Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2008, 19:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

hey man congrats. Had a PP once. Had it scarp it off at last. We used it for 18 years. Could have gone long but then we had a new car and keeping both was getting expensive.
Old 21st February 2008, 09:41   #17
rippergeo

interesting work, but would you please type a few lines below each pic in the web album(picasa) so that mechanically challenged people like me can understand what we are looking at?

this is the last real affordable RWD in india is'nt it?never did get the chance to drive one inspite of having many in the family, my legs were too short to reach the pedals back then.

Old 21st February 2008, 10:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

I will certainly look forward for after plugging in the entire setup of the engine and other stuff. That would be one major makeover and as ripper pointed out do add a few lines for nerds like us.
Old 21st February 2008, 11:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

change front head lamps to clear lens lamp... borrow it from new ambassador..
change the steering either go in for after market wheels or borrow it from fiat palio and ty to get the front grill chromed.
Old 21st February 2008, 11:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
change front head lamps to clear lens lamp... borrow it from new ambassador..
change the steering either go in for after market wheels or borrow it from fiat palio and ty to get the front grill chromed.
yep chirag! it sounds great - just to add to your inputs:

HL - from the Amby Grand - get bosch relay and bosch halogens - the stock relay in the fiat IMO is PMP.

Steering Wheel - my car has a Momo Steering Wheel - Aditya (mod) has Momo in his 1100 as well.

Front Grill - get a mesh type grill - you can even DIY the mesh grill.

Old 21st February 2008, 15:26   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the ideas guys. I had to travel to the US in a hurry and am freezing my @$$ up here.

Steering wheel is definitely after market. Might do one in wood, if I decide to go ahead with a wooden dashboard and center console. Else will be a palio steeing covered in leather

I have had clear lenses for over 5 years with Bosch relays. I will use the ones from the new Amby, as the reflectors are . Unless I manage to lay my hands on a good set of HIDs here

The pics already have the engine in. Last update was that after we started it , found leaks in the crank case and pulled out the engine again. Got a crankcase gasket and should be putting her in again.

Currently the FFE mod is being rethought coz encyclopedia Fiatica Mr Dhabhar pointed me to a spring loaded valve in the exhaust manifold that is there on this engine, which lowers power if removed. Something to do with the Hitachi carb on it..Go figure

I was browsing and found this..

Datsun 1200 Club

T3 suck thru turbo with 100+BHP on a 900 kg rwd car.. wicked ..
Old 21st February 2008, 15:36   #22
BHPian

Picasa Web Albums - Vijayananda - My Premier Pa...

Comments added to the pictures in the album
Old 21st February 2008, 15:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Currently the FFE mod is being rethought coz encyclopedia Fiatica Mr Dhabhar pointed me to a spring loaded valve in the exhaust manifold that is there on this engine, which lowers power if removed. Something to do with the Hitachi carb on it..Go figure
wow! never knew that - care to explain more - has it gotto do something with the Hitachi Carb or in general the Solex carb or directly related to the manifold?
Old 21st February 2008, 15:53   #24
BHPian

i have no idea what the valve is doing there.. Am yet to research that. Most probably the carb will go..
Old 21st February 2008, 16:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

my mech once told me about a "pumping" carb - the hitachi carb similar to that "pumping" carb? may be the presence of the spring loaded valve has got something to do with the "pumping" thingy.

do you have a pic of the valve you are talking about?

which carb are you planning to fit?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 21st February 2008 at 16:08.
Old 21st February 2008, 16:09   #26
BHPian

If I go the whole hog and doa suck thru turbo, then a side draft carb. not yet completely thought out.

Was thing FI but will cost money.. unless I can get entire kit from some car , maybe an esteem??

Dunno..
Old 22nd February 2008, 08:27   #27
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Picasa Web Albums - Vijayananda - My Premier Pa...

Comments added to the pictures in the album
thanks for that vijay! like your homemade AC. we used to have one in our old padmini.

Old 3rd March 2008, 19:11   #28
BHPian

Update:
No new pictures as not much progress made.

Currently struggling with fixing pedals that hang to replace the plunger type ones that are there. Two reasons I am doing this. The plunger type leaves a hole on the floor that is indeed never seals properly. Second it is a pain in the @$$ for wifey in heels to drive.

Got an idea and drew it out for the mech. Lets see how he implements it.

If anyone comes across a cheap T3/T4 turbo, do let me know.

Thanks
Vijay
Old 8th May 2008, 13:17   #29
BHPian

Since I already posted on the other thread, thought I would bump this thread up.

Very little progress on the car over the last 2 months. We got into running condition as i wanted to drive it around for a couple of days to figure out the current state of performance. Unfortunately the Hitachi carb was a mess and could not hold revs at call. was stalling constantly. We had to start it so many times that the starter conked off. Ended up towing the car back to the garage.

First thoughts, it defintely has more power than the fiats 3 bearing 1100. But my Scorpio's torque has me hooked and I am leaning strongly towards the turbo.

Currently talking to RDKarthik to see if he can do the EFI for me.. that will make it much easier to TC than the carby setup.

Vijay
Old 25th November 2008, 13:36   #30
BHPian

Finally - Progress

I know this is an old thread that has not seen any update in 6 months. Lots of water has flown under the bridge since then.
Losing Dad in June put a huge dent in the enthu to work on the car, both for me and the mech.

Work done so far - engine and drive train mounted and tested. Pedals converted to hanging type and the steering mechanism being changed to a rack and pinion from an 800.

It was a little after Dussera that we woke up and said it is time to do justice to the car and start again. So the mech hired a tinkerer cousin of his to exclusively work on this car. Last weekend was heartening to see all 5 people in the workshop working on this car

Current state :
Running boards and platform - done
Doors and roof being worked on.
Fenders and boot+bonnet - next.

A few snaps that I took

A few pics that I took:
Attached Thumbnails
Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-gopalrt-rear-door.jpg  

Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-img00022.jpg  

Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-img00025.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks