Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 11:56   #196
BHPian

Re: Price for 3M sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Hi Raghu, there are many shops that can do it.

I got it done at Car Jewel on Ministers Road. These guys are the authorized distributors for 3M in Andhra Pradesh. While their customer service is great, the quality of work wasn't the best in my case at least. It necessitated two follow-up visits to rectify issues (replacement film for free, to their credit). Even after that I wouldn't say I'm 100% satisfied.
Regards,
spadix
Thanks Spadix. Let me check with my dealer on what he quotes, would be going down to the dealer this weekend.

I would prefer to finish it in the first attempt rather than having to go again and again.

Also does the sunfilm on the rear have to be 2 or 3 pieces? I remember the guy who did my alto mentioned that it cannot be a single piece, but noticed quite a few cars did not find multiple joins.

Regards
Raghu
Old 15th March 2011, 13:15   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The watermark only says 3M like you saw on the net.

CR 70 will have a light grey/grey tinge while RE will have a greenish tinge. You can also check the roll from which the film is removed, if its in a box it will have the film model no on it.
Also, CR70 is a thicker film than RE35. RE35 is more metallic in appearance and CR70 is not. Hope this helps.
Old 15th March 2011, 15:39   #198
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Akshay and rr_zen for the clues on how to differentiate CR films! Shall keep that in mind.
Old 15th March 2011, 17:59   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Also does the sunfilm on the rear have to be 2 or 3 pieces? I remember the guy who did my alto mentioned that it cannot be a single piece
Nothing of that sort. You'll get a single piece for the rear windscreen.

Regards,
spadix
Old 15th March 2011, 18:12   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Also does the sunfilm on the rear have to be 2 or 3 pieces? I remember the guy who did my alto mentioned that it cannot be a single piece, but noticed quite a few cars did not find multiple joins.
Hi,

It all depends on the installer actually. A good installer will first use a heat gun to soften and shape the film first and then stick it on the inside. This way you get a clean 1 piece film installed rather than 2-3 strips
Old 15th March 2011, 22:34   #201
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hi,

It all depends on the installer actually. A good installer will first use a heat gun to soften and shape the film first and then stick it on the inside. This way you get a clean 1 piece film installed rather than 2-3 strips
Very true. I have seen earlier installations in other cars but the meticulousness at the 3M shop was amazing. Previously installers had difficulty to fix one piece of film on the rear windshield. So they would do in twos or threes. Contrast that to installing a single piece on the front windshield. Front windshield is the biggest piece of glass in most cars. The ease with which they fixed a big piece of film on the front windshield of my car has to be seen to be believed.

Last edited by dot : 15th March 2011 at 22:38.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:29   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Very true. I have seen earlier installations in other cars but the meticulousness at the 3M shop was amazing. Previously installers had difficulty to fix one piece of film on the rear windshield. So they would do in twos or threes. Contrast that to installing a single piece on the front windshield. Front windshield is the biggest piece of glass in most cars. The ease with which they fixed a big piece of film on the front windshield of my car has to be seen to be believed.
I guess this has evolved over a period of time. To give you an example, when 3M film was installed on my Esteem more than 7 years ago, the installer from 3M had the film for the rear windshield into three pieces and aligned each of them to the lines of the de-mister. However, the same installer used only a single piece of film for the front and rear windshields when he did it for my Civic a year ago. This was accomplished with extensive usage of a heater.
Old 17th March 2011, 17:30   #203
BHPian

I want to get sunfilm for sides and rear of my Fiesta. Thinking of 3M CR40 or RE-35 or Vkool 40 or H50. What would be the approximate price in Hyd for this?
Old 17th March 2011, 17:57   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
I want to get sunfilm for sides and rear of my Fiesta. Thinking of 3M CR40 or RE-35 or Vkool 40 or H50. What would be the approximate price in Hyd for this?
CR40 all around will be super expensive and I think is also overkill. The largest glass area is the front windshield and CR is good there (you may have seen that on my car).

RE35 for sides and back should be good. I got those for 5.2k INR at Car Jewel. mobike008 got the same (RE35 sides + back) for his Cruze for 4k INR at Indian deCars. IdC quoted 4k for my car as well. So 4k tops is what I think.

Regards,
spadix
Old 17th March 2011, 18:00   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah, dont pay a rupee over four grand for RE-35. But, its the reflecting type and is not a black tint.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:21   #206
BHPian

According to the 3M India site, RE-35 has better TSER values as opposed to CS-35, hence thought of it. And RE/CS-50 are reportedly very transparent.
Attached Images

Last edited by Neilguy : 17th March 2011 at 19:26.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:26   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to the 3M India site, RE-35 has better TSER values as opposed to CS-35, hence thought of it. And RE/CS-50 are reportedly very transparent.
Yes, both RE and CS 50 are practically as good as not having any film if you care about privacy/transparency.

I have a feeling the metallic/silvery reflective finish of the RE *might* not look that good on your blue Fiesta. CR is great but is very expensive. I think it'll be around 8k (maximum) for sides + back.

Perhaps V-Kool has something that's equivalent to RE in TSER but has a more regular look?

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th March 2011, 13:05   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Perhaps V-Kool has something that's equivalent to RE in TSER but has a more regular look?
V-Kool rejection is higher than RE-35. Its around 63% but, just a marginal increase in TSER is not worth extra 3 grand.

Neil, Dont get the front windscreen done. Try first with side and rear windscreen and only if your still uncomfortable with front, then get it done.
Old 18th March 2011, 16:16   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
V-Kool rejection is higher than RE-35. Its around 63% but, just a marginal increase in TSER is not worth extra 3 grand.
I asked today at the VKool shop in Somajiguda. The quoted me Rs. 6990/- for K35 sunfilm for the sides and rear. Apart from being too expensive, I felt it was quite (metallic) reflective too. Will go to the Car Jewel or Car Decors on Saturday.

Quote:
Neil, Dont get the front windscreen done. Try first with side and rear windscreen and only if your still uncomfortable with front, then get it done.
I want it more to stop people from peeking inside, rather than cooling. I'm very happy with the cooling part as it is, and as Ravs rightly pointed out it's already slightly tinted. And the Fiesta ac is a quick chiller at any time of the summer day.

Last edited by Neilguy : 18th March 2011 at 16:20.
Old 18th March 2011, 18:14   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any reason why (apart from cost)?

From a surface area standpoint, with the highly raked front and rear windscreens and minimal side windows that we have on modern sedans I think it makes a lot of sense to actually get the front windscreen tinted rather than the sides + back only.

The added advantage is that there'll be much less colour fade on the dash plastics because the film cuts down UV considerably.

Quote:
I asked today at the VKool shop in Somajiguda. The quoted me Rs. 6990/- for K35 sunfilm for the sides and rear. Apart from being too expensive, I felt it was quite (metallic) reflective too. Will go to the Car Jewel or Car Decors on Saturday.
Avoid Car Jewel. Their customer service is very good but I had to go there twice after the initial visit to sort out installation issues .

I should've gone to Indian deCars when they said 4k instead of thinking "that's too good to be true" .

Quote:
I want it more to stop people from peeking inside, rather than cooling. I'm very happy with the cooling part as it is, and as Ravs rightly pointed out it's already slightly tinted. And the Fiesta ac is a quick chiller at any time of the summer day.
From the point of view people peeping inside, front windshield film (70% VLT) will be far better than the default tint that's there on the windshield already.

The difference after installation with the Civic's AC - a real beast of an AC if you ask me - is that for any given temperature the blower's at least 1 (2 in some situations) speed(s) slower in Auto mode. Besides, you never get that prickly heat feeling on your hands when driving into the sun.

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks