Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2006, 11:47   #1

Battery consumption due to security system

Hi,
I have a WagonR Vxi fitted with a Nippon (MGA) Security system.

My concern is if you park the car at a place for an extended period of time and someone meddles around so as to trigger the burglar alarm, will that mean the battery getting drained off due to the tooting of the alarm incessantly ?
Or is it designed in such a way that, the toot would stop after some time so as not to drain the battery ?
Alternatively, can someone tell me if there is way to disconnect/deactivate the security system by way of a switch in such a scenario where I can't get near the car ?

Also I see a small switch just below the bonnet edge on the right hand side below the bonnet near the groove any idea what is it for ?

Thanks for any inputs.

- Shreyas
Old 5th October 2006, 12:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi... to answer question 1...

Once the alarm is acitvated due to the body sensor, the alarm works for 3 mins, only after which it switches off.... please note that the security system will still be active.....

FYI, the security system arms itself 30 secs after locking the car doors...

i have no info on your question 2 sorry...

But if you want to disable the body sensor put the key in the ignition and turn it 5 times in succession between off and stereo position.... the body sensor will deactivate... and to reactivate it repeat the same steps.... the activation and deactivation will be confirmed by lights flashing and / or alarm chirps.... however i havent tried this... the nippon service guy explained this to me...

hope this helps...
Old 5th October 2006, 13:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paish
Also I see a small switch just below the bonnet edge on the right hand side below the bonnet near the groove any idea what is it for ?
I guess its the switch that activates the alarm for the bonnet. Try pressing that switch and activate the alarm and then depress it, The alarm should tigger.
Old 5th October 2006, 13:44   #4
BHPian

The switch under the bonnet is for the securtiy system.
If someone tries to steal your car what they do is they first deactivate the alarm system from the battery.
To do so they have to open the bonnet and which itself triggers the alarm.
Old 6th October 2006, 11:01   #5

Thanks a lot all of you for the inputs. Those inputs gave me pointers to a switch from which I can now deactivate the burglar alarm.

The switch is located just to the right side of the steering, along with a small red light. If I keep the switch pressed for about 6-8 seconds, the light comes on, indicating that the system has deactivated. To reactivate, the switch is again kept pressed for the same amount of time, after which the normal toot of the alarm is heard for a second.

Hope this helps others too.

Thanks - Shreyas
Old 28th March 2007, 20:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys need some help here.

As you might know, my Esteem Limited edition (2002 model) came with Nippon Car security system.

The remote unit (2 nos.) were replaced in 2004 end (not too sure about the year) as the LED indicator (for indicating battery strength, i presume) stopped glowing when the buttons were pressed on the remote.

The Nippon guy replaced them FOC as the system had a 3 year warranty.

Now one remote unit does not work at all (led does not glow) and the other is showing signs of led working intermittently. (violent shaking sometimes induces some life into the battery ).

I am assuming the batteries are weak as the remote units are 5 years old. (Even though replacement was done 2 years back i doubt batteries were new).

Where in chennai can i get the units checked or batteries replaced?

Can i just open the unit and replace the battery without causing any malfunction?

Please share your similar experiences and suggestions.

Thnx folks.
Old 28th March 2007, 20:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Can i just open the unit and replace the battery without causing any malfunction?

Thnx folks.
Thats way simple to do
these things have the same kind of battery as we have in our watches and any person who can change batteries of a watch would be able to change the battery of a remote
Old 28th March 2007, 21:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Thats way simple to do....
Thanks for the reply Manikjeet. I understand the units have button cells but i am concerned if they malfunction for some reason once it is opened. i mean is it a DIY thing without any risks? cos they cost INR 600+ per unit.

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th March 2007 at 21:02.
Old 28th March 2007, 21:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok guys need some help here.

Thnx folks.
You can get in touch with Nippon Service Centre in chennai. It is located somewhere in the chetpet - kellys area. All I did in case of my esteem was to just call up the service guys and they promptly came home and set both the remotes right. All the problems that you had mentioned above were also experienced by me with the worst being the remote not opening the car at 12 midnight when I was all set to leave offcie after a hard day's work. I do not have their contact numbers right now with me but can get it for you in a couple of hours.

The service the Nippon guy did was fabulous and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Last edited by rr_zen : 28th March 2007 at 21:14.
Old 28th March 2007, 21:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
You can get in touch with Nippon Service Centre in chennai. It is located somewhere in the chetpet - kellys area. I do not have their contact numbers right now with me but can get it for you in a couple of hours.
I googled Nippon Audiotronix Ltd. but didnt find any official website. Thats unbelievable... But i did find that their office is in Kilpauk, Chennai, but phone number is not in use anymore. (the number may have changed now).

Thnx a ton, rr_zen, will wait for your post on their phone numbers.
Old 28th March 2007, 22:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Manikjeet. I understand the units have button cells but i am concerned if they malfunction for some reason once it is opened. i mean is it a DIY thing without any risks? cos they cost INR 600+ per unit.
I did it with the remote of my alto esteem(way back) m800 and even my honda city(was the easiest) i didn't face any problem but you have to be careful not to damage the chip

you can also get it done from where you got the system fitted
Old 13th March 2008, 13:20   #12
BHPian

Battary consumption due to security system

Hi
What is a battery consumption causes due to installation of autocop or any other car security system ? Since car security system is ON 24x7 , I heard that battery's life reduced due to this system , if any expert can throw some light on it then it will be useful.

Is battery life reduced drastically due to installation of autocop or any other car security system ?

Thanks
Sandeep
Old 13th March 2008, 13:43   #13
BHPian

My Santro's OEM battery (Exide) lasted 6+yrs. Even though I use the car everyday when I am in Bangalore, many times I have left the car in my garage for period exceeding 2 months while I am traveling with central locking enabled (the ones supplied by Hyundai, Cobra?). Never had issues with starting the car when I am back.
Old 13th March 2008, 16:15   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep joshi View Post
Hi
What is a battery consumption causes due to installation of autocop or any other car security system ? Since car security system is ON 24x7 , I heard that battery's life reduced due to this system , if any expert can throw some light on it then it will be useful.

Is battery life reduced drastically due to installation of autocop or any other car security system ?

Thanks
Sandeep
If wired properly your battery should run for 2 months plus. But if there are small leakages battery indeed can get drained. The discharge is minimal when the system is armed and NOT buzzing around.

In my case, the car was sparingly used, under 1000 kms in an year and one fine day it wouldnt crank. But recovered with a bench charge, happened twice and had to deactivate the alarm while parked for extended period.
Old 13th March 2008, 17:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sandeep,

> What is a battery consumption causes due to installation of autocop or any
> other car security system ?

Could you check the following link?

Yahoo! Groups

See if it answers your query.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks