Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2008, 11:11   #46
BHPian

Just ignore the person coming with high beam from the opposite direction, think about the family and the responsibilities you have. Slow down the vehicle, and start moving. This definitely gives you peace of mind and you will be spared of any brawls and fights since you do not know what category of people you are dealing with.
Old 24th January 2008, 11:38   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
Slow down the vehicle, and start moving.

If you try that on a 2 lane highway with traffic, you will end up spending your entire night covering maybe 30 kms or so.
Old 24th January 2008, 11:47   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Couldn't agree with Hemanth more!

Give the twit your high beam with whatever wattage (!) you can but DO remember that there could be any (or more) of the following:
  1. Unlit parked truck or vehicles;
  2. Sharp curve in the road;
  3. Bridge parapet;
  4. Ditch;
  5. Other moving vehicle;
  6. Pedestrians etc etc
The few precious seconds when one is throwing water balloons with black paint, switching on the LED signs, raising offensive fingers or driving directly at the oncoming vehicle could mean the difference between your (and others) lives and death.

Just think about it: Once on the next world, do you want to realise that you threw your life away because of a high beam headlamp?

Relax. Try and slow down and move left. Note the leftmost extremity of the road. Try and focus through the lights into the darkness beyond.

I know it's easier said than done but the repurcussions of a hot-headed move can be catastrophic!

Don't flame me: The above is just my tgake on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
Just ignore the person coming with high beam from the opposite direction, think about the family and the responsibilities you have. Slow down the vehicle, and start moving. This definitely gives you peace of mind and you will be spared of any brawls and fights since you do not know what category of people you are dealing with.
Old 24th January 2008, 14:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Get an HID - blind the living daylights outta him, and then go back to regular city lights.
Nope. These so called "poor bikers" nowdays will also run their bikes with high beam enough to blind the oncoming vehicles. This is my personal experience everyday.
Old 24th January 2008, 15:16   #50
BHPian

I fully agree that keeping a cool is essential towards not endangering yourself and others. That's why I stress that the solution to be practical. While blinding the other guy, and paint filled water balloons are dangerous, LED signs and stickers aren't. And really, I am just looking for ideas of the latter persuasion.

Please keep them coming!
Old 24th January 2008, 15:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Team BHP members are prone to loads of road rage too. Black paint balloons, xenon's, screaming, showing the finger etc...Very often, I lose my cool too, and like it or not, my driving style changes totally when I'm bugged.

Liked Behrams post on how he handles insensitive/ignorant drivers. I think we all need to learn from him, and need to be more calm, so that we are better drivers in the long run.

After all, we're supposed to be automobile lovers, and driving well with a rational mind should be one of our top priorities, is'nt it?
Old 24th January 2008, 15:28   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Option 1 : Install a big mirror on the car's rear end to reflect the beam back into his eyes.

Thats actually a very novel idea! Both the front and rear windscreens should be one-way mirrors facing outwards. Practically people can instal bright silver colored films on their front and rear windscreens to achieve this effect.
Old 24th January 2008, 15:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

"Revenge" itself is another form of road-rage. I guess whatever one hundred and one novel idea, it only stresses you, as it can never have positive impact on the on-coming stupid, illiterate arrogant driver.
One possible way is to educate them through traffic cops, that using hi-beams is not only dangerous for others but dangerous for you too, by inviting accidents. This is long drawn process, but slowly things will fall in place.
10 years ago, most of the drivers never knew how to use their indicators for turning, how to negotiate round-abouts (circles..!!!) and now most of them are aware of these things. Similarly, time will teach them.
But most surprising thing is, the truck drivers and government bus drivers follow the head-light rules so meticulously, I dont know who taught these people, also many of them illiterate.
Old 24th January 2008, 16:09   #54
BHPian

No tit for tat please....

Well said Hemant...

If everyone could think like you, probably the world would be a much better place.....
Whenever you are accosted on the road by some uneducated unruly driver who drives on high beam, drives rash, overtakes you from the left and then swerves right in front of you, does not budge when you honk because he is on his mobile and has no clue of the road around him etc. etc., there is no better solution than to ignore.
Believe me guys, this is not cowardice but there is no point in such attitude. You should think about who is waiting for you at home, you should think about your old parents who live for you.....think about your wife who has no life of her own but only lives for you and kids....think about your pet who so selflessly welcomes you home everyday.
All these 'macho drivers' are nothing but a heap of dung who suffer from some sort of complex and are best avoided.......
I drive a Sierra and if I want, I can beat the metal out of any Tom, Dick and Harry who wants to mess with me.....But think of it, if this was the attitude with which everyone ventures out on the road, God help mankind.
Enough preaching, I guess, I must stop now........
Old 24th January 2008, 16:18   #55
BHPian

i usually play a game of chicken with the high beam wh***s. drive right into them, usually works unless the other driver likes the game too

or how about keepin a portable red blue police lights in the car and switching it on, maybe that will scare them into low beam mode?

the paint filled balloon was a great idea, imagine getting a windsheild covered in red paint when driving at 2am doing about 120kmph!!!!!
Old 24th January 2008, 16:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
I fully agree that keeping a cool is essential towards not endangering yourself and others. That's why I stress that the solution to be practical. While blinding the other guy, and paint filled water balloons are dangerous, LED signs and stickers aren't. And really, I am just looking for ideas of the latter persuasion.

Please keep them coming!
Sir, even though it is politicaly correct to talk about driver education etc, In a country like India where ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAW IS based on whether the police man has run out of personal funds or if you belong to the wrong political party , community or ethnicity , driver education is not effective.

In western countries, 99% of the people obey the law because

(a) Life is much easier if you obey the law . Obeying the law makes you reach your objective quicker

(b) Fear or punishment as there is Strong law enforcement

(c) Social Stigma associated with behaving like a hooligan

In India these are the same factors that make people Not obey the law.

(a) Life is made hell for law abiding citizens both by their compatriots and by the law enforcers

(b) There is Zero law enforcement based on merit of the offence and Most often law enforcement happens if the Policeman needs some cash to buy groceries or liquor. All of us subconsciously know this. Therefore we hate and disrespect policemen and flaunt the law.

(c) Breaking the law is considered a gallantry in India and is boasted about.

My following statement might provoke a severe response but the truth is

"We are a hair's breadth away from being afghanistan. We should thank the gods that we even exist as a single country leave alone worrying about people not obeying auto lighting laws. We are a deeply tribal people who have a rich culture and heritage. We are extremely kind to people we know and value education etc. , but social order is not one of our high priority values"

Unless one comes to grips with reality one cannot react appropriately to a given situation.

I would not bet even 1 rupee on a plan that claims to educate drivers. Not that it should not be attempted, but one has to be realistic. In this scenareo, I take the following steps.

(1) Inside the city I take VOLVO bus / Auto / Walk
(2) I expect every one on the road to behave in an uncivilized fashon. So I do not get upset when I see one
(3) I enjoy people who behave rudely on the road. Espescially when I am with my friends. I point them out to my friends and call the "cuties" and "geniuses" and pass comments. For the choice few who are just fools, I reserve a "flying kiss" or a "Tamil Nadu Police constable style salute"
(4) Car pool with my friends so that our suffering is cut 1/4th.
(5) Avoid driving in the night, unless it is an emergency or Sunday night.
(6) Listen to good lectures on Bagawad Geetha or Srimath Bagawatham or Thirumuruga Krupanandha variar while driving

This might not be the solution for everyone , but I am not as angry as I used to be on the road.
rrnsss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2008, 16:33   #57
BHPian

In short it is a waste of time trying to change other's behaviour. You should change/ increase your level of patience while others take advantage of your civility and patience and continue to act agressively.

The true "agni-Parikhsha" (acid test) for your patience and forgiveness if you ask me
Old 24th January 2008, 16:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Sir, even though it is politicaly correct to talk about driver education etc, In a country like India where ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAW IS based on whether the police man has run out of personal funds or if you belong to the wrong political party , community or ethnicity , driver education is not effective.

In western countries, 99% of the people obey the law because

(a) Life is much easier if you obey the law . Obeying the law makes you reach your objective quicker

(b) Fear or punishment as there is Strong law enforcement

(c) Social Stigma associated with behaving like a hooligan

In India these are the same factors that make people Not obey the law.

(a) Life is made hell for law abiding citizens both by their compatriots and by the law enforcers

(b) There is Zero law enforcement based on merit of the offence and Most often law enforcement happens if the Policeman needs some cash to buy groceries or liquor. All of us subconsciously know this. Therefore we hate and disrespect policemen and flaunt the law.

(c) Breaking the law is considered a gallantry in India and is boasted about.

My following statement might provoke a severe response but the truth is

"We are a hair's breadth away from being afghanistan. We should thank the gods that we even exist as a single country leave alone worrying about people not obeying auto lighting laws. We are a deeply tribal people who have a rich culture and heritage. We are extremely kind to people we know and value education etc. , but social order is not one of our high priority values"

Unless one comes to grips with reality one cannot react appropriately to a given situation.

I would not bet even 1 rupee on a plan that claims to educate drivers. Not that it should not be attempted, but one has to be realistic. In this scenareo, I take the following steps.

(1) Inside the city I take VOLVO bus / Auto / Walk
(2) I expect every one on the road to behave in an uncivilized fashon. So I do not get upset when I see one
(3) I enjoy people who behave rudely on the road. Espescially when I am with my friends. I point them out to my friends and call the "cuties" and "geniuses" and pass comments. For the choice few who are just fools, I reserve a "flying kiss" or a "Tamil Nadu Police constable style salute"
(4) Car pool with my friends so that our suffering is cut 1/4th.
(5) Avoid driving in the night, unless it is an emergency or Sunday night.
(6) Listen to good lectures on Bagawad Geetha or Srimath Bagawatham or Thirumuruga Krupanandha variar while driving

This might not be the solution for everyone , but I am not as angry as I used to be on the road.
Agree to you on the points that I have highlighted.

I guess when one tries to avoid conflicts and take a mild stand it usually gets taken as weakness. There are days when I say to myself to "be calm on the road and let the other person do whatever he wants, I should not react."

I maintain this for a max of 20minutes, beyond that I find that everyone seems to be trying to run me off the road! and i get back to aggressive driving.

this does not mean that I go full blast with high beam and drive on the wrong side of the road, but yes, I do switch to high beam if the other person doesn't low his / honk like mad if I do not get space to overtake when the road is clear and the other person is travelling at a faction of the speed i am travelling and so on.

OT: RRNSS, what is the 'TN police salute'???
Old 24th January 2008, 16:50   #59
BHPian

TN Police constable salute is a special type of salute the constables give to Senior police officers as they zoom past them on the road. They bend at the hips to make sure their head is at the same level as the window of the car. Then they place their hand not on the forehead or temple but inbetween their eyebrows. This gives the passing officer an unobstructed view of the face of the saluting sycophant and a view of the salute.

It is a sight to behold I tell you.
Old 24th January 2008, 16:57   #60
BHPian

One simple solution, install an IR camera with a LCD screen in your car.

Most Viewed