Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 01:08   #91
BHPian

Teasers of the design approach.

appreciate the interest sunindra ,I'm sorry I've not got much to show about the current progress of the car. I'm stuck in the northeast while the beedi loving mechanic is hopefully spending a few hours everyday stripping my car down and bending a few of those straight lines .

The actual design and moulding ill give out once the project comes to a stage where the only thing left is fabrication and painting and fittings . its still too early to know what issues i'll face .

what i can share is teasers about the inspiration im using in getting the Contessa into a new found glory . i hope it rekindles your interest in having something unique as well . Good luck with good old mum as well. we all cant do without them worrying about us !
HM Contessa Upgrade-06685e6731164ef4b7023dcdfac93f15.jpg

HM Contessa Upgrade-carbon-effect-rear-lamps.jpg

Name:  door trim.bmp
Views: 22571
Size:  414.0 KB

HM Contessa Upgrade-hood.jpg

HM Contessa Upgrade-nose.jpg

Name:  tail lamp - brake light.bmp
Views: 21589
Size:  196.4 KB
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2008, 02:33   #92
Senior - BHPian

the teasers are great, but please try and get the clear lens lamps for the car, and LEDs or the likes for the rear ones, they would really make the car look awesome and more appealing.

and about the engine part people please give out your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
well i was just wondering if the tavera's isuzu engine (which happens to be a rear wheel drive,) can be plonked in to the contessa? its 80ps@3900 Rpm, and i find it quite sufficient on the tavera, would this be too under powered, and what are the possibilities of fitting this engine?
Old 5th August 2008, 02:48   #93
BHPian

Some pictures I found on FLICKR - They are NOT my images.

As you all know Contessa had its roots from the Vauxhaull Victor.
Attached Thumbnails
HM Contessa Upgrade-8657084_43308654a5_b.jpg  

HM Contessa Upgrade-183726027_9bc08ccd19_o.jpg  

HM Contessa Upgrade-2023000985_1da8d60de3_b.jpg  

HM Contessa Upgrade-2249888343_eaaacb4549_b.jpg  

HM Contessa Upgrade-2250685982_1bbd3d6ace_b.jpg  

HM Contessa Upgrade-2290570505_4b05647fd8_b.jpg  

HM Contessa Upgrade-2489820871_63865040f8_b.jpg  

HM Contessa Upgrade-2557615081_2fed633d0a_b.jpg  

HM Contessa Upgrade-2704584338_316f6dfb54_b.jpg  

Old 5th August 2008, 03:11   #94
BHPian

Not planning to mix old with new though . not going for LED type lights anywhere on the car.

If i get something that will match the front,back and side in LED mode, then maybe would consider.Else sticking to one company , one shape and same finish either plastic framed or chromed out for all exterior light fittings, even if it means the body work needs changing to accommodate them.

Ive been looking at trucks and buses of late for some inspiration actually. Its amazing how all these Volvo buses have been changed by each travel operator with their paint jobs and what not , and even the lorries are different from state to state! . i kinda view the contessa to have a flat faced nose as well , so these combos on the flat lorries and buses should give me ideas on making the fog lamps and headlights setup seek attention. i'll post pics of these soon and get some thoughts
Old 5th August 2008, 06:38   #95
Ram
Senior - BHPian

5.7 litre V8 in a Contessa carrosserie

The Contessa engine bay was made to hold huge engines.
That is why it looks so empty in our humble desi Contessa.

From 1972 till 1976, the Vauxhall Victor FE Transcontinental had the same body as our Contessa.

The left hand drive German equivalent was the Opel Rekord, with whom the Victor shared its flooring and suspension, although the body design differed.

The base Victor model had a 1,759 cc engine.

The 1976 Vauxhall Victor VX 2300 GLS had a 2,279 cc 4-cylinder OHC engine breathing through a Zenith-Stromberg carb and developing 108 bhp @5000 rpm and 187 Nm @3000 rpm.

The double-headlamp Vauxhall Ventora with the same body had a 3,294 cc straight six-cylinder engine. This put out 124 bhp @4600 rpm and 236 Nm @2400 rpm.

HM Contessa Upgrade-vauxhallventora.jpg

A 1974 model Vauxhall Ventora was modified with a V-8 and rallied a lot back in those days.

HM Contessa Upgrade-ralliedv8ventora.jpg

This car was fitted with a massive race-tuned 5.7 litre V8 Holden (GM of Australia) engine.

HM Contessa Upgrade-v8inaventora.jpg

HM Contessa Upgrade-v8ventora1.jpg

HM Contessa Upgrade-v8ventora2.jpg

Ram
Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2008, 20:38   #96
BHPian

HM Contessa Upgrade

Btw, can you tell me where I can procure the 2.4 Isuzu Turbo engine along with the approximate cost?
Old 13th August 2008, 02:34   #97
BHPian

Absynth we are still waiting for some WIP pictures from you Please post some pictures and give us an idea of what-is-going-on.
Old 13th August 2008, 22:28   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senindra View Post
Absynth we are still waiting for some WIP pictures from you Please post some pictures and give us an idea of what-is-going-on.

September 1st/2nd week is the earliest i can envisage my return to Hyd from Arunachal. really appreciate your interests and i cant wait to go back and see a stripped down hammered contessa myself!.

Ive not given photos or next stage design and details to the workshop cause i want this work to be done under supervision.(apart from the fact that he'll end up making photocopies and keep it for future work on other customers,worse would be to complete theirs before mine is ,)

Apologies for the delay but i guarantee this ain't a muscle car or pimped up car in the making and will be different from most ideas that prop up for a contessa.
Old 19th August 2008, 14:00   #99
BHPian

Just an update on the conti WIP.I'm deeply sorry that havent got any pictures to inspire you since im stuck in North-East.

Mr Fixit has stripped the car down completely,all panels have been scrubbed to the T and only thing left is the bare bones.

Its time to decide on the body mods and needed your guidance on my first change.The side panels of the conti, apart from the thin streak or "dink" that runs along the panels,is very plain as can be seen below.
HM Contessa Upgrade-i451.jpg

now If not for drastic changes , i'd love to make this "dink" much more pronounced and give a clear definition to only design aspect along the sides. The following picture shows a car with a much more prominent side profile and would love to know if this is something that is difficult to replicate.
HM Contessa Upgrade-imagen2cu3.jpg

The two options im thinking of are
  1. Use a body panel expert to actually hammer out the "dink" in all panels.
  2. Use Bondo or any body filler to mould the dink along the outline. Just add body filler onto the existing shell and create the much more prominent look.This seems to be the easier option , but would body filler crack up?(not talking about an accident situation) i meant on daily wear n tear like vibrations and door slamming and stuff like that.
So anyone with experience on modding body panels or working with body filler as a mod could throw some light, i would be grateful.

Also do u think that in the 2nd picture , it is the paint color that is making the "dink" more prominent?

Once again, i thank the Bhp'ian who owns the conti on display and has taken a wonderful photograph. I apologize for not mentioning the name since its been a while since i saved the photo on my computer.
Old 19th August 2008, 14:44   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
  1. Use a body panel expert to actually hammer out the "dink" in all panels.

Hi Absynthguzzler if you are just considering making it prominent at its place and not changing the position of the line then I would suggest get a good body panel expert to do it, in India I am sure there are quite a few of them if you look in the correct places. It has to be very carefully done and needs a very neat job or else would be a mess. All the best
Old 19th August 2008, 15:53   #101
BHPian

How about a "V" shaped sheet metal strip welded along the line and then smoothened out ?

If this is the case,I'm thinking i can fill up the inside of the "v" shape with body filler and then it would not be prone to dents easily.Ill need advice on whats the best metal for this job. I could probably get aluminum off the shelf in the desired shape but what gauge would be advisable ?

Also should i give it a rounded feel or sharp edge to start out with and work my way around to which suits best?

God save the sweet mother of the holiest sinner from out of space thats helping me not to decide one one thing, cause he's pissing me off now.
Old 28th August 2008, 15:28   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
firstly i don't think u'l be able to source a logan diesel engine yet.

secondly.... a 1.5L diesel in a muscle car...... doesnt sound quite right!!

why dont u go for isuzu G1 turbo this motor is a direct fit to contesa. 10 y ago i had a contessa with isuzu B1 motor .
Old 29th August 2008, 11:16   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senindra View Post
Some pictures I found on FLICKR - They are NOT my images.

As you all know Contessa had its roots from the Vauxhaull Victor.
Indro, those are some super pics you have found! keep them coming. And make sure you get that V8 engine when u come down.

Last edited by the_trooper : 29th August 2008 at 11:17.
Old 1st September 2008, 13:35   #104
BHPian

Turbo Diesel Engine

"The Tavera's powertrain was selected based on Indian customer requirements and usage patterns in the MUV segment. The excellent fuel efficiency of the 2,500 cc four-cylinder diesel engine gives it a clear advantage over competing products. Although its numerical output of 80 horsepower/3,900 rpm and 18.9 KGM/1,800 rpm may seem modest, its ample low-end torque provides exceptional driveability with less gear shifting required. The engine is known internationally for its high levels of reliability and to reinforce this in the Indian market, an Industry First, Introductory Warranty offer on the Engine for 5 years or 150,000 kms which ever is earlier from date of sale is being offered to the customers.

The direct injection turbo diesel engine was designed and engineered by Isuzu, GM's Japanese partner and a global leader in diesel engine technology, and is manufactured in India. The engine has a proven track record in other Asian markets with similar climates and has been tested extensively in Indian operating conditions.

The Tavera's engine incorporates a new generation of turbocharger technology that eliminates the bothersome idle time required for traditional turbocharged engines during cold starts and hot shutdowns. It also features a belt-less cam drive for high reliability and low maintenance costs.

To ensure low emissions, the engine employs direct fuel injection supplemented by low-compression turbocharging. This potent induction combination produces not just cleaner exhaust, but also excellent fuel economy and healthy low-end torque for good driveability. Direct injection technology also ensures ease of starting in cold conditions. In extremely low temperatures, glow plugs operate automatically through input from the water temperature sensor. The engine has been calibrated to meet Bharat Stage II emission norms, surpassing current emission regulations."

courtesy : GM India Launches Much-Awaited Chevrolet Tavera
Old 1st September 2008, 16:39   #105
BANNED

Hey nice thread,

what ever you do a neatly modded contessa can give a Mustang run for its money.

There's nothing much to design apart from the front grille and the rear, rest all falls in place as it is.

This Contessa-Mustang plan was in my mind loonng lloooong ago but had to drop it since the required original Ford Mustang spares were 200% costlier to import than the new Contessa itself.

Since now the times have changed and lot of precision manufactured spares available in India the above dream would be practical and can come out neat.

Waiting for the progress on the ever loved Conti.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks