Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 13:40   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
i saw an ad for a similar thing o TV. Cant trust whatt they sell, its usually junk so have not bought it. Am still tempted to though. They claim its like a transparent silicone based filer which fills the scratch (even deep ones) and manages to match the colour (that ive got to see to believe). So if someone has bought and used this highlighter looking thingy, please post a report so others may or may not buy the product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8 View Post
I came across this ad on TV too. Its called 'Scratch out Pro'. A very interesting highlighter like pen. Quite impressive and weird how it soo easily removes the scratches, even the deeper ones. I know it may not be 100% true but how does this work? If someone has tried it already, please enlighten us.

It was being provided free with Dent King for around INR 2499. If its effective, i might place an order. Also considering the ever increasing popularity of the Gali cricket matches beside my poor car.
Tried fix it pro. Useless

Or i might be sold a replica.

Suggest read online reviews before placing order.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:25   #47
BHPian

Re: Car Scratch Remover

I just used the Formula One Scratch out which I ordered from ebay.I had searched for a similar item in Big Bazaar,Mumbai. But unfortunately the ones available in Big Bazaar arre 100% fake.

Well after using the product I feel the scratches have been lightened just a bit.The marks however donot go.May be just like someone hs written its just the dirt particles which get displaced on applying this compound.Good product to hide some minor scratches.

By the way I would like to rub off some deep scratches in which I can see the metal exposed.Need to know how can I rub them out?I have heard emery papers to the bit.If yes where do I get them?On other hand do rubbing compounds help?

Last edited by hellboy999 : 18th March 2011 at 20:08. Reason: New text to be added
Old 24th March 2011, 16:10   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy999 View Post
I just used the Formula One Scratch out which I ordered from ebay.I had searched for a similar item in Big Bazaar,Mumbai. But unfortunately the ones available in Big Bazaar arre 100% fake.

Well after using the product I feel the scratches have been lightened just a bit.The marks however donot go.May be just like someone hs written its just the dirt particles which get displaced on applying this compound.Good product to hide some minor scratches.
All the scratch removers are some sort of abrasive compound which will remove surface scratches. You can see the scratch because of irregularity on the paint as the light strikes the surface. These type of scratches which you can see but cannot feel can be removed by the scratch removers. It essentially removes microscopic amount of the clear coat and levels the paint so you cannot see the scratch any more. Then you can polish it to a shine.

But scratches which you can feel lightly by running your hand over them cannot be completely removed by scratch removers, they can only lighten them at best. For removing such scratches you will need use a rotary /DA polisher with a high abrasive paint correcting compound e.g M105. And then use a final polish for getting back the shine.

For scratches which have gouged into the paint you have to paint over them. Apply several coats over a few days so that it stands out a little from the surface. Use very little paint to cover only the scratch and then build up a few layers after each layer dries. And then use a 2500/3000 grit sand paper to level the paint over the scratch. It will mar the paint around the scratch which you will have to polish with a compound which can get rid of 2500 grit sanding marks. You should have good results. For DIY efforts try on smaller scratches. Leave the big scratches for the body shop.

You must get the paint code for your car and get a small can of paint. For metallic paints it is tricky. The best is to ask the workshop to give you some. You may have to wait a little till they do paint work on a car the same color as yours. For solid colors you can pick it up from a auto paint shop. The easiest to match are black and white.

Quote:
By the way I would like to rub off some deep scratches in which I can see the metal exposed.Need to know how can I rub them out?I have heard emery papers to the bit.If yes where do I get them?On other hand do rubbing compounds help?
You can never rub them out. This is a body shop job - they will repaint the entire panel. If DIY the best you can do is to first use primer on the exposed metal and then use paint over the scratch. It will be visible but at least you prevent rust formation.

Rgds

Last edited by Garipagol : 24th March 2011 at 16:13. Reason: Typo
Old 25th March 2011, 17:38   #49
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I had a few scratches on the Quarter Panel area on the left front side, these scratches were my fault, I tried Formula One Scratch Out, Turtle Wax (which I know isnt a scratch remover), then I came across this thing at a petrol bunk in Koramangala, Bangalore,

This guy was offering a bunch of this e.g. Windshield cleaning fluid, a compound to remove scratches, a spray for dashboard cleaning, and a body wash shampoo and a wax, the entire thing was for 475.

Never heard of this brand before (EuroSmart), but when he actually demoed the scratch remover, I was really happy to see many of those minor scratches disappear. I got it and came back home to clear the rest of the scratches on the Quarter panel and it did work to an extent, now the scratches are not much visible.

Here are the pics of before and after
Attached Thumbnails
Car Scratch Remover-img_0456.jpg  

Car Scratch Remover-img_0457.jpg  

gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 18:24   #50
BHPian

Hey gearbox, nice to see the faint scratches have almost gone.But sad to see the major ones being still there.The brand that you have mentioned is very unheard off in my opinion.I guess the scratch remover would be a light rubbing compound which has just removed a layer or two of the colour paint.Anyways I still have decided to do a DIY paint job on my bumper and let you know the results.
Old 26th March 2011, 12:53   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Hey gearbox, nice to see the faint scratches have almost gone.But sad to see the major ones being still there.The brand that you have mentioned is very unheard off in my opinion.I guess the scratch remover would be a light rubbing compound which has just removed a layer or two of the colour paint.Anyways I still have decided to do a DIY paint job on my bumper and let you know the results.
Hey Hellboy,

Looking forward to see the results of your DIY, will definitely help if you share the steps you take once your DIY is done and I am sure Successful.
Old 27th March 2011, 00:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

This euro thing is widely available in Delhi at HP petrol pumps. Been using the kit for about 5 years now. Does a reasonably good job over minor scratches.
Old 27th March 2011, 11:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

I obtained a TurtleWax scratch remover kit in my last trip abroad. It contained a pen-like thingie that is supposed to help apply the liquid directly to the scratch, 4 sand papers pads of different grades, one paint restoration solution and one lubricant solution. I tried using this on my car which had some scratches on the boot door and bonnet. Not only did the scratches remained, I was terribly disappointed to see that the sand paper caused the entire area looks very dull and out of sync with rest of the painted surface. Finally had to use liberal doses of Meguiars UC and a lot of muscle power to address it. Would never recommend these "one stop" kits.

Last edited by vasoo : 27th March 2011 at 11:17.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:55   #54
BHPian

Hello fellas,

I have a couple of deep scratches on my i10.Attaching the pics.Please post your valuable suggestions about repairing them as I dont want to go in for a complete panel repaint due to the cost factor.Thanks

Car Scratch Remover-dscn0295.jpg

Car Scratch Remover-dscn0297.jpg
Old 15th April 2011, 15:15   #55
BHPian

Hello,

I didnt get any responses with the above scratches.So decided to go ahead with the com-paint value pack which I ordered online for Rs.400.

Today I decided to try it on the pictured on the pictured scratches.

Steps followed:
1. Wipe the area clean with water
2. Spray some com-merge solution to clean the area further(I observed the clear coat getting dissolved and coming out as soon as i cleaned the surface with a cloth) Nevertheless I went ahead with the paint
3. Now the colour that I ordered was champagne gold.I dont know but as soon as i sprayed it from a distance I got a complete mismatch.Out of panic as to how odd it would look I reapplied com-merge and removed the paint.
4. Next I decided to apply the same paint using a normal paint brush.I sprayed the paint on a news paper and then painted the scratches with light strokes.This time the colour seem to match better.The paint dries pretty soon.
5. Next the pack says to spray com-merge again so that the paint gets dissolved and gets a factory paint finish.However this didnt happen and I had to redo the entire paint since spraying com-merge just spread the paint over a large area and didnt help much.
6. I have decided to wait til tomorrow after which I would post some pics of the paint job.
7. The further steps would be to sand down the area again lightly and cover it up with a good polish containing some amount of wax.
Old 15th April 2011, 18:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

^Those scratches look really deep. Proper repaint might have been a better option. Post pics of the com-paint job though
Old 16th April 2011, 15:23   #57
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
I bought one of these from one of the petrol pumps. I have used them, but all it seems to do is that it removes the carbon particles from the scratches thus making it gel with the colour of the body. It doesnt remove scratches, just the dirt which makes it very obvious.
Very true. That is the magic behind it.
Old 28th October 2011, 22:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I was returning home at 8 pm and heard a loud thud near the front left wheel. Got down and saw that some morons had left two huge stones on the middle of the road which they had probably kept for signalling the breakdown of their vehicle. These fools had left the stones on the road after the repair. I could not notice these stones due to poor visibility and light shower. The result : Deep scratches on the lower part. These are the first scratches on my Diamond Black i20 and I feel like bashing those jerks who left the stones on the road.

Car Scratch Remover-100_1080.jpg

Car Scratch Remover-100_1084.jpg

I need some kind suggestions for this:
1. Should I take it to H.A.S.S?
2. Can it be fixed by me using some scratch removers or any other methods?

Thanks.
Old 28th October 2011, 23:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

I need some kind suggestions for this:
1. Should I take it to H.A.S.S?
2. Can it be fixed by me using some scratch removers or any other methods?

Thanks.
@ guyfrmblr - really sorry to hear this incident. it is indeed frustrating

It cannot be fixed by using scratch remover, since the paint has peeled off. You may need to take this to HASS. There are two options there

a) Brush touch up, which will cost you couple of 100s. (300 max)
b) Bumper respray around 5000, (if you opt for insurance you would pay around 1500 from pocket)

Brush finish is cheap but you would see lines similar to your ceiling in your house. Since the part you have portrayed is not where the eye easily meets, brush touch up will do good. It will be evident that some touch up has been done. You will not get that smooth finish

If you are sentimental about the car and maintain it in Tip-Top knick, and have the money to spend, I would suggest a repaint.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 28th October 2011 at 23:41.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 08:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my cleaner has left some scratches on my car. Its a white punto. I am thinking of buying Formula1 Scratch Out. I know the scratches wont totally disappear but wont it become lighter atleast?

What is the ideal way to apply the liquid compound? Any precautions or disadvantages? Will the paint fade if I apply it with too much force? I dont have any wax or polish with me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks