Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2017, 12:15   #451
BHPian

re: Cellphone Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
If there is no other thread catering to the location of the mobile phone holder, can you please advise the best location to have the holder fixed?

Earlier I used to have it at the right side, but then a few times I observed that the unannounced right side two wheeler entrants go unnoticed.

Now I have fixed on the central windscreen, but somehow I feel that it is obstructing my vision.

Please help as to what is the best position to have the device fixed?
Try the AiirVent mount like https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 9th November 2017, 10:51   #452
Senior - BHPian

Need quick advise:

I am trying to decide between the Bull's Eye magnetic holder & the Zapp Dashmount magnetic holder

I like the Bull's eye's small form factor. Am worried whether it will hold the position I set up over the course of usage. Extremely favourable reviews (5 star from 119 out of 147 users)

Zaap seems good and is cheaper. Is also reusable. THe only negative is the form factor - looks a bit kludgy

Any opinions on either? Any usage based reviews.
Old 9th November 2017, 11:30   #453
BHPian

I have been using one from Zapp, but not the magnetic holder. Frankly, I wouldn't want to get anything magnetic near a SIM card / Memory card. The one that I am using affixes itself very well, even on pimpled surfaces, as found on my GT TSI dashboard. It has not fallen off in the 3 months that I have been using it.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 09:23   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I use the Aukey magnetic mount as below

Works great and I have it in both my cars and both mine and my wife's phones have the magnetic sticker attached.
Is there any impact of magnet on the GPS compass? Ideally there should be and that can impact the calibration of navigation and the phone's accelerometer
Old 29th November 2017, 17:09   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Is there any impact of magnet on the GPS compass? Ideally there should be and that can impact the calibration of navigation and the phone's accelerometer
Absolutely a magnet will affect your phone's compass. It will have no effect on GPS or accelerometer. Whether it affects the compass display in your navigation software or not will depend on how the software gets that information. Phones that have no compasses at all can still show NSEW on navigation display, but only when you are moving.

Your phone's compass is not likely to be very accurate in your car's steel-box body, proximity to engine, etc.

If anybody wanted seriously accurate readings from a phone compass, they would have to swing it, discover the deviation, and make a chart. I wonder if anyone ever did this for a car! Long-distance off-roaders, maybe?

Sorry about the useless photo, but the N pointer of the compass here is pointing South. In the bag is a hard-disk magnet

Cellphone Holder-compass.jpg

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th November 2017 at 17:21.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 19:15   #456
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If anybody wanted seriously accurate readings from a phone compass, they would have to swing it, discover the deviation, and make a chart.....
Funny you mention that.

I used to wear a compass watch (Timex?) and the instructions clearly said it needed to be calibrated at intended location/area of use for reliable readings.

The calibration process involved putting the thing on a flat surface away from objects with (electro)magnetic fields and rotating slowly TEN times and knowing/adjusting for declination angles, among other things!

I chuckle at every instance where someone is shown using a compass by just whipping one out of their pocket, I can only hope someone calibrated it for them beforehand
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 22:09   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I chuckle at every instance where someone is shown using a compass by just whipping one out of their pocket, I can only hope someone calibrated it for them beforehand
Most "pocket" compasses are just toys, but if it is a half-decent instrument, and there are no large pieces of magnetic metal around, it will be fine. Like, you know, the exact opposite of being in a car!

But when I have used a phone compass app, it has just been because I have got disoriented in some streets, and just want to know what direction to go in. Luckily, I didn't have the hard-disk magnet in my pocket

When I used to sail as a hobby, the deviation on the compass on those glass fibre or wooden boats was never enough to worry about when crossing fifty or a hundred miles of water. The compass was more accurate than my navigation anyway.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 13:40   #458
BHPian

A good car mobile holder for large phones?

Can anyone please suggest a good car mobile holder that can hold large phones without much problem? I basically want to be able to use Google Maps navigation on my phone without much distraction. My phone has a 5.7" screen and is relatively heavy, and I've tried a couple of holders that came off rather quickly.

Mods, please move this to an appropriate thread, if there's one.
meetgds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 13:42   #459
BHPian

Re: A good car mobile holder for large phones?

Thread already exists

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...holder-31.html
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 13:48   #460
Team-BHP Support

I use a capdase cell phone holder gifted by team bhpian Shuvc, it is quite good for my one plus 2.
Old 21st December 2017, 18:32   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
Can anyone please suggest a good car mobile holder that can hold large phones without much problem? I basically want to be able to use Google Maps navigation on my phone without much distraction. My phone has a 5.7" screen and is relatively heavy, and I've tried a couple of holders that came off rather quickly.

Mods, please move this to an appropriate thread, if there's one.
I use the Mountek cd tray mount for my LG v20. And that is a big phone

https://www.mountek.com/shop/categor...gift-packaging
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 20:22   #462
BHPian

Can anyone point me to the direction where I can get a good glass mounted cell phone holder? I had been using bergmann XL and was pretty satisfied with it. I am using iPhone 7+ with spigen case. Thanks much!

Last edited by Aditya : 15th August 2018 at 20:56. Reason: "Repost" not necessary - deleted
Old 1st August 2018, 21:43   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Can anyone let me know a good mobile phone mount for my creta/Innova. I had been using bergmann XL and was pretty happy till it started falling apart. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks!
I am using the Zaap Quick Touch One Premium 360 Adjustable 3-in-1 Car Mount Holder For All Smartphones (3rd Generation, Black) in my CRETA since Aug 2016. Was used with Samsung Note 5 and now with the Note 8.
I would highly recommend the same.
Old 1st August 2018, 22:41   #464
BHPian

Are there any recommendations for mobile phone holders for bikes...
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:40   #465
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Are there any recommendations for mobile phone holders for bikes...
The one and only RAM Mount, I've literally tried every other option available to the Indian biker census and I can say with confidence than anything other than a RAM Mount is a waste of money and this is knowing very well that a regular mount costs Rs.800 and a RAM Mount costs Rs.3800/-

Cellphone Holder-img_0628.jpg
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed