Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2008, 16:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Stiffening my ride's suspension

Hello chaps

This has been long pending and its time to get it done. Like the title reads I want all your valuable inputs on stiffening the suspension setup in my car. Let me get straight to my requirements without much of banter.

Why ?

1 - Off-late this strange problem has cropped up in my car and MUL hasn't been able to fix it. Like most of you know I have been running the S-drives (205/50/R15) and initially the wheel would only scrape the mud-flap under full load(5 people + luggage).

Since my previous service, I have noticed that the rear right wheel arch scrapes the tyre under full load.This never existed all this while.
Could the suspension have gone bust ? But MUL confirmed that the stock suspension is fine.

With my 195's spare set of tires I don't see this problem. I need the 205's to stay.

2 - I personally feel the suspension is too soft and yes since I do a lot of highway driving need a better suspension setup.

My options :

1 - Get a set of Koni's. (Expensive in India)
2 - Stiffen the existing stock suspension ( will have to go to you know whom )
3 - Try something like the hotbits or whatever( Autopsyche has used this a fellow bhp'ians Cedia , I fancy this idea).

What I am looking for ?

1 - Is it possible to alter the existing suspension ? If yes whats the pro's and con's ?
2 - Changing to Koni's is an expensive affair. Can I only change the rear set ?
3 - Will the hot bits work , if Yes whats the costs involved ?

Keep your suggestions pouring in and I would like to call upon all the wise men here to help me decide where my money should go.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 18th February 2008 at 16:05.
Old 18th February 2008, 16:14   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
What I am looking for ?

1 - Is it possible to alter the existing suspension ? If yes whats the pro's and con's ?
2 - Changing to Koni's is an expensive affair. Can I only change the rear set ?
3 - Will the hot bits work , if Yes whats the costs involved ?

Keep your suggestions pouring in and I would like to call upon all the wise men here to help me decide where my money should go.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Riju,

I would suggest the following options to you :

1> Stiffen existing shocks for a better ride and install Pedders Springs(shocks approx 10-15k for 4 +approx 15k for 4 springs) Contact Psycho for this.

2> Install Coil overs. I would recommend the D2 Racing as they are far superior, offer higher levels of damping and flexibility and are way cheaper than the HotBits in India.(D2 -Rs59k + install & HotBits Rs73k + install)

With the coilovers you get great flexibility and can be setup the way you want your ride to be.

I hope I have been of some help.

Viper
Old 18th February 2008, 16:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Jignesh thanks for that quickie response.

Option 2 suggested is out . I cant afford to blow that kinda money now.

Quote:
1> Stiffen existing shocks for a better ride and install Pedders Springs(shocks approx 10-15k for 4 +approx 15k for 4 springs)
So ideally the Peddar springs would be sitting on my stock setup ?

Jignesh can you elaborate on how the stock suspension is modified. I was told the Baleno's suspension is gas filled so how does this work ?
Pardon my ignorance with this mate, I am trying to play it safe. Simple reason is that I want this car to stay with me for long.

Also please note I don't want to lower my ride's height in anyways. Am pretty satisfied with the current GC and height.
Old 18th February 2008, 16:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why not contact Farooq of FRK racing? Recently he had done suspension stiffening to Lohithroa's Honda city( He said 5,000Rs). FRK racing is in Mahadevpura -Whitefield road , Just after whitefield honda
Old 18th February 2008, 17:10   #5
BHPian

Could someone tell me what is the cost of a re-do for suspension (stock) for an opel astra?
And also what parts are to be changed as i dont know much about suspension.

Am not all gung-ho about it as the my most travelled routes dont have many bad roads but if its not too much then i might as well go in for it as the suspension has become pretty stiff. (Good for handling but i prefer comfort)
Old 18th February 2008, 20:00   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Most people stiffen suspensions by changing the oil with used gear box oil amongst other jugaad. Now, be assured that this will last only a few thousand kms and then will go kaput. I know friends who got their suspension stiffened, ran for about 7,000 or more kms, gave their cars to showroom and thought the company had changed the suspension back to stock. So be doubly sure on what you do to your suspension. Best option is to stick to peddar's or koni's IMO.
Old 18th February 2008, 20:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So be doubly sure on what you do to your suspension.
Rahul I know and thats the reason I wanna be really careful with this. Appreciate your input !!

I don't wanna sell her anytime soon and intend to keep the car for atleast a few more years.

So work done for me should be perfect and if its gonna cost a few extra bucks I don't mind spending it as long as the work is neat and trouble free.
Old 18th February 2008, 20:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most people stiffen suspensions by changing the oil with used gear box oil amongst other jugaad. Now, be assured that this will last only a few thousand kms and then will go kaput. I know friends who got their suspension stiffened, ran for about 7,000 or more kms, gave their cars to showroom and thought the company had changed the suspension back to stock. So be doubly sure on what you do to your suspension. Best option is to stick to peddar's or koni's IMO.
Yes I agree and have seen quite a few instances of no damping or rebound being called a great suspension setup and know of enough people in Shivajinagar who would do it for under 3k and yes it does not last. PS: Modded suspensions do tend to give you the life lesser than the stock ones as they are used as the donors.

So it does not mean company suspensions can not be redone, but it also does not mean that they are crap either, it depends on how it is done.
Old 18th February 2008, 20:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Your options, in increasing order of cost:

1. Psycho for reworked suspension. There are quite a few testimonials to his work on our forum. Adjustability will be pretty much zero. Cost factor - approx 15k including install.

2. Koni struts + Eibach/Pedders/King springs. You must match the springs to the struts, and match them both to your requirements. Adjustments are limited to damping, not ride height. Cost factor - approx 50k without install.

3. Coilovers - I'd prefer D2 over HotBits for the price factor. Adjustable for damping, as well as ride height. Your single disadvantage, barring cost, will be that you better be sure what spring rates etc you want, because they are imported on order. Price factor - approx 60k without install.
Old 18th February 2008, 22:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well, if your major concern is the wheel scraping the arches, why not just roll the fenders and quarter panels in a little bit and they will stop scraping? Problem solved for a nanofraction cost of other options!

As far as stiffening the suspension is concerned for ride quality, if youre not into the budget for a coilover or konis... just visit psycho for the stiffened springs and custom built dampers. Whatelse would ya need
Old 19th February 2008, 00:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Well, if your major concern is the wheel scraping the arches, why not just roll the fenders and quarter panels in a little bit and they will stop scraping? Problem solved for a nanofraction cost of other options!
I did give that a thought , but then decided against it.

Arush thanks man, sure will work out what I need 1st and then pay the man a visit .I hope he has time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
1. Psycho for reworked suspension. There are quite a few testimonials to his work on our forum. Adjustability will be pretty much zero. Cost factor - approx 15k including install.
Akshay care to explain what is exactly done .Psycho maybe you could pitch in let know what kinda work is involved.

Could be some of the dumbest questions being asked here, so adjust maadi for now.Thanks in advance once again.
Old 19th February 2008, 18:44   #12
BHPian

Why not use Koni struts with stock springs? You should get the externally adjustable ones so that you can tune it to your taste.

Riju, please do let me know when u r getting this done, as I would like to see the install.
Old 19th February 2008, 20:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mohit I am still in the planning stages for this. Sure will keep you informed.
Old 19th February 2008, 23:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Akshay care to explain what is exactly done .Psycho maybe you could pitch in let know what kinda work is involved.
Baba, I have absolutely no idea. I know that it is reworked in some way, but I'm a big zero with suspension. Though I've seen it lasting some pretty heavy abuse for thousands of km, including some at my own hands.
Old 22nd February 2008, 19:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Am using Pedders Comfort Gas struts with Pedders Heavy Duty coil springs. For the Lancer, the struts cost~24k and the springs ~13-14k. Should be similar for the Baleno.
I'm extremely happy with the combo. Ride's a little stiffer (expected) though not uncomfortable. And the handling is lip smacking - ask some of the Kolkata BHPians!
Have never used the other products, so cannot comment. But would suggest you give the Pedders a thought.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks