Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 19:11   #91
BHPian

re: Stiffening my ride's suspension

Got my alignment and steering column and entire underbody bolts et al at MAS and otherwise, but still cant find the problem. Now the MAS guys say that the only thing pending is the power steering hydraulics. This they do not work on and only replace.
Replacing is going to be a bomb but he told me that there is a shop in Karamana that opens up n fixes such things.
Now, do I go ahead or am I missing to check anything else???
Old 11th January 2012, 08:55   #92
BHPian

Guys, any updates!!!

im just thinking loud here but if the doors are a bit hanging, could it cause some stability issue while driving the car
Old 11th January 2012, 10:07   #93
BANNED

A cheap fix with be adding rubber donuts. These are being done happliy for the Civic [COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ension-19.html but the solution should work for any car with Coil Springs.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 11th January 2012, 11:21   #94

@ joe_mclaren - Increased body sway is a clear indication of weak shocks or struts. Not sure how much you have driven since the change, but if possible see if you notice any newly developing uneven tyre wear.

In a MacPherson setup, struts are coupled with the suspension geometry. Were the struts replaced as well? From what you have described, the strut assembly was certainly detached resulting in an alteration of the original suspension alignment. More so if the camber bolts and upper strut weren't positioned in its stock prefecture / settings.

Although suspension wear is pretty subjective, considering the mileage of your car, it's recommended to change the shocks and struts in pair. And I would also recommend you to revert to stock tires (if applicable) and get a “suspension bounce test” carried out. Last but not the least, wheel alignment.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:06   #95
BHPian

I only just changed the shocks and did check the alignment and it was all fine.
I have been regularly checking for uneven tyre wearout but it all looks fine.

Could changing the struts help??

Quote:
Originally Posted by somjith_nair View Post
@ joe_mclaren - Increased body sway is a clear indication of weak shocks or struts. Not sure how much you have driven since the change, but if possible see if you notice any newly developing uneven tyre wear.

In a MacPherson setup, struts are coupled with the suspension geometry. Were the struts replaced as well? From what you have described, the strut assembly was certainly detached resulting in an alteration of the original suspension alignment. More so if the camber bolts and upper strut weren't positioned in its stock prefecture / settings.

Although suspension wear is pretty subjective, considering the mileage of your car, it's recommended to change the shocks and struts in pair. And I would also recommend you to revert to stock tires (if applicable) and get a “suspension bounce test” carried out. Last but not the least, wheel alignment.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:51   #96
Senior - BHPian

what somjith_nair suggested is a possibility, get your struts checked for leaks. Marutis have a lot of spare steering columns lying around at their A S S ask them to fit one to try isolating the issue if it gets fixed then replace the column as repairing will not last for more than 2-3 months.

Pramod
Old 13th January 2012, 16:38   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_mclaren View Post
I only just changed the shocks and did check the alignment and it was all fine.
I have been regularly checking for uneven tyre wearout but it all looks fine.
Are you getting any vibration/ sound when driving on slightly uneven surface, like a rumble strip?

I do not think this issue has anything to do with Hydraulic system of the steering.
Old 13th January 2012, 16:53   #98
BHPian

I did get at times,before this swaying started, a steering vibration [at low speeds and while turning, which was clearly not from the wheels], which was what made me first check the steering column but the MAS and my local trusted, both checked and said that it was fine.
It was later after changing shocks on all 4 and changed my steering wheel from one custom to a lighter custom one that the whole damn swaying thing started.

but what do u mean by leak in the struts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Are you getting any vibration/ sound when driving on slightly uneven surface, like a rumble strip?

I do not think this issue has anything to do with Hydraulic system of the steering.
Old 13th January 2012, 23:31   #99
BHPian

Quote:
I did get at times,before this swaying started, a steering vibration [at low speeds and while turning, which was clearly not from the wheels], which was what made me first check the steering column but the MAS and my local trusted, both checked and said that it was fine.
It was later after changing shocks on all 4 and changed my steering wheel from one custom to a lighter custom one that the whole damn swaying thing started.
Lets eliminate possibilities one by one. I am no expert, but I have owned Esteem for some years.
1) You have done wheel alignment. Pick up the report and check the values against the permissible limits mentioned there. Many wheel alignment units just click a few buttons and get the money from you. They don't do much. Please look for Caster values on front left and right? Note that caster changes won't cause uneven tire wear.
2) Check Toe on the same report- Let us know the values

If these look okay, jack up each of the front tires. Hold the tire and try shaking it- look for any movement

Finally, do the wheel balancing, if not done.

Quote:
but what do u mean by leak in the struts?
He is talking about front coilovers/shocks. Since you changed them recently, they should be fine. Worth checking anyway
Old 23rd August 2012, 17:47   #100

Hey guys ! Need help with replacing struts on my 2003 SLXi LE Lancer. She's already past 100K on the odo. I had the overall suspension system checked and the good news is that the Coils are still good. But 3 of the four struts are wasted and the 4th one wouldn't last long either. Need help with identifying the struts that would work with the stock coils. I want to know if Peddlers/Koni can be used and also if they are easily available in Chennai. I don't mind my suspension being medium hard. Thanks for any help. Cheers !
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:47   #101
BHPian

U can check with Electra performance for pedders, they r located in chennai
http://http://www.pedders.com.au/storeFinder/53/store180

For konis get in touch with Methods automotive
Methods Car Parts and Car Accessories Online Shop and Distributors in Bangalore India, K&N Performance Filters, Sparco Motorsport Accessories
Old 24th August 2012, 18:42   #102

Hey spider77 ! I checked both shops and both only seem to have Koni. Mr Kamlesh at Electra says he doesn't have Pedders with him but promised to get me Koni's for 38K. Also called Methods to hear that I can lay my on hands on a Koni's set the day after I pay 37K in cash.

Prices appear to be covering coil spring costs too ! Any thoughts ?

My mind is still in flux... Should I go for Pedders OR Koni's.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:05   #103
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari - Suspension set up upgrade

I just missed a chance to own a Storme and landed up buying the earlier model of Tata Safari. Now after driving storme again and again i have started hating my Safari a lot.

Reasons-
1. Excessive body roll - safari is a boat
2. Steering mechanism - dead centre recirculating ball screw mechanism.

Storme has 5-Link Suspension with Coil Springs at the rear and McPhersons struts with coilover springs upfront.

The poor old safari has just the sturts upfront, which are lousy and soft and the same at the rear + the added softer springs.

I know that nothing can be done to the steering mechanism and it can never be a precise steering like the Storme's rack and pinion.

Has anyone tried stiffer struts on the safari, are they available or is there some garage than can modify the suspension setup confidently.

Tanveer - any pointers from you please.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:20   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari - Suspension set up upgrade

@Amit, while seeking options to improve the ride in my Sumo, I had asked my SA if there is anyway we can have the Safari's suspension (rear) on the Sumo. The answer was to Not meddle with it.

I guess the same would be applicable here. I would suggest not to change the basic setup, but look for options to improve the individual parts by using better components.

OT: is it possible for you to get help internally from the experts, may be on a personal / friendly basis ?
Old 8th July 2013, 13:29   #105
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari - Suspension set up upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Amit, while seeking options to improve the ride in my Sumo, I had asked my SA if there is anyway we can have the Safari's suspension (rear) on the Sumo. The answer was to Not meddle with it.

I guess the same would be applicable here. I would suggest not to change the basic setup, but look for options to improve the individual parts by using better components.

OT: is it possible for you to get help internally from the experts, may be on a personal / friendly basis ?
Well i am trying to find out internally for the specifications of the struts on the armoured Safari. Its a 4 ton vehicle and i am suspecting that the struts would be surely different / better on them.

Secondly can anyone confirm if suspension on 4X4 and 4X2 is different?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks