Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 16:01   #151
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Abusive language is STRICTLY prohibited on this community, even if used indirectly (*****). Do NOT use inappropriate words on Team-BHP. A clean protocol is absolutely imperative keeping our varied audience in mind.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2009 at 15:37.
Old 28th February 2009, 16:32   #152
BHPian

@ gd1418, your scorp realy looks very handsome with all the lights on. It will be nice if you can let us know the tech details on the the connections and switchs you used in your car.

How did you manage the HL HIDS to give you both low and high beam?
Where did you get the Hellas from?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th February 2009, 20:43   #153
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I dont think I have such brilliant suggestions on just one page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagMan View Post
Fog lamps mounted on the rear door any one????
Actually have seen these on a few SUVs and wondered why, now I know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sorry to revive this ancient thread, but saw a lovely CRV (old design) DL 3C A? 5344.

This gentleman had THREE FOGS (local, not hella make) on a rear mounted bar (the ones tavera/cab guys put) - 2 on one side, 1 on other, and FOUR horns (the pulsar kinds) in the middle.

All you insensitive heroes who run amok with 12000K HIDs and other irritating headlamps - beware - your biggg dadddyy is here
If anyone sees this vehicle again please inspire us with some pics of this vehicle. This Uncle is pure Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
what about just plonking a convex mirror on the back of your car?
This actually might work very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I normally & always drive within the city only on fog lamps. The HLs (10000K HIDs) are very rarely switched on. On the highway, it is a different story altogether. If the road is dark then along with the fog lamps the HLs in low beam mode are on.

This normally takes care of most errant drivers. For the more enterprising a flick to high beam settles the issue.

For a bit more of the enterprising ones, the strobes that are housed in the parking light bay are switched on.

For the admamant truckers, state buses, Volvos, Skodas with projector lamps and similar cars, the roof lights are switched on, alongwith the rest of the above.

For the hard core, finally the Hella Rallye 3000s are switched on in the lighted slugfest..

Well, it takes a lot for me to come to this situation..

Attachment 105875
Another Anti High Beam fighting mean machine. GD what do you think about some fogs on your rear.

Personally. Flicking 90/100s on high beam works very well for oncoming high beamers. Does not work on Trucks. But I got quite a few pointers on the last page.
Old 28th February 2009, 21:49   #154
Senior - BHPian

Not till date... Simply because I don't switch them on in city limits at all..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Havent you ever gotten stopped for the lights on the roof?
The roof lights came with a switch and relay of their own with dual buttons - one each for 2 of them; that means you had to press both the buttons to switch on all the four roofs. I removed the original bulb and replaced them with Narva high-intensity 50W bulbs.

The HL/HIDs came with their own ballast/relays and the tubes are motorised with two filaments; when you flick to high beam, the motor rotates the tube and the bigger filament lights up.

My accessories guy procured the Hellas for me. The hellas came with their own relay and I connected them to one of the buttons of the roof light switch. Now, with one button all the four roofs light-up and with the other button the Hellas.

And they all work only when the parking lights are switched on.. Thanks Sudipta for liking the scorp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
@ gd1418, your scorp realy looks very handsome with all the lights on. It will be nice if you can let us know the tech details on the the connections and switchs you used in your car.

How did you manage the HL HIDS to give you both low and high beam?
Where did you get the Hellas from?

Thanks in advance.
I still don't understand the need to have fogs on rear. Aren't the tail lights and the switched on hazards sufficient to warn people at the back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Another Anti High Beam fighting mean machine. GD what do you think about some fogs on your rear.
Old 28th February 2009, 23:28   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still don't understand the need to have fogs on rear. Aren't the tail lights and the switched on hazards sufficient to warn people at the back?
Go with the topic, When you have someone on High Beams behind you flashing them right into your rear view mirrors blinding you, I sure would flick that Fog at the rear on to get him to lower his beam.

Most of us cannot set that on a Sedan, however have seen this set up in quite a few big rollers. Today I learnt why.
Old 1st March 2009, 02:18   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Not till date... Simply because I don't switch them on in city limits at all..!
My brother got fined like twice by the same cop on his route to work on account of them being there, forget about being on. He argued but to no avail. Cop said you cant:
a) have lights above the headlight level
b) have more lights than the car came with from the factory

I think (b) was just a random "law" he came up with, but my brother isnt getting lights on the roof for his Safari because of this reason. Though they do look really cool!

EDIT- About your Headlight HIDs, you said the second filament lights up when the motor rotates. Doesnt the second filament take time to light up? I'm guessing since you have so many other lights its ok, but am just wondering in a car which doesnt have any other lights, what one would do...

Last edited by anantnehru : 1st March 2009 at 02:22.
Old 1st March 2009, 11:16   #157
Senior - BHPian

You cannot add fit lights above the headlight level. This is a real law.
Old 1st March 2009, 12:03   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
You cannot add fit lights above the headlight level. This is a real law.
the actual spec states
for front fogs
Quote:
Not less than 250 mm above the ground. No point on the
apparent surface in the direction of the reference axis shall be higher than
the highest point on the apparent surface in the direction of the reference
axis of the dipped-beam headlamp.
for rear fogs
Quote:
Not less than 250 mm and not more than 1000 mm above the
ground.

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st March 2009 at 12:05.
Old 1st March 2009, 13:02   #159
Team-BHP Support

ACtually for cars and SUVs the law is different.
Old 1st March 2009, 13:52   #160
Senior - BHPian

http://www.araiindia.com/Cpanel/Imag...%20AIS-008.pdf

it says for all vehicles > 3 wheels except agricultural and special purpose vehicles
Old 1st March 2009, 22:52   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
The other side of the coin - many roads in Hyderabad are so badly lit that low beam is absolutely inadequate. There are guys dozing in the middle of desolate roads after a full bottle of rum, buffalo herds ruminating resting in a group, sporty teenagers appearing from between the bushy trees on the dividers sometimes with a bicycle in hand as bonus. There are also foot deep trenches that you cannot avoid within the range of low beam, bullock carts that quietly merge into the overall scene, and trucks camouflaged much better than army vehicles and with no rear light or reflector that you can't make out until you ram into them.

So yes, while I consciously try to use low beam as much as possible, sadly low beam is rarely adequate.
guys this was about many posts stating low beam is very often inadequate for late night driving. here is a suggestion I got from a cab driver in bengaluru which I found very very useful. It takes care of most problems Glass lists in his post.

He said that most drivers only use the dipper (low to high to low) when trying to signal the car in front. But he suggested ALSO doing the same on empty roads (with no cars in front) for
-> late night city driving
-> driving on a highway which is relatively empty.
To quote him "dipper oditha irabeku" (kannada).

In the city I find it most useful to pick out people crossing the road, with or without bicycles! Sorry for going off-topic but Glass, I strongly believe everybody has a right to the road, whether us in our cars or the watchman going home after his night shift.

On the highway I find it very useful to pick out the trucks with no tail-lights on and with no reflectors.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in any other post/thread.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:00   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
http://www.araiindia.com/Cpanel/Image/file_publ/5~15~2008~11~31~26~AM09%20AIS-008.pdf

it says for all vehicles > 3 wheels except agricultural and special purpose vehicles
Actually if you read the spec it says
Quote:
1. Page no.13, Clause no. 6.1.4.2
Substitute “ 500 mm ” for “450 mm ”.
2. Page no. 14 , Clause no. 6.2.4.2
Substitute “ 500 mm ” for “450 mm ”.
In second line, after “ --- above the ground. ” add “For category N3G (off road) vehicles, the
maximum height may be increased to 1500 mm.”
3. Page no.16, clause 6.2.6.1.2
Add at the end :
“ For category N3G (off road) vehicles where the head lamp exceed a height of 1200 mm,
the limits for the vertical inclination of the cut off shall be between – 1.5% and –
3.5%.
The initial aim shall be set between: - 2% and – 2.5% ”
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:34   #163
Senior - BHPian

On which route & where?

While point (a) is true, then the same yardstick should be applied to all those Tata Sumos, Endys etc., of polticos that sport roof lights...

Point (b) is all bull...

Correction about the Hi-Lo for my HL HIDs - the filament is only one and burns bright; it is the reflector that is flipped by the built in motor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
My brother got fined like twice by the same cop on his route to work on account of them being there, forget about being on. He argued but to no avail. Cop said you cant:
a) have lights above the headlight level
b) have more lights than the car came with from the factory

I think (b) was just a random "law" he came up with, but my brother isnt getting lights on the roof for his Safari because of this reason. Though they do look really cool!

EDIT- About your Headlight HIDs, you said the second filament lights up when the motor rotates. Doesnt the second filament take time to light up? I'm guessing since you have so many other lights its ok, but am just wondering in a car which doesnt have any other lights, what one would do...
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:13   #164
BHPian

Re

great thread.
i have been grappling with this issue ever since i remember. specially with santro's and wagon r's. seems these two setups have lights pointed at the oncoming traffic (so as to ensure minimum visibility for oncoming motorists and therefore maximum nuisance).
have had an accident once in one of the side streets although i was on 3rd gear and at 35kmph. bumped into a dog (poor thing) while coming back home one night while it was raining. Mitsu service said they cant do anything about the front bumper, replacement would cost 5K. or get it bolted. looks a little ugly but spending 5K didnt make sense.
After this incident, i normally switch to high beam, slow down and switch to second gear to a crawl. Many of them get the sense on whats wrong but there are several who drive on blissfully unaware.
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:36   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
...But he suggested ALSO doing the same on empty roads (with no cars in front) for
-> late night city driving
-> driving on a highway which is relatively empty.
To quote him "dipper oditha irabeku" (kannada).
Yes, a good practice since this will let your eyes adjust to the changes and you will actually see more than just on the high beam full time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks