Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 20:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Muffler tip for SX4

I am suiting my SX4 with the MGA body kit tomorrow (that is 26th Feb) and I was curious which muffler tip will look good on it. Also, where can I find one in NCR region?

I visited Elegant at Lajpat and they have around 4-5 types of muffer tips priced from 400 to 1200 bucks. But those were around half a feet long or less, and still does not manage to stick out as I wanted it to be. I am looking out for this only for aesthetic point of view, so modification of the exhaust pipe/system is out of question!

My question for you,
* How long these mufflers are expected to last?
* Will the chrome get rusted/smoked?
* Will there be any difference in the noise/peformance of the engine?
* Can I find a much longer muffler, say a feet? And where? Any particular shops?

Will post the aftermath pics of my car soon cheers:. Many Thanks

Last edited by iTNerd : 25th February 2008 at 20:33.
Old 25th February 2008, 21:18   #2
BHPian

* Will there be any difference in the noise/peformance of the engine?

Dude its just a muffler tip,as you said you wanted aesthetics I am afraid it"ll just do that.The performance is not going to change a bit.I haven't seen muffler tips longer than half a feet.
Old 25th February 2008, 21:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
* How long these mufflers are expected to last?
* Will the chrome get rusted/smoked?
Throwing my two cents in, out of experience.

For Qs 1&2, it depends on the quality of the component. Sooner or later, it is bound to rust/fade. However, with adequate maintenance you can manage to keep it shining for a longer period of time. I fitted my esteem with a chrome exhaust trim of the Ford Ikon and the entire thing costed my 1000 bucks two years back. With decent care, it is still shining though not as much as it did when it was fitted originally.
Old 25th February 2008, 23:15   #4

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Try Automarc near def col flyover.You may find the tip you are looking for.A friend of mine recently got the same exhaust tip as the ohc vtec for his Sx4 from Automarc,ANd got the bodykit from autmarc as well for 11k with paint.
Old 25th February 2008, 23:35   #5
BHPian

How long it lasts depends on quality of material and how its maintained. Some of the tips have a perforated baffle which affect the exhaust sound but the baffle tends to burn away in a couple of months.
Old 25th February 2008, 23:45   #6
TDR

Can't help you with the location to buy one in India, since I'm from abroad.

I once had an exhaust tip fitted to a VW Golf MKII, I once owned. It was
made out of chromed brass. It stayed good looking for the five years
I owned the car. That included 5 winters with frost, snow and salt pickled
roads.

It wasn't cheap, though.

TDR
Old 26th February 2008, 12:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

There is a MGA muffler tip.It looks pretty ok to me.Why would you want a muffler tip a feet long.If you are that keen go for an end can.This would enhance looks as well as your presence.If the end can you procure is a stainless steel one then rusting is out of question too.
ram
Old 27th February 2008, 01:35   #8

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I reckon you want a longer tip because the exhaust pipe is visible...am i right?
If you are getting a bodykit for the sx4,you dont need to worry,since after the bodykit,only 5-6inches of the exhaust pipe is visible which can get easily covered by any tip that you like.
Was looking at my friends SX4 today and you cannot see the exhaust pipe
Old 27th February 2008, 10:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
I reckon you want a longer tip because the exhaust pipe is visible...am i right?
If you are getting a bodykit for the sx4,you dont need to worry,since after the bodykit,only 5-6inches of the exhaust pipe is visible which can get easily covered by any tip that you like.
Was looking at my friends SX4 today and you cannot see the exhaust pipe
Thanks hellspawn for Auto Marc tip! I went there yesterday and the guy showed me his own SX4 fitted with the local body kit and muffler. But I was kind of disappointed at the quality of the kit. I can see various cracks and small patholes and the paint job was poorly done as well. He said he had the kit for 6 months around. I was quoted Rs. 12.5 K for the kit minus the rear spoiler. So, I had decided to go with the MGA ABS kit finally. I got a contrasting quote of 30K (ROHAN), 25K (RANA) and 19.5K (VIPUL) including paint from three different dealers. So, decided on VIPUL of course .

And your guess is right, I want a longer tip so that it is visible. I saw this exhaust pipe that AutoMarc guy have on his SX4. it stick out 2-2.5 inches out of the rear skirt and it looks damn good. Weighing around 1.2-1.5 kg, he quoted a price of 2500 and needs to be welded.

Last edited by iTNerd : 27th February 2008 at 10:51.
Old 27th February 2008, 12:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

The new mga kit has been priced too attractively and i believe the cost would be 21000.But this doesnt include painting.This is the information from MSIL.Check the price inclusive of painting before going for it.I would strongly recomend the kit and its of good quality too.
ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks