Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 09:16   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
i think there is no difference between carbon fibre sheet and cloth,when u get the roll of carbon fibre its cloth like.you can spread it on the mould and apply the requisite resin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Thanks Mustang!

Anyone has done an installation on their dashes and trims in Bangalore? Appreciate if someone can give some pointers to a guy or guys who can do this. Thanks in advance!
carbon fiber cloth is a raw material to be used for production of parts, where as CF sheets are already prepared cloths ready to go, they have adhesive backing which can be contoured in any shape and pasted. In bangalore evo has installed couple of mautos CF SHEETS, if you want to coat your interiors with CF you can send the parts to Mauto , they will coat and send you back but takes a week time. The cost will work out half of these sheets and looks better.
Attached Thumbnails
Carbon Fibre Sheets / Self Adhesive Sheets / Stickers-dsc00270.jpg  

Last edited by west : 10th June 2009 at 09:22.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:21   #92
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
carbon fiber cloth is a raw material to be used for production of parts, where as CF sheets are already prepared cloths ready to go, they have adhesive backing which can be contoured in any shape and pasted.
So, essentially cloth are CF sheets without adhesive backing?

If I just acquire cloth, how difficult it is to convert them into sheets and who can do it?

Last edited by JVH : 10th June 2009 at 09:22.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:26   #93
BHPian

Quote:
So, essentially cloth are CF sheets without adhesive backing?

If I just acquire cloth, how difficult it is to convert them into sheets and who can do it?
we are looking next to putting a composite manufacturing unit making CF parts is very hard, and also cf cloth is expensive, and you dont get raw materials in small quantities, unless.. you order a ton of every thing I believe..
Old 10th June 2009, 09:30   #94
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
we are looking next to putting a composite manufacturing unit making CF parts is very hard, and also cf cloth is expensive, and you dont get raw materials in small quantities, unless.. you order a ton of every thing I believe..
Actually, a friend is returning from Swiss and he's got hold of 36" x 36" CF cloth. So, just wanted to check the feasibility of the next steps here

By the way, he quoted 40 Swiss Francs, that's about 35 USD approx.

So, it's better to get CF sheets right?

Edit - @West, I got ur PM, thanks!

Last edited by JVH : 10th June 2009 at 09:38.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:39   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, a friend is returning from Swiss and he's got hold of 36" x 36" CF cloth. So, just wanted to check the feasibility of the next steps here

By the way, he quoted 40 Swiss Francs, that's about 35 USD approx.

So, it's better to get CF sheets right?
I think to make CF sheet you need to use atleast 3 layers of cloth, so for 1 sq ft sheet you need 3 sqft cloth. It would work out that 600 rs /sq you need just cloth, where as coating will cost you around 1000 rs/ sqft finished
Old 10th June 2009, 12:40   #96
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Thanks west!

I'll contact my local mechanic and seat accessories guy and see if he has any experience in working with the sheets. Accordingly, I'll decide whether to source or not to from Switzerland.

If not, Hyderabad is the only option
Old 10th June 2009, 16:33   #97
BHPian

My carbon lookalikes!

I sourced this from Chennai GP road Chennai. Pasted it on my rear licence plate trims and some on the dash and doors! I painted a coat of clear over it to stop it from fading away gradually!
Old 10th June 2009, 16:46   #98
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_shanz View Post
I sourced this from Chennai GP road Chennai. Pasted it on my rear licence plate trims and some on the dash and doors! I painted a coat of clear over it to stop it from fading away gradually!
Please post the pictures.

Cost? Who did the installation and finishing?
Old 10th June 2009, 16:57   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Please post the pictures.

Cost? Who did the installation and finishing?
Forgot to upload image! anyway here it is.

Installation did by myself, clear coated from a local garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Carbon Fibre Sheets / Self Adhesive Sheets / Stickers-22032009180.jpg  

Last edited by k_shanz : 10th June 2009 at 16:58. Reason: addition
Old 10th June 2009, 17:20   #100
Senior - BHPian

why would you want to make real carbon fibre look like those fake carbon fibre look vinyls ??? the matte look would have been more authentic !
Old 10th June 2009, 18:16   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
why would you want to make real carbon fibre look like those fake carbon fibre look vinyls ??? the matte look would have been more authentic !
Quote:
adding to green horn ,, it wont last long,from chipping if airlock is gone. sticker doesnt do good with clear.
Old 10th June 2009, 18:24   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
i think there is no difference between carbon fibre sheet and cloth,when u get the roll of carbon fibre its cloth like.you can spread it on the mould and apply the requisite resin.
While it is similar to glass fibre, there's a lot more to it. Else, I'd be running CF bonnet, boot and rear doors in my car.
Old 10th June 2009, 20:17   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
While it is similar to glass fibre, there's a lot more to it. Else, I'd be running CF bonnet, boot and rear doors in my car.
yes, rightly said nitrous, glass fiber is a heavy material and takes lot of resin inside, so it can hold to surface, CF is something very different when it touches resin, it simply doesnt stay on the surface, very hard to keep on the surface resulting in lot of air bubbles. .and ofcourse sanding the surface is entirely a different story. You need to work your A.. of to get it to mirror finish... LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS .....AND .... OF WORK
Old 10th June 2009, 23:38   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I had matte finish hood, i peeled of the sticker just 2 days back! The looks is Authentic but they are very prone to scratches!
Old 11th June 2009, 10:26   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I had matte finish hood, i peeled of the sticker just 2 days back! The looks is Authentic but they are very prone to scratches!
How much did the CF look-alike cost you? Any contact info to get the same from Chennai?

Most Viewed