Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2008, 00:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Query Regarding Headers!!!

Recently i was at a Silencer/Exaust repair shop where i overheard a conversation between the shop owner and a customer,The shop keeper was explaining that having a fat Header as in The diameter of the Pipes being big,Helps in Performance as compared to a Header Who has normal sized Pipes.

Is that True??? Viper/mclaren Please answer this question.I am curious to know about it!!! By pipes i dont mean the intermediate pipes which run from the headers to the Endcan,The pipes in the Header itself.
Old 21st February 2008, 00:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

In all probability you wil suffer with low-end driveability.You making the exhaust less restrictive there by reducing backpressure.It should give a nice kick in the higher part o your rev-band provided the lengths etc are caculated right.
Old 21st February 2008, 01:37   #3
BHPian

Ok here is another query on headers. I recently met up with my good friend and owner of a well known car mod shop in Bangalore, and he told me headers can burn out the engines valves when used for prolonged periods. In short he was telling me headers are useful only for drag racers and such motorsportsmen cars....not for daily use purpose.
Is it so???
Old 21st February 2008, 01:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

With too much back pressure(read:restrictive header)you will bust your rings,..with too little .. umm ..
Old 21st February 2008, 01:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Ok here is another query on headers. I recently met up with my good friend and owner of a well known car mod shop in Bangalore, and he told me headers can burn out the engines valves when used for prolonged periods. In short he was telling me headers are useful only for drag racers and such motorsportsmen cars....not for daily use purpose.
Is it so???
Lol, no.

Who is this friend? Would love to know!
Old 21st February 2008, 01:55   #6
BHPian

Subair....Owns a shop in Hennur...Pretty big one too. He is a pretty experienced campaigner i guess....So are you saying that headers do not reduce the engine life at all in the long run?
Old 21st February 2008, 02:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

No they don't reduce the engine life at all.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st February 2008 at 02:51. Reason: Last warning - Please do not use methods to bypass the 20character limit, as per the recently updated TBHP rules
Old 21st February 2008, 03:04   #8

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well one of the guys at a M.A.S.S mentioned that headers can have a negative effect on the valve stem seat..and the guy is pretty experenced as well,tunes a lot of rally cars.
Old 21st February 2008, 14:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
well one of the guys at a M.A.S.S mentioned that headers can have a negative effect on the valve stem seat..and the guy is pretty experenced as well,tunes a lot of rally cars.
Well well...talk about mixed reviews! I too do think so, that headers might have a negetive effect, maybe it depends on the installation too...wat say vi3pr?
Old 21st February 2008, 14:14   #10
BHPian

Good thread, was waiting for it. Would like to know the effect of headers from the Gurus. Also, is it possible to install headers without removing catcon? I am planning headers but don't want to remove catcon. Can we fix the catcon anywhere else than the manifold?
Old 21st February 2008, 14:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well, ok, if you install totally crap headers, yes, your engine could actually blow up. But then, if you go to some horrible quack instead of a real doctor, you could die. So if you get your headers done by someone good, then no, they are perfectly safe.
Old 21st February 2008, 14:33   #12
BHPian

yeah kinda trivial eh ? But on the whole , its risky business for the average road goer...and a must for the dragsters out there...right?
Old 21st February 2008, 16:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

What about the size of the headers fact????? anybody answer that!!!
Old 21st February 2008, 20:33   #14
BHPian

zubair u mean hot...some thing

well the guy is experenced alright but only in ruining good cars thats all i can say
Old 22nd February 2008, 01:06   #15

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Well, ok, if you install totally crap headers, yes, your engine could actually blow up. But then, if you go to some horrible quack instead of a real doctor, you could die. So if you get your headers done by someone good, then no, they are perfectly safe.
And how do you know who is good and who decides which "headers" manufacturer is good?Because you wont get to know unless you have spent some time with the car.Also,the damage to the engine we are talking about is noticeable only after a long period of time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks