Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2008, 18:15   #1
BHPian

K&N OIL Filters

Hey guys
should have made this a long time ago.

I have a petrol swift

Firstly do i have to talk abut the superiority of the K&N oil filter as compared to purolator?
Well small tit-bits - - i recently saw "fresh stock" purolator oil filters for the swift and the IKON , both had RUST in them !!! you could smell the rust too.

Rs 100 VS rs 1000
double OE spec ie 550 psi burst strength
heavy duty construction [ stone damage etc ]
10-20 micron filter
improved flow rates
blah blah check it out on their website

many times in mumbai the oil filter has been out of stock , so i have run purolator for a couple of days before changing to K&N and trust me the difference is obvious

now initially i think 4 seasons fit the HP 1008 oil filter in my swift.
The last time the 1008 was leaking under high rev s right after the installation.

So they fit the 1002 which is supposedly for the esteem , it was slightly bigger and 5000 km later still no issues with it at all.
In the esteem the oil filter is mounted sideways , in the swift it is mounted vertically.

here is my problem
4 seasons and methods both lost their lists for the K&N oil filter replacement within days of each other

i have ordered the 1002 HP , since my valve adjustments definately have gone off . So i am waiting for it before i do my 20 000 km service [3000 km early for me ] in which they will re adjust my valve clearances amongst everything else.

Dont want to use the purolator at all.

I will find this out for myself but appreciate some help : any idea which K&N oil filter is meant for the swift AND any idea which model no purolator is meant for the swift petrol ??

If i have the purolator model number i can easily cross check with K&N as to which K&N oil filter it equates to.

thanks people , much appreciated.

Last edited by cyneverdie : 8th February 2008 at 18:16.
Old 8th February 2008, 18:34   #2
Awaiting Email Confirmation

the performance gold oil filter K33HP1002 is your spec
Old 8th February 2008, 22:27   #3
BHPian

sorry for hijacking this thread, but nitroxx, can you tell which filter do i need for the Opel Corsa 1.4Gsi ? Searched the K&N site but couldnt find it !
Old 8th February 2008, 23:18   #4

do a search for e-TEC X14 NE MPFi oil filter on google the second link is a pdf that has details on all types of cars with all filter codes and information

bosch makes filters for it heres the full sheet on different car specs and filter codes from bosch it should be there.

Last edited by nitroxx : 8th February 2008 at 23:21.
Old 9th February 2008, 04:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
the performance gold oil filter K33HP1002 is your spec

thank you man

did you find out via google?
if yes please tell me what you typed.
thanks again man
Old 9th February 2008, 10:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure that you should use any aftermarket oil filter, same was told by a friend working in one of the largest companies in the world.

Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The right filter: It is surprising how many counterfeit auto parts are on the market. Use only high-quality OEM oil filters, preferably bought from authorized service stations. You must change your oil filter with every oil change.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:06   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Am with BUSA on this one. I highly recommend OEM filters only, as they serve the purpose just as well.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

i dont think there is any need to spend those extra bucks on oil filter. its not that u require some free flow there. as it is oil is pure and only 10% oil is being circulated thru the oil filter at a time and even if the oil filter gets clogged it wont affect the system.
OEM oil filter are gud ones tested perfectly.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:23   #9
BANNED

Hi,

Just replaced the oil with OWS Fully Synthetic Racing Oil in My B16 alongwith a K&N Gold air filter. Must say the diff is immediately noticeable.

[img=http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2782/07022008xk1.th.jpg]

Sorry for the bad pic quality was taken in poor lighting from phone camera.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 9th February 2008 at 11:26.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Just replaced the oil with OWS Fully Synthetic Racing Oil in My B16 alongwith a K&N Gold air filter. Must say the diff is immediately noticeable.

[img=http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2782/07022008xk1.th.jpg]

Sorry for the bad pic quality was taken in poor lighting from phone camera.

Viper

Whats the cost of that 4 litre can? can alone the oil filter make the difference?
Old 9th February 2008, 14:33   #11

Busa whats the name of that well reputed company and that friend...we should take the initiative to make him realize why the word PERFORMANCE is used on the box of these filters..MAybe i'm wrong but I dunno, IT seems even NASCAR on that note would be DUMB to use them since each of their cars run on K&N performance...I'll make a few calls and ask them to stop using them.
Old 10th February 2008, 05:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post

Firstly do i have to talk abut the superiority of the K&N oil filter as compared to purolator?

Well small tit-bits - - i recently saw "fresh stock" purolator oil filters for the swift and the IKON , both had RUST in them !!! you could smell the rust too.
Rs 100 VS rs 1000
double OE spec ie 550 psi burst strength
heavy duty construction [ stone damage etc ]
10-20 micron filter
improved flow rates
blah blah check it out on their website

many times in mumbai the oil filter has been out of stock , so i have run purolator for a couple of days before changing to K&N and trust me the difference is obvious
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i dont think there is any need to spend those extra bucks on oil filter. its not that u require some free flow there. as it is oil is pure and only 10% oil is being circulated thru the oil filter at a time and even if the oil filter gets clogged it wont affect the system.
OEM oil filter are gud ones tested perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I am not sure that you should use any aftermarket oil filter, same was told by a friend working in one of the largest companies in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am with BUSA on this one. I highly recommend OEM filters only, as they serve the purpose just as well.

My god ! I cant believe this !
I am sorry but your wrong guys. Very wrong !
GTO you drive a merc right? so you chill with your OEM but MARUTI !!
BUSA get on it man .

EDIT: PS -
Originally Posted by GTO
Quote:
The right filter: It is surprising how many counterfeit auto parts are on the market. Use only high-quality OEM oil filters, preferably bought from authorized service stations. You must change your oil filter with every oil change.
All one needs to do is SMELL the insides of the K&N oil filter. You know thats factory built in the US of A . Ever smelt new computer or new audio hardware?
Smell a stock purolator oil filter too , your lucky if you dont smell rust .

PS 2 - In the older Mobil 1 synthetic oils , at least with maruti purolator filters , the inners of the stock filter could and has completly disentergrated leaving just a plastic shell !! Two separate well known mechanics have told me that and i have seen that myself on a friends done up esteem. Also have personally opened my used stock fuel filter [ purolator ] { with brawn and a hammer and a swiss army knife } and guys its a cheap joke . Running a temporary BOSCH fuel filter , i think its meant for the baleno and its twice as expensive .

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th February 2008 at 13:49. Reason: Quoting fixed
Old 10th February 2008, 05:25   #13
BHPian

PS 3 - Only the newer Mobil 1 s NOW say SAFE with stock oil filters .
Have you all ever read about Mobil 1 oil filters?? Very tight.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:17   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My god ! I cant believe this !
I am sorry but your wrong guys. Very wrong !
GTO you drive a merc right? so you chill with your OEM but MARUTI !!
BUSA get on it man .
Used OEM filters with Mobil 1 in my Maruti Esteem, Mahindra Classic and OHC Vtec. No worries.
Old 11th February 2008, 17:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

I dont get it.How does an oil filter change to K & N effect the performance of the car ?and how does he notice the change in the performance?If its because of mobil 1 agreed but how can a change in performance be noticed because of an oil filter?
And about the rust/dust or whatever in the puroltor.Go to a nice place and buy an OEM filter i ll be all cool.Have been doing that since 9 nd half years and 80 thousand km.Never smelt anythin other than 'NEW' in a purolator.
Agreed K & N is expensive and might have better filteration properties bla bla but its like 'when your car is happy with 89 octane fuel and u still feed her 97 octane she wont refuse but vitamin 'M' will go for a waste from your pocket'.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed