Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:21   #1
BHPian

Revenge on full beam blinders

If there's one thing that really really gets my goat about driving in Delhi, it's the people who incessantly use full beams at night even when it's not required. It's awful because it blinds both the person in front of you (by shining through his side view mirrors) and the person coming from the other direction.

This makes driving very dangerous due to the huge number of unknown factors on the road - sudden dividers or curves, cows crossing, pedestrians running across the road, potholes, two wheelers driving without any lights etc. As a result I sometimes have to slow down to a crawl to avoid any mishap and this is seriously pissing off.

I have tried slowing down, letting the dude overtake me, and then flashing my full beams on him from the rear, but alas, this has no effect. I don't think such people even realize that they are annoying and endangering others.

Would love to get some creative input from members here on what one can do about it. I have had the following ideas, but since they are not too practical I thought I would put the issue here:
  1. Putting a heavy duty fog light on my car and really blinding the s**t out of the guy.
  2. Putting a LED sign on my rear and front windshield with a button inside to scroll some choice swear words at the offender.
  3. Getting some stickers printed like "You are a bad driver. Turn your goddamn full beam off" and sticking them on the dude's car if I can get close enough.
See... unpractical.

So are there any modifications that one can do, or accessories one can fit to avoid this problem?
vebmetal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

check out the following links: Car Accessories including Smiley Faces LED Car Sign for Rear Window ThinkGeek :: Driving LED Emoticon

so point number 2 is possible
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Putting a heavy duty fog light on my car and really blinding the s**t out of the guy.
You will be doing the same thing brother.

I guess, till the time roads are adequately illuminated.

People driving in their respective lanes according to speed at night. I have seen very few people responding to flashes for overtaking.
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I once spat on the driver of a Govt. reg vehicle when he was coming down near the TV tower with high beam+fogs. I was riding my yam at the time with no helmet. Guiltyyyyyyyyyy as charged.

On my earlier car I had jet black tints and around 60% visibility tints on the front, it cut out all the glare

Last edited by s0uljah : 22nd January 2008 at 17:47. Reason: tint suggestion
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
I guess, till the time roads are adequately illuminated.

People driving in their respective lanes according to speed at night. I have seen very few people responding to flashes for overtaking.
No point buddy. These are educated idiots which they also understand what will happen if they put on the h/beam at nights. But they still prefer to do so.

In my case, if I see anybody with h/beam, I will switch my car's h/beam with fog lamps so that the person coming in front of me will also get the same treatment. It does not matter if anything happens to my car.
snaronikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Some drivers dont even dim and dip during the night and the full beam on is such a menace that such people are just incorrigible.

While doing a dim and dip some people just stare @ you and that ticks me off to the core and when will those morons ever understand what for and why is it used for ?
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just head straight for those blinding lights (praying of course).
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
No point buddy. These are educated idiots which they also understand what will happen if they put on the h/beam at nights. But they still prefer to do so.
you are absolutely right about these Educated Drivers - they have no respect for others.

i have come across cabbies with some street sense, i.e., they will switch off / dim their HLs (use low beam) if you do the same and let you see the road - but that is very rare. my car has this anti-glare IRVM which helps me a lot.

@ E_L - aah! i do the same thing most of the time

Last edited by planet_rocker : 22nd January 2008 at 17:57.
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

IMHO the funny thing, is that a bright light is actually a bad idea and it reduces visibility.
Create a huge ball of glow in front of you and you cannot see anything else on the sides of the road.
I prefer dim lights to bright lights.
all the money wasted on bright lights is better spent on carrots.
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Whenever someone from the opposite side blares their high beam i blare mine and with those 90/100s its really powerful.They immediately most of the time lower their lights and if they dont i dont either.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

I agree with vebmetal infact that LED idea has being up on my mind for ages!!!!
And now what is even worse is people getting HIDs and then putting them on high beam to show off!!!

One day i say a corolla with HIDs in Fogs+Low Beam+High Beam All six glowing blinding the s*%t out of every driver on the road,I also have HIDs in the High Beam but i never use them,I always drive around with the Fogs and if at all needed then the projectors.
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:12   #12
BHPian

My Sierra has high beam that can annoy even the most stubborn SUV/four wheeler driver. Of course the bulbs are H4 90-100W. Since I always drive with low beams even on highways, almost always drivers approaching with high-beam from opposite side respond by dimming when I turn to high-beam!

But yes of course, there is no solution to the ones driving with high-beams from behind.
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:20   #13
BHPian

Vebmetal you are spot on buddy!

High beams piss me off like NO other. From a regular guy enjoyin a drive i become THOR the god of thunder!!

What i do/have done

a. roll my windows dowm
b. stick my hand out as far as possiblr and show the finger in the most offensive way possible!!

a. Go very close of the guy coming int he opposite direction almost scaring him into believing i am gonna bang him!
b. all this while giving him the dipper!

In regular markets, or very slow residential driving i have on more than one occasion stopped my car in the opposite lane! and with a stern tone asked the person " aap andhe ho?"

Offcourse I often pull up next to a-hole and tell them politely how difficult they are making live for other!

There is not much we can do!

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 22nd January 2008 at 18:24.
Elito11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have said this before, there are idiots who go on high beam inside the city under sufficiently bright street lights.. What are they expecting?? Do they need flood lights instead of street light to drive in the city !!

Me.. I even switch down to parking lights while waiting at traffic signals/jams
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

At city speeds, I usually switch to high beams and drive head on towards them.
This works for sedans and few small cars. Some SUVs and trucks are immune to this treatment.
Disclaimer:This is done by professionals under safe conditions Do not try this.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks