Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Option 1 : Install a big mirror on the car's rear end to reflect the beam back into his eyes.

Option 2: Get a bunch of those laser pointer's (ones which emit a red laser beam used for presentations etc). Turn all of them ON and ask the passenger to direct the beam at his eyes.

But seriously, dont try the above options. The stupid blind guy might end up injuring/killing himself or someone else on the road. Try your best to politely point it out to him if you meet him at the traffic signal. Or get a whacky bumper sticker that will deliver the message to him.
Old 22nd January 2008, 20:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Whenever someone from the opposite side blares their high beam i blare mine and with those 90/100s its really powerful.They immediately most of the time lower their lights and if they dont i dont either.
Best, i do the same but with HID. Only difference is they have to lower their beam forcibly

I had always tried giving dipper from the other end but 99% in vain. Installed HID and now they get the same treatment.

Last edited by kjdesigns_2000 : 22nd January 2008 at 20:34.
Old 22nd January 2008, 20:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdesigns_2000 View Post
Installed HID.
Hi Kj, your profile pic displays an esteem. Do you have the HID's installed on the esteem? If yes, how much did it cost and where did you source them and get them installed?
Old 22nd January 2008, 20:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is a very painful situation discussed in many places as I remember commenting about it too. But none of the discussions nor comments can make any difference in the real life until Government takes an initiation to educate the public about the harm in using high beams at wrong places.

I find majority of educated class driving in high beams even in well-lit small inside roads of the city. Some are show-off with HIDs, some due to total ignorance, some for aggressive road presence, reasons will be plenty. Bikes and scooters are no exception. Even the silly TVS luna irritates opposite person because most of them are pointing to the sky !

In my experience, most cabbies and taxis respond to dipping, may be because they spent major part of their life on roads. Higher the education and job profile, lesser you can expect any respect to the fellow drivers on the road, no personal targets to anyone, its the truth.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 20:59   #20
BHPian

I have a set of driving lights 100 W each that scatter a lot of light to the side. So when some one comes towards me with glaring lights , I turn on the driving lights and concentrate on the edge of the road on my left and drive rather than looking straight ahead. This is very effective when you are in a passive mood.

When I am not so passive, I have 130/110 as my head lights . I turn them on and that does the trick. If that doesn't work then I bring the pain by switching on my LIGHTFORCE 240 Blitz pencil beam .

For the few who do not respond, I have a hand held LIGHTFORCE 240 marine focus light that I plug into the cigratte lighter and focus it straight into the lorry driver's eyes and give it a little shake to dazzle his eyes.

For those behind me I have a set of Bosch 100 W driving lights mounted on my rear roof. I flash of those lights gets the point across usually.

In the front I have a total of 660 W and in the rear I have 200 W. And a 75 Amps alternator.

Last edited by rrnsss : 22nd January 2008 at 21:08.
rrnsss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 21:04   #21
BHPian

Intellectually compromised drivers who do not dip their beams when there's a guy coming in the opposite direction are a bane on our roads. I am planning to fix a bank of photoflashes on top of my right ORVM, all directed at 45 angles to the right. I'll press a switch as the retard passes by and that will blind him totally for the next 6.5 seconds! I think that way I can get the message across.
Old 22nd January 2008, 21:13   #22
BHPian

BTW I avoid driving in bangalore. I take the volvo and auto to most places I go. On the highway, I use 100 W low beam . When I get glare I switch of my low beam and switch on my side lights.

The others are meant for forest driving and offroading during night. And occasionl when I am angry at the on coming idiot. But since I found that it makes me angry, I have AVOIDED driving in the night. Not worth getting my BP up
Old 22nd January 2008, 21:16   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

A problem we encounter every day. And not just from four-wheelers. The high-beam of a bike can be equally disconcerting. And the most consistent category of culprits is the Tata Ace drivers - 90% of Tata Ace's that I have encountered have been with their high-beams on.
Quote:
n_aditya : Option 1 : Install a big mirror on the car's rear end to reflect the beam back into his eyes.
Good idea ! We could get this hooked up to a photo-sensitive system so the mirror comes out only when a guy behind us is using his highbeams.
Quote:
humyum : Whenever someone from the opposite side blares their high beam i blare mine and with those 90/100s its really powerful.They immediately most of the time lower their lights and if they dont i dont either.
This is the one method I have found to be quite effective. I often get a high-beam flash from the guy coming in the opp direction because he thinks I am using my high-beams. When I switch to my 100W high-beam, he does back off.

There are times when I think the opposite guy has his high-beams on & I flash my high-beams. At such times I sometimes get the same response that I normally try. I do have to back off occasionally.

Last edited by condor : 22nd January 2008 at 21:17.
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:43   #24
BHPian

Time for a different approach.

For a low profile car, with a decent headlight design(like designed not to blind oncoming traffic), it is practically impossible to get oncoming traffic to dip their headlights simply because it does not fall into their eyes.

So I have 2x100W + 2x80W + 2 fog lamps on all the time. And they are cheap Phillips "rally" bulbs, cost like 80rs or something each. And they are all used only to illuminate the road. It is never focussed to fall into the eyes of truckers. This set of lights is good enough to do 160 KMPH, safely(relatively, of course).

And I never dip unless I see the oncoming vehicle using low beams. Sometimes, for hours together on the highway, I never have to dip the lights!

In my opinion, if you have really good lights focussed on the road in front, oncoming lights irritate you a lot less.

Things become a lot more civilized after around 3 AM. Especially if there is light traffic. Under those ideal conditions, practically every trucker will dip lights, and the majority of drivers that remain on the road past that time are really good to each other...
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
At city speeds, I usually switch to high beams and drive head on towards them.
This works for sedans and few small cars. Some SUVs and trucks are immune to this treatment.
Disclaimer:This is done by professionals under safe conditions Do not try this.
nitrous, great minds think alike, i guess . I used to try the same thing even with my M800, and it worked most of the times. Quite a lot of times, I have had to stop the Sumo/Tavera cabs coming behind me with HI beam to tell them to dip their beam. I usually make a lot of wild gestures with my hands, and they usually get the idea. Once an Amby taxi driver just switched off his headlights when I did this to him . Maybe his low-beam was not working, just maybe.
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
If there's one thing that really really gets my goat about driving in Delhi, it's the people who incessantly use full beams at night even when it's not required. ....

Would love to get some creative input from members here on what one can do about it.
My creative input :

1. Carry a water balloon fiiled with black paint, and throw it on the windscreen of the culprit
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

'Creative inputs'

I am eagerly waiting for a practical 'creative input' as a solution to the high beam blinder issue.

Upgrading all head lights to 90/100 and above will not solve the issue, one day we will have all the drivers using 90/100 which is only going to create more mess and accidents on the road.

Wild gestures !! I am not sure how many drivers notice others' car itself in the night, forget fingers and anything else (what else you can stretch out of the glass while driving ?) !

Throwing things !! How many are capable of throwing even a small rubber ball to the opponent while both vehicles are in motion to the opposite directions ? That too without losing control of own car ! First of all you are blinded by the idiot coming towards you, secondly you are searching for your own track, thirdly you are throwing something (which has to be taken from your car kept only for this purpose) to the passing idiot who blinded you, you see the practical difficulty in the whole process !

Friends, come out with something 100% practical, lets find some relief in this issue which is been troubling everyone on the road ! Nothing comes to my mind right now !!
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:38   #28
BHPian

Sir, the best way to avoid the irritation is to have a set of driving lights that are aimed to the left side of the car, illuminating the kerb on one side ( left side ) and the median on the other ( right side ). When you get a blinding on coming light, you switch off your head lights and turn these lights on and concentrate on the left side of the road averting direct line of sight with the dazzling head light. I use this technique and it is quite effective.

Dealing with the anger caused by people being so inconsiderate that they dont care about your safety is a different issue altogether. For that you have to implement my second solution, avoid driving .
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:45   #29
BHPian

I am in Pune and high beam is rarely needed but Indica's are the most guilty, they seem to be always on high beam and dimming and dipping has no effect. Most cars strangely seem to prefer high beam even for normal driving.

Mumbai where I drive often seem to be more disciplined, use the dimmer and the opposite party usually dims too, much better than Pune. On narrow roads where I can't see I usually drive towards the high beam, this is of course not recommended and dangerous too but sometimes its so irritating.

And its dangerous especially in Pune with so many reckless two wheelers, roads dug up all the time and pedestrians jaywalking. Some drivers seem to get some vicarious thrill from blinding the opposite party. I have been thinking of getting Vision Plus but that barely solves the problem.

More awareness, maturity and sensitivity to others is needed but thats in short supply in India so no alternative but to put up with it.
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Some drivers dont even dim and dip during the night and the full beam on is such a menace that such people are just incorrigible.

While doing a dim and dip some people just stare @ you and that ticks me off to the core and when will those morons ever understand what for and why is it used for ?
Get a laser pointer light, aim the laser at the other vehicles windscreen, and hope u hit pay dirt just joking

Most Viewed