Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2008, 15:17   #1
BHPian

Regarding Hood Damping (Sound Proofing)?

Hi,

Can you guys please let me know if this is the right way to damp a hood, I have pasted Dynamat on all over hood including edges and corners.

Shall I remove the damping from edges? as I have not seen anyone covered whole hood.

Also where else should I paste Dynamat to avoid noise & vibration in cabin?

Thanks

Old 11th July 2008, 21:07   #2
BHPian

There are lot of threads on this subject. Many of them explains it with authenticity . Some of them even contains pictures , try it. And to ensure that no noise is in the cabin you should apply the material in those areas where you suspect is making noise. My advice is that you render the service of a damping expert. It will save your time and will yield better result too.
Old 11th July 2008, 21:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have you realised what you have done? Those various openings inside the hood are meant for circulation and dissipation of heat in the engine bay and by pasting Dynamat, you've blocked all of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Hi,

Can you guys please let me know if this is the right way to damp a hood, I have pasted Dynamat on all over hood including edges and corners.

Shall I remove the damping from edges? as I have not seen anyone covered whole hood.

Also where else should I paste Dynamat to avoid noise & vibration in cabin?

Thanks

Old 11th July 2008, 22:35   #4
BHPian

Hi Guruji,

Had he (ezee) known what it would have done to his car he would have never done, this seems to be the work of a sales hungry installer/garage owner.

Ezee who recommended the dynamat on the insides of the hood ?

cheers
M M
Old 12th July 2008, 00:40   #5
BHPian

Ezee,

What is the point of this? You seem to be just wasting a lot of money and time.

Dynamat is not meant for underhood insulation. I do not believe that it is meant to handle the high under hood temperature.

It is supposed to be installed in the passenger cabin. If you have such a severe need to reduce noise. Strip the interior of your vehicle. Remove all seats, carpet, dash, etc. Go crazy with dynamat on the inside of the cabin and front firewall. Cover all floor areas, roof, doors.

Personally, I think that Dynamat etc. is a waste of money. Just wear a pair of ear plugs if noise bothers you. Or get a nice pair of noise cancelling headphones for music.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dude.. that doesn't look right...

I am no dampening guru, but that will just cut a few vibrations from the bonnet and little else...

Perceptible sound/vibration inside the cabin wont be effected by that ...
Old 14th July 2008, 15:54   #7
BHPian

Dynamat Hoodliner, for under hood application please.

Underhood insulation by Dynamat comes in the form of a product called the 'HoodLiner'

It is certainly a different product from a typical Dynamat Extreme.

In addition to a thin butyl layer , it's contains a layer of tightly woven foam - that acts as heat insulation as well.

From the looks of the picture, am not certain that the Hoodliner has been used here.

Regular Dynamat is not recommended for under hood application though.

For some relief - Dynamat can be pulled out and re-applied as deemed fit. Hope this helps.
SRShrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2008, 16:28   #8
BHPian

1. I am not sure about heat resistance of dynamat for being used underhood, so cant comment on that.

2. Installation (assuming the product to be heat resistant) is entirely wrong, becuase under the hood, there is a special mating face to compress rubber seal , so that there is proper sealing and no metal to metal contact after closing the hood.

This installation has enitrely covered sealing face of metal, so you would be compressing the seal more, hence damaging it prematurely.

The underhood insulation is always done with-in the boudaries of seal contact faces+It should be heat 6 noise insulation material.

An improvised material could be the pad of galss fiber, covered with aluminium foil facing the engine side.
Old 14th July 2008, 17:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hi Guruji,

Had he (ezee) known what it would have done to his car he would have never done, this seems to be the work of a sales hungry installer/garage owner.

Ezee who recommended the dynamat on the insides of the hood ?

cheers
M M
Couldn't help but smile at this. A little knowledge is a dngerous thing.I'm sure this was not recommended by any sales hungry installer / garage owner. the installer would know where to put the stuff ,and the garage owner would know the consequences of doing such a thing. I guess it was our man who got overzealous in his endeavour to cut out N/V . I can almost bet he hasn't put a strip of this thing on his door panels !!
Old 18th July 2008, 02:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

i was just wondering after all this discussion, ezee, did the damping help reduce the sound?

and more over thats a petrol car so is damping the hood i mean getting a heat insulator material come damping one help in noise deadning? isnt the engine already silent by nature? gurus help here?

if you really want to do that there is such material available from wurth India.
the pad is like 5-7mm thick, is a little over a meter in length and all most half a meter in width costs like 1500-1700 at the dealer the last time i checked so get that instead mate!

the sales (head) manager here in Hyderabad claimed that this was used as OE for the Xtrail and wurth India supplies it to them. so it should be a par better thing to do than what you did.

hope you could reuse the xtreme you stuck in the hood.

and hope this helps.

Last edited by rider60 : 18th July 2008 at 02:37.
Old 18th July 2008, 12:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Can Dynamat take the kind of heat produced in an engine bay? Can it be a potential fire hazard?
Old 13th October 2014, 20:36   #12
BHPian

old fiesta (pre 2010 models) insulation material on underside of bonnet cover

I got the bonnet flap of my Fiesta 1.6 SXI ( 2006 ) replaced after a minor accident. If my memory is serving me right, there was a black insulating material on the under side of the bonnet flap. The service manager told me that it is not there for old fiesta models. I am posting the pic of the underside of the bonnet flap in my car. Can someone confirm the presence/absence of insulating material on the underside of bonnet cover, please?
Attached Thumbnails
Regarding Hood Damping (Sound Proofing)?-img_20141011_172726.jpg  

Old 13th October 2014, 20:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: old fiesta (pre 2010 models) insulation material on underside of bonnet cover

There is none in my March 2007 1.6 sxi, so don't worry. I'd mentioned about it in my long-term ownership thread too a couple of years ago. You can find a pic there also I suppose.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 21:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: old fiesta (pre 2010 models) insulation material on underside of bonnet cover

I've owned a bunch of Fiesta's, except for the later models. I don't think I've ever seen insulation material under the hood to be honest.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 06:56   #15
BHPian

I am relieved!! appreciate your quick turn around!! thank you Jeroen and vnabhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks