Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 13:46   #31

Great to see another a detailed Resto. Also, is that a Fiat 600 in the Background?
Old 25th November 2008, 16:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Great to see another a detailed Resto. Also, is that a Fiat 600 in the Background?
The yellow car is a Mazda R360- a n aircooled twin that is next in line.

2 more cars currently being restored are a citroen avante and a Chevy Bel Air. A ground up resto of a 49 Buick Super Eight was completed a few months ago.

Vijay
Old 26th November 2008, 18:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see someone so painstakingly restore his old car. I am sure it has many memories attached to it.

All the best for the project. Will look forward to the end result.

Cheers
Old 27th November 2008, 19:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wow Vijay, nice to see a Premier Padmini in this section. My best wishes for your project, which is now running parallel to 3 - 4 more fiat restos elsewhere, including mine.
Old 27th November 2008, 22:49   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post

2 more cars currently being restored are a citroen avante and a Chevy Bel Air. A ground up resto of a 49 Buick Super Eight was completed a few months ago.

Vijay
Ha ha ha..

Vijay, you are a lucky man, this guy who's restoring your car is one gem of a guy, i think you are referring to Mr Gopal on the J P Nagar Ring Road. What detailing he does to all his restorations, truly wonderful.

The Buick Super 8 belongs to Mr Yadalam, another avid collector and a Bangalore Beetle Club member.

T-BHP guys, look out for this Premier Padmini, its going to come out on top after restoration.
Old 27th November 2008, 23:04   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking good, all the best for the future mods. I can see we have a lot to learn from your project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post

Wow, any more pics of these? Especially the Mazda.
Old 28th November 2008, 12:57   #37
BHPian

@ Karlos - pics after I am back from Kerala in 10 days

The super 8 I am talking about had no hood emblem - not sourceable in 8 months -

Solution , make it by hand from Brass - 18 days of labour and 28 k later - done That is Gopal. This guy is insane on what he can do with metal .

He is the guy in the first picture tapping one door, for an entire day refusing to use body filler on it.

Absolutely no credit to me for finding this guy. My old man found him at a bar (of all places) in 1997 and they have been friends ever since.
Old 18th January 2009, 18:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vijay, long time no news ? What's the progress like on the Padmini ? Some pictures please ?
Old 29th January 2009, 23:28   #39
BHPian

All that has been happen happening in the last 2 months is tinkering, tinkering and more tinkering. Given the level of detail that my mech goes into, this was to be expected. Another thing that added time was the unfruitful search for a NOS boot lid(dikkie) We ended up patching up the existing boot itself :(

Another thing that was driving us nuts was the steering gear versus hanging pedal conundrum. We had gone down the path of putting on a maruti 800 rack and plant an esteem master cylinder on the firewall where the original steering box was.
Althought this would have worked, it would have changed the steering angle and we would have lost the classic precision of the fiat steering. So out went the maruti rack and back went in the fiat box.

to attach the mount for the pedals, we are using a 15 guage sheet that will be sed to reinforce the firewall . The master cylinder will then be relocated to the front , just behind the radiator. We would use a stout GI pipe to connect the brake lever to the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-all-tinwork-done.jpg  

Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-dickie-done.jpg  

Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-esteem-master-cylinder.jpg  

Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-reusing-fiat-steering-box.jpg  

Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-mount-pedals.jpg  

Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-hanging-pedals.jpg  

Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-discarded-maruti-800-rack.jpg  

Resto-mordernizing my first love - my Dad's Premier Padmini 1989-two-holes-steerinf-pushrod-brake.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2009, 23:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Looking good, Vijay.. This level of detail is sure going to make her a "concourse" edition. Cheers !
Old 4th February 2009, 00:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I had a look at this baby a few weeks back, and from the way its turning out, i'm 100% sure that this is going to be one of India's best Padminis, If not the best. The attention to detail that this guy has is amazing!
Old 6th February 2009, 15:25   #42
BHPian

Hey,

What is the update on the Padmini ? I too have my Dad's 84 Padmini, my first love. I could manage to get it repainted and refitted while in Mumbai. But I am finding it too dificult to even get minor defects rectified in Delhi.

Whats been the approx. cost till now? Probably, I should ship my car to Bangalore to get it restored !
Old 9th February 2009, 16:36   #43
BHPian

Sandeep,

The work is moving at snail's pace. I am not really complaining, coz I think the effort that Gopal is putting in far far exceeds the money he is charging. The budget on this car is APPROX 1.5, half of which has already been spent.

The Delhi guys must be able to help you out, try posting in the classics section.

Unless you are looking at a budget higher than mine , plus the transport, shipping it here will not make sense.

Vijay
Old 9th February 2009, 17:10   #44
BHPian

prabhu,

this has been a long cherished desire of mine to get a padimini and restore her. if you do not mind, please could ot share the details of where this work is being carried out in bangalore. i would surely like to take a look at it. also being part of a few fiat communities the i am all the more tempted!
Old 10th February 2009, 15:32   #45
BHPian

My car is being worked upon in Banashankari, at the intersection of Kanakapura road and the ring road, in a galli parallel to the ring road. If you need to go there ,pm me and i will send you my number.

Thanks
Vijay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks