Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2011, 22:05   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Price for 3M sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I'm planning to get CR70 installed on the front windshield from Bomanahalli 3M showroom this weekend. Before taking the plunge, just wanted to check how does this film affect the GPS reception?
Hmm, that's an interesting question you bring up.

Around two months back I was using the GPS in my iPhone when we were driving down from Bharatpur to Delhi in a friend's car. That car had some film on the side and back windows but none on the front windshield. The GPS worked flawlessly.

Today I tried using the GPS in my car as I was driving to an unknown location for the first time, and the GPS just wouldn't update my location as the car was moving.

I don't know if the issue is because of sun film. I think not, but film on the front windscreen is one major difference as far as the path of the signal from satellite to phone is concerned.

Just one data point, and it could even be a false negative, but this is interesting nonetheless.

Perhaps I should try today's route in another car as an additional check.

Regards,
spadix
Old 1st April 2011, 10:50   #242
Senior - BHPian

spadix, which film do you have on front windshield? and others?
Old 1st April 2011, 11:14   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
spadix, which film do you have on front windshield? and others?
I've got CR70 on the front windshield (and RE35 on the sides and back).

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem with cellphone signal reception, so yesterday's GPS brain-fade was probably a one-off.

Regards,
spadix
Old 1st April 2011, 12:26   #244
Senior - BHPian

CR70 is supposed to not block any signals, however I believe RE films being metallic can cause problems. I don't think cell phone reception would be affected (noticeably), but GPS is likely to be. Would you mind checking GPS signal strength outside the car and then inside (may be on dash near front glass, and also in the back seat) and share your observations?
Old 1st April 2011, 14:54   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CR70 is supposed to not block any signals, however I believe RE films being metallic can cause problems. I don't think cell phone reception would be affected (noticeably), but GPS is likely to be. Would you mind checking GPS signal strength outside the car and then inside (may be on dash near front glass, and also in the back seat) and share your observations?
I can do that.

Is there a more scientific way of measuring GPS signal strength than timing how long it takes to get a fix? It's just a phone with a built-in GPS and nothing fancy, so there are no in-built tools to measure GPS signal strength (unless there's an app I don't know of which does that -- let me El Goog).

Regards,
spadix
Old 3rd April 2011, 13:21   #246
BHPian

Is there any offer floating here for t-bhpians by 3M blr (HSR outlet)? Called up sidhu and he told there is but i cant find it anywhere.
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:47   #247

Quote:
Guys, does 3M watermark mention model name of the film? Tried to search the net for pictures, but the one that I found showed only "3M" written in dot-matrix style. Garware watermarks that I came across had both company logo as well as model of the film.

How can I be sure that CR70/CR50 is being installed, and not RE, for example?
I recently installed CR70 for the front windscreen. The installer showed me the 3M watermark which was in dot matrix style like you mention. However after installation this watermark was right infront of me at eye level and hence was distracting while driving. For the heck of it i tried scratching it with my finger nail and was surprised that it came off easily. This make me wonder if films with such a watermark are actually genuine because it could easily have been imprinted by anyone. Does everyone else also have a similar watermark and what do you guys think?

The installer also mentioned and showed that the CR70 when wet(while applying) shows a reddish tinge which no other film displays.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:30   #248
Senior - BHPian

I have installed CR70 too, the big logo right in front of driver is indeed bothersome. Based on your experience will try to remove it. BTW, my film had developed a bubble for which I will be getting a replacement.
Old 4th April 2011, 00:17   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Is there any offer floating here for t-bhpians by 3M blr (HSR outlet)? Called up sidhu and he told there is but i cant find it anywhere.
I am planning to visit the showroom tommorrow to get one of the bubbles in my car checked. Will ask about this.
Old 4th April 2011, 00:46   #250
BHPian

Only offer running at 3M as of now is 5% off on
Films and 10% off on detailing

Got CR70 on my ANHC yesterday
Old 4th April 2011, 09:28   #251
Senior - BHPian

Enquired for the prices of CR70 (Front Windshield) and CR50 (sides & rear) at Shri Balaji Agencies, Teynampet for my Chevy Beat. Rs. 4000 (approx.) for Front and Rs. 11000 for rest. Is that ok ? I have decided to go for these films only because of TSR, UVR and VLT values. Now question is that how much can I haggle.
Old 4th April 2011, 15:44   #252
Senior - BHPian

Anyone have any knowledge on SunGard films ? They are priced pretty well and have really good specs. Also, film quality (hand feel, clarity) is nice. Did a little bit of research online and it seems OK, not much info to be found other than the fact that it is a US brand.
Old 4th April 2011, 22:26   #253
Senior - BHPian

Whoops, posted this in the wrong thread. Mods please delete the posts if necessary as I am reposting my query in the Sun film thread.
Old 4th April 2011, 23:30   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^
Thanks for the info. Do all three offer noticeable heat reduction? And how is the execution at Natraj? I indeed live at Chromepet. I don't mind taking the car to a good shop inside the city as well.

Will there be any diffusion of light at night?
Hi Gansan,
I got 3M CR70 last week for my Vista windshield @ Privelege Moto Mall - just opposite to YMCA Nandanam. Installation was indeed done by 3M authorized installers from Balaji agencies and they did a pretty decent job..!!

Noticeable difference while driving at Mid-day which I do regularly..(my work starts around 1300 IST) - no more burning sensation on hands or bit drowsy feeling due to heat..Would recommend to go for it..

Cheers
Balaji
Old 5th April 2011, 08:30   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamfall View Post
I recently installed CR70 for the front windscreen. The installer showed me the 3M watermark which was in dot matrix style like you mention. However after installation this watermark was right infront of me at eye level and hence was distracting while driving. For the heck of it i tried scratching it with my finger nail and was surprised that it came off easily. This make me wonder if films with such a watermark are actually genuine because it could easily have been imprinted by anyone. Does everyone else also have a similar watermark and what do you guys think?

The installer also mentioned and showed that the CR70 when wet(while applying) shows a reddish tinge which no other film displays.
Regarding watermark - will try to see if it can be removed. Weird though, shouldnt happen in the first place.

Regarding CR70 - I did notice the same thing when installing CR70 for my car.

Quote:
I have installed CR70 too, the big logo right in front of driver is indeed bothersome. Based on your experience will try to remove it. BTW, my film had developed a bubble for which I will be getting a replacement.
Will try it too on RE first. Dont want to take any chances on CR. Do share your results here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Only offer running at 3M as of now is 5% off on
Films and 10% off on detailing

Got CR70 on my ANHC yesterday
I was there sunday noon. What time you came?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Enquired for the prices of CR70 (Front Windshield) and CR50 (sides & rear) at Shri Balaji Agencies, Teynampet for my Chevy Beat. Rs. 4000 (approx.) for Front and Rs. 11000 for rest. Is that ok ? I have decided to go for these films only because of TSR, UVR and VLT values. Now question is that how much can I haggle.
Hang on - CR70 costs 6790 (for front only)
RE50 costs 4k (for sides and rear only). Got it installed this sunday from an authorised 3m outlet. Total should be 10790 (including installation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbalaji View Post
Noticeable difference while driving at Mid-day which I do regularly..(my work starts around 1300 IST) - no more burning sensation on hands or bit drowsy feeling due to heat..Would recommend to go for it..

Cheers
Balaji
I agree with you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks