Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2008, 09:09   #1
BANNED

Zen Vxi – front windshield broken help req !

Team,

Need urgent help, Yesterday As usual I parked my car in the office, at 5.15 p.m. security person called up saying that “Your vehicle front windshield is broken”. For two minutes my heart beat stopped, There was a construction going on terrace of my office which caused the problem, I spoken to my Admin dept they said you will get reimbursement, so I chked with prices Sai services they said 8200 with Labor charges and it will take two days to fix the car ( glass fixing will take 3 hrs but it needs to dry, which needs 24 hours ), then I chked with local mechanic he said appx 5000 Rs and it will take total 9 hours, now can somebody tell me from where shd I get the windshield replace ? whst is the rite cost ? how much time it will take and any specification for the front windshield like thickness n all.

Pls help

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 21st March 2008, 09:40   #2
BANNED

Hi,

Should cost you max 5k on the higher side including fixing. Should take not more than 1-1.5 hours to replace(cleaning broken fragments inside car extra time). You will get 3 varieties which will vary from approx 2k upwards chose a Asahi(not sure of spelling) which is the best.

4-6 hours curing is ideally required. You can give the glass for fixing on the way to office and by the time you are thru with work should be good to drive.

Viper
Old 21st March 2008, 09:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are getting a reimbursement, best go to the MASS.

And, always careful where you park. Esp construction zones.
Old 21st March 2008, 10:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

You can try Windshield Experts in your city. They have reasonable charges and the highest quality work.
Windshield Repair, Auto Glass and Auto Safety Glass Replacement Services Center India

Last edited by hrman : 21st March 2008 at 10:03. Reason: Link added
Old 21st March 2008, 10:37   #5
BANNED

Thx for your replies guys, chked with my BOSS, he has given number of STAR MOTOR Glass India shop, located at Laminton, the said it eill cost you 3100 Rs

Saint Gobain glass: 2500
Fitting Charges : 600

They can come to my office and do the job for free ( no extra cost ) it will take total 1 hour, then car shd stand still for 3 hrs

Where in as suggested chked with Windshield experts they said total cost will be 6330 for Ashahi India glass with fitting

I guess first one is good what do say ?
Old 21st March 2008, 10:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Check first what kind of materials they use, for sealant especially, cheaper stuff will cause trouble later on. Also a proper install is very critical or come rainy season leaks will start.

Also visually do a careful inspection of the glass for chipping, scratching and distortion while viewed through, before they install.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st March 2008 at 10:55.
Old 21st March 2008, 10:57   #7
BHPian

I'm not sure what brand of glass Maruti uses as OEM, I think it was Asahi for the Zen.

When I had my windshield replaced, the total cost including Glass, Sealant and labour came close to 9000 from a Maruti Service station.

If you are getting your glass from an independent shop, do chck it thoroughly for any sort of defects, especially warpage or minor cracks that could suddenly fail. You wouldn't want to be saddled with a QC rejected piece.

Edit : Just saw Jaggu's post. Yes, do make sure the installation is done ina clean, relatively dust free area and with the right materials.

Last edited by swale84 : 21st March 2008 at 10:59.
Old 21st March 2008, 10:57   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Thx for your replies guys, chked with my BOSS, he has given number of STAR MOTOR Glass India shop, located at Laminton, the said it eill cost you 3100 Rs

Saint Gobain glass: 2500
Fitting Charges : 600

They can come to my office and do the job for free ( no extra cost ) it will take total 1 hour, then car shd stand still for 3 hrs

Where in as suggested chked with Windshield experts they said total cost will be 6330 for Ashahi India glass with fitting

I guess first one is good what do say ?
Hi,

Was going to recommend the same person. Saint Gobain is also good. They should be able to provide Ashahi as well which is the best. check with them for prices.

Viper
Old 21st March 2008, 12:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I would strongly suggest going to Windshield Experts - in addition to windshield repair, they also stock windshield replacements of all cars and are way more cost-effective than a dealership in this.

There is another somewhat similar thread here abt WE - but thats for ws repair. The India-wide WE contact information is in that thread.
Old 21st March 2008, 16:25   #10
BHPian

Just ensure that the glass is of good quality.
I made my person replace the glass thrice (without any extra cost) due to bubbles at few locations which are either distracting to the driver or to the passenger.
Old 21st March 2008, 17:13   #11
BANNED

Thx for your replies guys, have changes the glass total cost = 3340Rs

2500 Rs : Asahi India Glass
600 Rs : Labour charge
350 Rs : Rubber strip

Job took 1 hour to finish.
Old 16th July 2009, 09:31   #12

Swift rear windshield broken

Hi All,

When I checked today morning noticed that my Swift's rear windshield is broken. Not sure how it could have been damaged. It was raining heavily with lightning and thunder, but i dont think this could be the reason.
Mine is 2006 model.
Guys, can you please tell how much it might cost me to replace.
Also, whether it would be good idea to go for insurance (but i will lose the no claim bonus) .
I am based in Mangalore at present so mostly i will have to go to Mandovi motors.
Please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 16th July 2009, 12:21   #13
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifts View Post
Hi All,

When I checked today morning noticed that my Swift's rear windshield is broken. Not sure how it could have been damaged. It was raining heavily with lightning and thunder, but i dont think this could be the reason.
Mine is 2006 model.
Would recommend you take it to Windshield Experts. Am not sure if they have a dealer in Mangalore, but you can check out the thread here and also their website. Going to the dealer will end up being a very pricey affair.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:24   #14
Team-BHP Support

The OEM equipment will of course have the car manufacturers name on it.

If that is missing then expect a drop (maybe small) in resale value.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post

There was a construction going on terrace of my office which caused the problem
@jits: mate, if you planning to get it fixed near your office, be careful of dust as you quoted that there is some construction going on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks