Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 22:04   #31
BHPian

Ok don't shout at me for my stupidity. Will the famous OM616 Engine suitable for a safari? The engine is a simple but powerful machine. And spares easily available considering its used in the Tempo Travellers. But then noise is something thats part of it.

Thanks,
Sunish
Old 28th March 2008, 06:50   #32
BHPian

Hi all,
my TL is almoust 10 years old and has 119000 km on its shoulders and catcon is still the same as of stock, I am considering it almoust useless, noneless, I pass emission check last May as Euro2. I'll cutting it out asap. Also is totally passive, as the engine is TCIC (now I know, Thanks guys LOL) then no probs.
The FIP is designed to fit a big variety of engines, up to 3 liter displacement ence a lot of room for play is available. It consist of increasing fuel injection time lenght ence the quantity of fuel injected into the cylinder. But to have a regular burning you must have more air, that is why the tuning as to go toghether with the turbo pressure, as this is the only way to achieve a higher air inlet. Intercooler is also something we can play with. Being realistic and practical, the easiest is to water spray the radiator. This may sound complicate but is a quite simple thing to achieve. Go to a scrapyard, buy a windscreen water tank from an old car. Fit the water tank under the bonnet and fix two sprayer on the front of intercooler. Then you can put just a swithch to spray water on demand or stick a thermostat with resin on top and connect it directly to the dc pump in the tank. A thermostat from an old radiator is fine, the ones around 75-80°C are ok. Water does not have to be cooled, as with those temperature the evaporation of water takes a lot of heat off anyway. Those of you living in tropical reagion can easily try. In theory the air density will increase ence a better performance. I haven't tried this yet, but is on the to do list...
I'm planning to make an how-to with pictures of the tuning of pump and turbo on TCIC engine. Very difficult to answer all in once...
Sticked at the bottom some pictures of the filter I have, the one of the right is the original (courtesy of Tata Club Italia)
@condor, Pink Floyd, 1979 The wall Disc 2 "Stop" (you know what I'm talking about, aren't youcheers
Ciao Ciao

Ignazio
Attached Thumbnails
Safari TCIC Performance mods-aria_1.jpg  

Safari TCIC Performance mods-aria_2.jpg  

Safari TCIC Performance mods-aria_3.jpg  

Old 28th March 2008, 08:36   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ignazio : Sticked at the bottom some pictures of the filter I have, the one of the right is the original (courtesy of Tata Club Italia)
Could you pls share more details of the filter you're using ?
Quote:
Ignazio : @condor, Pink Floyd, 1979 The wall Disc 2 "Stop" (you know what I'm talking about, aren't youcheers
Oh, yes. If I didn't, I will gladly stand in "The Trial" cheers:.

Last edited by condor : 28th March 2008 at 08:44.
Old 29th March 2008, 16:23   #34
BHPian

Filter description

Hi all,
the filter is very simple, it is made out of Polyurethane foam and normally lubricated with a special oil, which in normal road conditions should last for about 15000-20000 km. Off-roader, of course check earlier.
When it is dirty, you can wash it with a simple paint solvent, re-lubricate it with its oil and job is done. It is made to last forever, it offer an higher filtering surface, then better performances compared to the stock one.
Filter plus oil, enough for around 100000km cost me € 100.

Ciao ciao
cheers:

Ignazio
Old 29th March 2008, 21:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Roughly translated, € 100 coverts to Rs.6300/-. Not bad at all, if you look at the kind of prices charged for K&N & Green Cotton filters.

And by paint solvent you mean some kind of acetone solution? Hope this filter doesn't have parts that get damaged by the solvent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
Hi all,
the filter is very simple, it is made out of Polyurethane foam and normally lubricated with a special oil, which in normal road conditions should last for about 15000-20000 km. Off-roader, of course check earlier.
When it is dirty, you can wash it with a simple paint solvent, re-lubricate it with its oil and job is done. It is made to last forever, it offer an higher filtering surface, then better performances compared to the stock one.
Filter plus oil, enough for around 100000km cost me € 100.

Ciao ciao
cheers:

Ignazio
Old 29th March 2008, 21:32   #36
BHPian

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Roughly translated, € 100 coverts to Rs.6300/-. Not bad at all, if you look at the kind of prices charged for K&N & Green Cotton filters.

And by paint solvent you mean some kind of acetone solution? Hope this filter doesn't have parts that get damaged by the solvent..
That is correct pricewise, the solvent has to be turpentine essence based, very very common and cheap. any shop has it, it is made to resist that.
BTW it has 3 year warranty!

Ciao!

Ignazio
Old 30th March 2008, 14:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic reponse, Ignazio.
how much of a difference does the change in filter element do u feel?
Old 30th March 2008, 18:04   #38
BHPian

Hi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
how much of a difference does the change in filter element do u feel?
Faster response, and bit of better torque at low rpm.
Probably few bhp more, 2-5 max.
I think will become more important and measureable as soon as I change the exhaust system.

Ciao ciao!
cheers:

Ignazio
Old 12th August 2008, 13:10   #39
BHPian

Where I can find this Finner Filter? Do you mean Finer Filter?
Old 6th October 2009, 23:40   #40
AVR
BHPian

Bonnet Scoop for Cold air intake!

Hey guys,

I know this thread has been quiet for a while but was wondering what people have to say about this:
I am thinking I'll give my Safari a bonnet scoop like the new Scorpio for ensuring cold air intake which for a TCIC engine should make a significant difference?

Has anyone thought about this? Would the improved performance be worth the hassle?

Look forward to hearing from the Gurus

Cheers,
Aditya
Old 6th October 2009, 23:42   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Would the improved performance be worth the hassle?
i highly doubt it would. to save your energy just use the pipe of the cai and put it as close to the grill as possible.
Old 30th June 2010, 13:15   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
AVR : I am thinking I'll give my Safari a bonnet scoop like the new Scorpio for ensuring cold air intake which for a TCIC engine should make a significant difference?
Though an old point :

AVR, this scoop is Not the CAI intake. That scoop only provides additional air on to the engine block to help give a little additional cooling. I am not sure how much you will benefit from this, if it does help.
Old 30th June 2010, 16:31   #43
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Though an old point :

AVR, this scoop is Not the CAI intake. That scoop only provides additional air on to the engine block to help give a little additional cooling. I am not sure how much you will benefit from this, if it does help.
thanks Condor, Wasn't aware of what it was meant for in the Scorpio. Though I would want to explore that option primarily for colder air intake. Do you think something like this would help? I even like the idea of a water spray on the intercooler as Ignazio suggested. Worth exploring!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 30th June 2010, 17:04   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

@AVR, for the cold air intake, there is another discussion (dont rem which thread) where the size of the outlet opening etc has been calculated.

But between the intercooler water-spray + cooling of the engine block, you should gan a little. Like I said, I dont know how much to expect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks