Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 00:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

I guess you should have got the Storm not d wind!!! The wind is for engine capacity up to 1.3L . Its written on the Box. I guess for baleno 1.6L the Strom should have gone in.
Old 17th March 2008, 07:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Congrats on the CAI, Vivek! I'd have choosen the carbon-fiber-wallah shroud too.

Good to know you're already enjoying Be a bit careful in the rains -- don't splash around too much, to avoid water getting into the filter.

BTW, you have a nice, clean engine bay
Thanks for the complement....Will post more pictures of the car as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Nice car and a very professional install!Congrats!

Curious to know what it used to hit the limiter at before.
Earlier also, it would have done 110kmph in 2nd. But not as quickly as it does now. So I have not tried beyond 100kmph. The scream from the engine not withstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Congrats on the CAI vivek! But lastr time i called up pete regarding a filter for an OHC 1.5, i think he recommended the storm, which he said is better for bigger engines. And wind was for the smaller ones. Btw, pls post if u have any performance gains.

P.S: did u have to make a hole in the engine room for the CA Intake? If not, where is it taking the cold air from??
Performance gains are not very pronounced, though noticeable. It was acually Peter's decision to put in the Wind instead of the Storm, I had in mind. He said that Wind is better for engines less than 100bhp. May be that's why he recommended the Storm for your City 1.5

Quote:
Behind the fender,where the older models used to have a proper resonator.
Actually not. It's now drawing air from behind the head lamps. Thanks to Maruti here. They have left huge panel gaps when the made the car. Keep it anywhere and it should get sufficient air through these...

I've not removed the resonator which is now useless. May be then we'll try relocating the intake to some other point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
I guess you should have got the Storm not d wind!!! The wind is for engine capacity up to 1.3L . Its written on the Box. I guess for baleno 1.6L the Strom should have gone in.
Actually, It was Peter who suggested the Wind which is ideal for engines less than 100bhp. Also I didnt want to lose my low end, so he thought the smaller filter would do the job better. Actually, there was no box (Check the photo taken in Peter's store room- see the package sitting on the table- bottom left). This thing came in a transparent plastic package with only the names of the company and model embossed on the shrimp.

Do you really think that I should have gone in for the Strom instead?

Last edited by Zappo : 17th March 2008 at 15:15. Reason: Post at one go please. Use the multi-quote button to reply to different people at once. Contiguous posts merged.
Old 17th March 2008, 09:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
Actually, It was Peter who suggested the Wind which is ideal for engines less than 100bhp.
Do you really think that I should have gone in for the Strom instead?
I think Peter knows what he's doing. If he has recommended the Wind filter, I am sure he had his reasons for it. Maybe you can give him a call to put your mind at ease
Old 17th March 2008, 10:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Vivek, please do let us know what he says. I'm sure he must have asked you to go in for the smaller filter for a reason.

I'm also interested to know about the issues related to using too big a filter and too big an intake pipe (and so, too much air getting in).

Last edited by hydrashok : 17th March 2008 at 10:05.
Old 17th March 2008, 10:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Generally a larger filter would have it's benefits at a higher rev range.

I have driven JKdas's car when it had a massive K&N with no cold air plumbing. Now it has got a Wind with the ducting.

IMO his car was a lot more responsive with that setup and was very eager to pick up the revs and felt much faster. But the suction noise it was making was very very loud. The car didn't even have the headers then.

With the Wind the acceleration felt much more tame.

I'm not implying anything and that particular K&N and the WInd can't be compared because of the size difference. With a bigger Green like the Storm the car would've performed like it did with K&N or maybe even better due to the CAI pipe.
Old 17th March 2008, 14:48   #21
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I want more information on these CAI pipes. Also wanted to know what happens if water is sucked in to the filter during the rains. In mumbai we have rains that actually pour and there are places were rain water is stored like a natural tank .

Hence wanted to understand whether it is risky if rain water seeps into the CAI.

Can anyone of you give me some knowledge. "Mujhe Gyaan ki prapti chaiye guruji (Team-bhpians)"
Old 17th March 2008, 14:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

^^From your post, I would suggest against a CAI for that condition.
I wouldn't like to see a BHPian weeping over a blown engine(partial) for want of a bhp.
Old 17th March 2008, 16:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice short description buddie.Good that you chose the carbon look one.It is looking terrific.Hope a longer report is filed soon.
ram
Old 17th March 2008, 16:54   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice job man. Can the Green Wind be installed on the Santro? Is it available in Bangalore?
Old 17th March 2008, 17:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Nice job man. Can the Green Wind be installed on the Santro? Is it available in Bangalore?
you can contact Raj Hingorani from Power Wheels. you can find addess / contact details from here
Old 17th March 2008, 17:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Vivek, please do let us know what he says. I'm sure he must have asked you to go in for the smaller filter for a reason.

I'm also interested to know about the issues related to using too big a filter and too big an intake pipe (and so, too much air getting in).
Peter still stands by the point that a small filter such as the Wind will not sacrifice the low end response and driveability of the engine, which I was very specific about. The Wind is ideally suited for engines which produce about 100bhp. In his opinion, it is more than enough to supply the engine with sufficient air.

He must be right, since the engine revs freely(and now faster) right upto the rev limit.
Old 17th March 2008, 18:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
Peter still stands by the point that a small filter such as the Wind will not sacrifice the low end response and driveability of the engine, which I was very specific about. The Wind is ideally suited for engines which produce about 100bhp. In his opinion, it is more than enough to supply the engine with sufficient air.

He must be right, since the engine revs freely(and now faster) right upto the rev limit.
My experience with the K&N Apollo tends to agree with Peter. My low-end has suffered quite a bit while the high-end is just magic. I'd have preferred things to even out (between low & high) a bit more.

Once you're done 'enjoying' the filter , and settle down to normal driving, do post FE changes, if any.
Old 17th March 2008, 18:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
My experience with the K&N Apollo tends to agree with Peter. My low-end has suffered quite a bit while the high-end is just magic. I'd have preferred things to even out (between low & high) a bit more.

Once you're done 'enjoying' the filter , and settle down to normal driving, do post FE changes, if any.
Ya, may be that's the reason why he chose to install the smaller filter. But to be frank, I too feel that my low end has gone down a little bit. This is perhaps because my expectations about the low end has gone up with the new found eagerness at mid and high range.
Old 17th March 2008, 19:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Congrats on the CAI vivek! But lastr time i called up pete regarding a filter for an OHC 1.5, i think he recommended the storm, which he said is better for bigger engines. And wind was for the smaller ones. Btw, pls post if u have any performance gains.

P.S: did u have to make a hole in the engine room for the CA Intake? If not, where is it taking the cold air from??
Quote:
Behind the fender,where the older models used to have a proper resonator.
Wind is for cars till 100bhp.

Be careful when the car goes for service or when friends/foes check the filter dispenser. Its easy to break the locks if one/they dont press it and turn.

I felt a slight improvement in overall drivability of my car after I got wind. I guess if you choice right gears at right time you can get good mileage too.
Old 17th March 2008, 20:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Generally picking a filter based on stock BHP ratings is pretty lame.

It should be based on cubic capacity first, RPM range second, and target BHP third.

A smaller filter indeed helps in better drive ability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks