Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2008, 02:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Vasu - Best option for the NHC as advised by others is a tyre change but since that is out of the question now tell your brother to bear with it for now. And just for curiosity's sake, how many kms has the car done till now? If it's under 500kms, the tyres can still be exchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Spoilers give downforce but in speeds excess of 250kmph, so a spoiler on the NHC will do nothing other then giving asthetic value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
less than 250 for sure. it would be around 160-180kmph. that when the automatic spoilers in cars like porsches come up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
PS: The automatic spoiler on the Porsche deploys at 120kmph (75mph). Please get your info right before posting nonsense.
Guys, the speeds at which the spoiler becomes effective depends primarily on how it has been designed. In case of manufacturers like Porsche, BMW etc. they do proper wind tunnel tests before bolting on something to their cars & thus those devices are tuned for a purpose. Even reputed tuners abroad do not bolt-on spoilers without testing knowing useless or dangerous that can be. And as Vikram said, spoilers on the 911 range deploy automatically at 70-75mph.
Old 27th January 2008, 02:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spoilers are for asthetic and do nothing to road cars, period.
The ones available in the market are for aesthetic value but trust me there are a lot of good ones available which actually work. But the problem with them is that they are too big to be used on road cars.
Old 27th January 2008, 02:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
vikram_d - If a F1 car averages 150-160kmph(actually it averages around 190kmph) then it must be hitting top speed in excess of 300kmph and there is where the Spoiler plays a important part. Also the cars you are getting in picture(WRC, F1) are having spoilers, because they are made keeping in mind that they are going to be driven above at high speeds. Also they are wind tunnel tested.

F1 cars weigh very less and hence are dependant on aerodynamics, a F1 car bottoms out on little uneven surface, a NHC doesnot!

Spoilers are for asthetic and do nothing to road cars, period.
Nope... you are completely wrong. The spoilers are essentially there just for added downforce. If you are going on a straight line, you don't need much downforce at all. Infact if you see, faster circuits with long straights have a much lower downforce setup.

The spoiler mainly helps when cornering as thats when all the downforce is required. Its major benefit comes when turning around corners at really high speed. Infact if you drive an F1 car too slow, it won't be able to take a corner cleanly as there isn't enough downforce being developed by the car to get around it.

If you just want to go all out on a straight line, the spoiler is the lamest idea to put on a car as it'll infact act as a retardant. If you saw the bugatti episode on TG, you'd notice for the 407 km/hr run, the spoiler was out of sight and only came up again when braking down to lower speeds.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 27th January 2008 at 02:47.
Old 27th January 2008, 03:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Something for nothing? Not usually possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Thanks again. Better tyres not possible for 40-50K now. Consider my issues resolved (or not likely to be solved now). My brother is a sedate driver not likely to break any speed records and so he may not feel these problems much.
First and foremost, a set of quality tyres, Michelins. Suggest you reconsider. These would make a startling difference in the way the car handles.
Old 27th January 2008, 07:39   #20
BANNED

Mods : What this thread has to do in the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rship-reviews/ section ?

Can this thread be moved ?
Old 27th January 2008, 09:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
And just for curiosity's sake, how many kms has the car done till now? If it's under 500kms, the tyres can still be exchanged.
Thanks for that but my brother is not the type who will go through this.
Old 27th January 2008, 09:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Mods : What this thread has to do in the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rship-reviews/ section ?

Can this thread be moved ?
This is true. I wanted to post it in advice section but could not. I was in a hurry since today was a Sunday, a holiday, and my brother had time. This thread belongs somewhere else.

But thanks a lot. The advice here has saved me from giving bad advice to my brother, and my brother from wasting quite a bit of money for spoilers that won't make much of a difference. Tyres: If it was my car, I would have considered getting them changed, but my elder brother is different, and that option is out.
Old 27th January 2008, 10:59   #23
BHPian

Vasudeva, I have been driving a NHC since like 2 odd years. All a spoiler will do is add some weight on your rear end, depending on the type you go for. Its just for looks. But two differences, which I will state. My friend is running on Yoko's. The car does feel good I mean, atleast it grips well and the ride is a bit smoother. Cornering is a real treat on those yokos. Two, I have had chance to drive his car twice on express way, when he was on stock tyres and had a honda spoiler, the one for the city on his ride. It did feel more pressed down. The rear end didnt wobble around. The difference is really unoticeable. But, the steering response, makes you realise that may be the spoiler does work. Mind you, I was doing a steady 140. Which in my ZX, well the car does feel a bit here and there.
Old 27th January 2008, 11:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

My point entirely is a aftermarket spoiler will not work below 150kmph. A original Mugen spoiler for NHC wont be effective, but if the NHC would do 300kmph then it would be effective after 250kmph.

In other cars like F1, WRC a spoiler is part of the design and works accordingly.

@ ROC - What i meant is that when a car is cornering at high speeds, then the spoiler will be effective. Obvisouly the lesser the downforce and the slippier the car, the faster its gonna go. If a F1 car has no spoiler it will do 360kmph with ease.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks