You are!
shall we move on please?

Old 29th April 2008, 22:08   #114
rks
BANNED

Quote:
You are!
shall we move on please?
You asked a question and I answered it. By all means move on. I will make my exit here because I am not really interested in these kinds of mods wherein you find out that the air filter is choked by blue smoke belching from your engine or from abnormal engine noise, etc. I would prefer to keep my car stock and replace air filter according to m/c schedule, in order to avoid long-term engine damage.
Old 30th April 2008, 07:18   #115
rippergeo

thanks rks, i shall buy a santro and keep it stock for supreme performance combined with reliability.
a choked air filter will cause any car to belch smoke, and sound rough.
modded or unmodded.
the stock filter got choked at 3000kms(without the pete's box)

so, its no surprise that a more low situated CAI gets choked slightly earlier.
@rks- was this what you wanted to hear?
a CAI will need more care than a stock filter, agreed. but its not unreliable. it has to be used within prescribed limits.

If i had driven it normally through dust wind and rain(of which we have a lot in kerala and TN), it would have needed a clean at 4000km-5000km,the stock would have clogged around the same time.

its just that, this time, I drove through flooded roads, so it clogged at 1500km instead.

@rks-like you,I was answering a question. and inspite of that question being answered twice by me, and once by another thread reader, you persisted with the same question, and worse called my car unreliable. I find that difficult to tolerate.

the person who decides a car is unreliable is the owner/driver/user.

calling a car unreliable when it makes noise or belches smoke at 140kmph under heavy acceleration good enough to keep up with a stock verna CRDI, that is just plain silly.

call it higher than average maintenance,it wouldnt aggravate as much.
but it would still aggravate. I just had to clean an air filter for god's sake!

if you dont like cars being modded, you should not be in this section, forget being in this thread.

Old 30th April 2008, 19:43   #116
rks
BANNED

@rippergeo, I don't know why you are taking my comment personally. If you are satisfied with your mods, that is good for you. Others may look at it differently. I am interested in mods, but I know that there will be a price to be paid for performance increase. In life you seldom get something for nothing. So the question is what are the compromises that we are willing to make. Here we differ in our philosophies. Not that much of a big deal to get upset about.
Old 7th May 2008, 15:22   #117
rippergeo

FE updates

Have been commuting to my new workplace on the 4 lane highway.the up and down trip is 44kms. done during morning rush hour and afternoon lunch time.

of which 14kms is through town with slow moving traffic,
the rest- 30kms is on the highway.

AC is always on at its coldest, with the blower at 2.
I also have to carry to 2 staff members with me.
tyres are inflated to 33Psi in front and 31 in the rear with nitrogen.
tuning box is in 1st setting. and CAI has been cleaned out

experimented with 2 driving styles
1. pedal to the metal/scaring passenger's style- 14.8kmpl
this means, racing to 140 at every oppurtunity. hard braking, redlining, jack rabbit starts at the red lights.
Note- CAI was completely clogged during the week I was testing the insane style.

2.sedate/old man style
smooth acceleration and deceleration,keeping speeds between 80-90 through out 22.4kmpl
also note-
I had gone karting last weekend with other cochin TBHPians, the to journey was with sameel in a verna CRDI and the return jouney was with nikkibike in his LPG swift. both of them made sure that I couldnt religiously stick to my old man style of driving. that single to and fro trip sholud have costed me dearly.

the max time difference between the 2 styles was 7 mins or so(over a distance of 22kms)

even driving old man style, most of the other traffic was slower than me.
got overtaken only twice in 1 week while driving decently.
even if someone was in a hurry and overtook me, I would glide by them a few mins later when they were jockeying with others.

any sane person can see that driving decently is better for the car, the environment,your wallet and stress levels, not to mention safety.

Buttttttt

I'm going back to insane driving. I miss it too much.

Old 7th May 2008, 15:56   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm going back to insane driving. I miss it too much.
Please wear your seat belt and drive safe. We do not want to miss you.
Old 7th May 2008, 16:08   #119
BHPian

Man life is precious dont make a mockry of it

dude be carefull mann!!
i was kinda rash the other day but hey inside a verna the devil takes control of you..lol.
so when are you thinking of a stage 2 setting, and hey what about the oil??
and yes i did it again .. that insane speed junkie attitude of mine made me do it again on the BYpass...cbe L&T bypass.. but this time i was brave enough to stay there till i saw the bypass toll!! started braking like crazy from that moment!! stope right at the toll gate. lolz. thanks to the toll gate personel i got warning of the speed patrol in the next section..hehe. third section of bypass was a flop due to this!! fourth section . blast again!! dam the cross winds i was 10kmph short of the ton.
i did a mistake of tellin this to ma friend in the fairer sex ofcourse , she just blasted me like hell!!...lolz
so do keep us posted of the mileage you are getting. i am getting an awesome 16kmpl after this insane driving ..thanks to ma dads proper run- in i guess..haha.

take care and drive safe.
peace out
sameel
Old 7th May 2008, 16:19   #120
Senior - BHPian

Crazy mallus with diesel heads......

Last edited by kpzen : 7th May 2008 at 16:22.

Most Viewed