Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2010, 14:10   #121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Hey Akshay, thanks a lot for the guidance! If I read you correctly, you're saying CR is worth it only for the front, and it's better to stick with RE50 for both the sides and back.

I think that should really bring the price down. The CR definitely looks good feature-wise (including that 5-year warranty) but I guess one can't have it all.

The only question I have then is whether the metal content in the RE films interferes with cell phone reception (for those not driving, of course).
Ive been using RE35 on various cars for over 4 years and I really havent had an issue with cell phone use.

CR is priced quite a bit higher, there is no need for the rear because cops dont bother about that. If you have a darker film on your front windscreen its much more likely for them to catch you.
Old 26th October 2010, 15:37   #122
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody help me with 3M sunfilm installation for my Esteem in Pune? Should I contact the maruti service center (Sai Service) here for the same? I checked the 3M website, and am interested in the CR70 on the front and back and CR50 for the sides.

As true as it sounds, I am a newbie to this :(

Last edited by _raVan_ : 26th October 2010 at 15:39.
Old 4th November 2010, 10:57   #123
Senior - BHPian

For my ANHC frond windscreen i got 3M CR 70 from EVO bangalore installed, Got it for 6k including installation.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:34   #124
Senior - BHPian

Finally I got CR70 on the front windshield and RE35 for the door windows and rear windshield done today for my Civic.

Place: Car Jewel, Minister's Road, Secunderabad (3M distributor for Andhra Pradesh)
Price: 6k INR for the CR70, 5.2k INR for the RE35 - total of 11.2k INR

The initial quote was 11.5k INR. I'm not very good at bargaining, so I could get only 300 off.

Indian deCars (Banjara Hills) quoted INR 4k for RE35 (sides and back) over phone. I'm a little bit surprised at the price differential. I still ended up getting it done at the 3M authorized place for peace of mind.

It's another matter that they managed to get a scratch on the left front door film. They've owned up to the error and have agreed to replace it for free if it doesn't "mend" itself a little bit after a couple of days' exposure to sunlight.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th January 2011, 12:39   #125
SAS
BHPian

Re: Price for 3M sunfilm?

Quote:
Finally I got CR70 on the front windshield and RE35 for the door windows and rear windshield done today for my Civic.

Place: Car Jewel, Minister's Road, Secunderabad (3M distributor for Andhra Pradesh)

The initial quote was 11.5k INR. I'm not very good at bargaining, so I could get only 300 off.

Indian deCars (Banjara Hills) quoted INR 4k for RE35 (sides and back) over phone. I'm a little bit surprised at the price differential. I still ended up getting it done at the 3M authorized place for peace of mind.

It's another matter that they managed to get a scratch on the left front door film. They've owned up to the error and have agreed to replace it for free if it doesn't "mend" itself a little bit after a couple of days' exposure to sunlight.

Regards,
spadix
How shall a scratch ever mend itself? The only thing which mends itself after sunfilm installation is small bubbles which tend to disappear after a few days. But I've never heard of scratches disappear. Do keep us updated on what finally happens. Thanks..
Old 9th January 2011, 12:45   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
How shall a scratch ever mend itself? The only thing which mends itself after sunfilm installation is small bubbles which tend to disappear after a few days. But I've never heard of scratches disappear. Do keep us updated on what finally happens. Thanks..
Sorry I should have been clearer.

I think it is a scratch.

The shop/installer think it's a bubble (an extremely narrow crease) that sunlight should cure, while also admitting to the possibility that it could be a scratch (either way, their mistake). Hence their request to me to give it some time.

Yeah - will post the resolution (one way or the other) to this thread.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th January 2011, 12:57   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
spadix
Congrats ! Good choice. This is the exact combination I have on my Civic as well (CR70 on the front and RE35 on the sides and rear) and I paid 11.3k in total. By the way, did you ask them to cover both the front quarter glasses as well? I insisted on getting that done.
Old 9th January 2011, 13:29   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Congrats ! Good choice. This is the exact combination I have on my Civic as well (CR70 on the front and RE35 on the sides and rear) and I paid 11.3k in total. By the way, did you ask them to cover both the front quarter glasses as well? I insisted on getting that done.
Thanks, rr_zen! My wife (who was the one who always wanted tints for security) was pleased as punch after looking at the finished product. I consider that - having blown 11.2k away - as a huge win!

Yes the installer did those quarter panels up too.

In fact he took a lot of pride in it, saying that "anyone can tint up the larger glasses" and doing these hard-to-work quarter panels is "the real work" .

Forgot to mention this in my previous post, but for those who're interested, the un-negotiated price for CR70 (front + back) and CR40 (all sides) is 16k INR! Personally I think the premium's not worth it so we didn't even think twice about rejecting that option.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th January 2011, 14:57   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, rr_zen! My wife (who was the one who always wanted tints for security) was pleased as punch after looking at the finished product. I consider that - having blown 11.2k away - as a huge win!

In fact he took a lot of pride in it, saying that "anyone can tint up the larger glasses" and doing these hard-to-work quarter panels is "the real work" .

Forgot to mention this in my previous post, but for those who're interested, the un-negotiated price for CR70 (front + back) and CR40 (all sides) is 16k INR! Personally I think the premium's not worth it so we didn't even think twice about rejecting that option.

Regards,
spadix
Looks like the RE35 on sides and back and CR70 on the front is the most popular combination.
Old 9th January 2011, 18:12   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree with the installer 100%. The first time he did it for my uncle's Innova upon my request is when I realized the difficulty involved in it. For my Civic, he did the right quarter glass twice as I was not happy with the installation the first time.
Old 22nd January 2011, 14:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I should have been clearer.

I think it is a scratch.

The shop/installer think it's a bubble (an extremely narrow crease) that sunlight should cure, while also admitting to the possibility that it could be a scratch (either way, their mistake). Hence their request to me to give it some time.

Yeah - will post the resolution (one way or the other) to this thread.
As it turned out, it was a tear/scratch. 10 days of burning hot sun couldn't "repair" it they way they said it would. In addition to that, the film on the driver's side window started peeling off in one corner. In fact it peeled off the 2nd or 3rd day after installation.

Last weekend was a Sankranti holiday so I went back to Car Jewel today and they replaced both films for free no questions asked . Well technically they asked one question - which was if I had rolled up/down the windows immediately after installation. I replied in the negative (I didn't touch the power window buttons for 2 days).

So this time they actually stripped off the door pads and performed a more thorough job, instead of applying the replacement film in the usual manner (without removing the door pads).

At the premises unfortunately I was unable to point out the few strips of blurriness on the CR70 (front windshield) but the owner said it's alright if I come back later with some markings to identify the areas.

I'm seriously impressed. Great job, Car Jewel!

Regards,
spadix
Old 25th January 2011, 17:58   #132
BHPian

Hi,

This is my first post on tbhp. I recently got 3M RE35 installed on the sides and back of my new Manza QJD Aura+ (Gothic Olive).

Place: Sri Balaji Agencies, Seethammal Colony , Teynampet Chennai (3M distributor), On the same day, Balaji Agency people mentioned that they got one more customer because of tbhp.
Price: Rs 4K

Also got the 3M underchasis painting with 5 years warranty and the interior panel protection done for Rs 5K. They also removed the dry wipe scratches/marks on various place in my car, free of cost. These marks were courtesy of the good folks at TAFE Reach Pallikaranai. TAFE Reach's Worth's folks at their mount road show room couldnt help remove the scratches and SBA did a great job.

Thanks to tbhp that helped a great deal in chosing the film and the place of installation apart from the car itself.
Old 25th January 2011, 19:55   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Quote:
As it turned out, it was a tear/scratch. 10 days of burning hot sun couldn't "repair" it they way they said it would.
I had a 6" long tear or scratch mark on the windshield (Huper Optic Klar70) that magically vanished last week after I started parking it under shaded tree (part sunlight). It was installed about 8 weeks back in November.

I was tempted to call the dealer and ask for replacement many a times, but having read on the web that it can take 2 to 3 months for sunfilm to settle, I played the waiting game. I wanted to give the dealer a fair chance, after all it is an expensive sunfilm.

The itch is now gone with the scratch.

Cheers

HTH

Last edited by Ragul : 25th January 2011 at 19:56.
Old 25th January 2011, 20:32   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So this time they actually stripped off the door pads and performed a more thorough job, instead of applying the replacement film in the usual manner (without removing the door pads).

For all my cars thus far (including the Civic), the door pads are removed and the glass taken to a dust-free location (my study room) for the installation.
Old 25th January 2011, 20:32   #135
Senior - BHPian

I got the CS35 for the Jazz since I wanted some lighter shades. Happy with it.

I will getting the CR70 for the front next week. What are the other options? How is Huper Optic?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks