Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2008, 09:50   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hi all, after all the sophisticated stuff I've seen above this may seem like a childish question. But here's the problem:
I have a new Alto (3 months old, only 1st service done). The car works absolutely fine in the city but on the highway, I can feel the lack of power and top speed. When I go to 90kmph, the car starts vibrating. Also I don't know if its a problem, but the power steering feels loose above 90kmph. As the needle inches past 100kmph, the vibrations get stronger and I lift my foot of the gas pedal fearing that some nuts and bolts may come loose. Once I reduce my speed to about 80kmph, the steering wheel feels right again.
So there are two problems here:
1) Vibrations at and above 90kmph
2) Steering wheel feels loose at those speeds

So
a) how do I get rid of these vibrations at high speeds? How can I mod it so that top speed increases along with power? Can I have a kind of toggle that switches between city and highway? In city, I want fuel efficiency, on highway I want good top speed. Any way to do this?

b) Should I mention the steering wheel problem to my service center guys at next service?

Thanks for your help
Regards,
F.
Farhad,
Based on your post if am not wrong you are still running on stock tyres and such high speeds are not @ all advisable. This is what i think and some experts might put in their comments and PM Ishaan "Iraghava" or Prajesh "kpzen" for their feedback if they have missed this thread.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:09   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hi all, after all the sophisticated stuff I've seen above this may seem like a childish question. But here's the problem:
I have a new Alto (3 months old, only 1st service done). The car works absolutely fine in the city but on the highway, I can feel the lack of power and top speed. When I go to 90kmph, the car starts vibrating. Also I don't know if its a problem, but the power steering feels loose above 90kmph. As the needle inches past 100kmph, the vibrations get stronger and I lift my foot of the gas pedal fearing that some nuts and bolts may come loose. Once I reduce my speed to about 80kmph, the steering wheel feels right again.
So there are two problems here:
1) Vibrations at and above 90kmph
2) Steering wheel feels loose at those speeds

So
a) how do I get rid of these vibrations at high speeds? How can I mod it so that top speed increases along with power? Can I have a kind of toggle that switches between city and highway? In city, I want fuel efficiency, on highway I want good top speed. Any way to do this?

b) Should I mention the steering wheel problem to my service center guys at next service?

Thanks for your help
Regards,
F.
do mention these problems when you give it for the next service. and i think the vibrations are because of wheel balancing. get you balancing checked.
Old 11th September 2008, 23:01   #243
BANNED

yes, get the wheel balancing done, this will remove vibrations at any speed.
Old 12th September 2008, 13:43   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Farhad,
Based on your post if am not wrong you are still running on stock tyres and such high speeds are not @ all advisable. This is what i think and some experts might put in their comments and PM Ishaan "Iraghava" or Prajesh "kpzen" for their feedback if they have missed this thread.
Hey Mavrick, thanks for your reply bro. But no, I am not running on stock tyres that come with alto. I had the dealer himself give me alloys and tubeless tyres. The tyres are, however, not thicker than the original; they're of the same size.

Also, thanks to Akshay and Monty for taking the time to answer my query. I will definitely get the rebalancing done.

Drive safe
Old 25th September 2008, 23:17   #245
BHPian

I am changing my Car to the original setting this weekend. Even though i had a considerable increase in power and pickup of the car. I am not satisfied with the smoothness of the Car. It dosent satisfy me in the smoothness in ride it usually gives me when it use to be in the original setting so i am going to remove the Airfilter and Auto mech exhaust.
Old 26th September 2008, 15:10   #246
Senior - BHPian

So you are getting back to stock filter and exhaust. So was the car shuddering ? and i thought with upgrades in FFE and the filter the ride becomes much smoother than before which i did feel in my ride though. Anyways ! keep us updated and enjoy the ride as per your liking.
Old 26th September 2008, 15:16   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
So you are getting back to stock filter and exhaust. So was the car shuddering ? and i thought with upgrades in FFE and the filter the ride becomes much smoother than before which i did feel in my ride though. Anyways ! keep us updated and enjoy the ride as per your liking.
It does feel very powerful and good. But dosent give the smoothness as of the original setting. I have changed the to Original settings. The nosiness which is caused earlier has gone. The ride has also become smooth. It feels like i have get ride of the 2 ton weight i am carrying on my shoulders. Didnt bother abt the money lost in the aultration. Every mistakes are a very good experiances na. Yes the car was shuttering earlier.
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:43   #248
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
I am changing my Car to the original setting this weekend. Even though i had a considerable increase in power and pickup of the car. I am not satisfied with the smoothness of the Car. It dosent satisfy me in the smoothness in ride it usually gives me when it use to be in the original setting so i am going to remove the Airfilter and Auto mech exhaust.
i wonder how the car wasnt smooth? what airfilter u were using? and wt do you think wt made your car riding rough, FFE or air filter?
do you want to sell you FFE? if yes then for how much.
Old 2nd October 2008, 19:48   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
i wonder how the car wasnt smooth? what airfilter u were using? and wt do you think wt made your car riding rough, FFE or air filter?
do you want to sell you FFE? if yes then for how much.
The noise feels like it is not smooth. Its 50% mental thing.

Yes i am planning to sell it out. You know the price.. i can consider a very good price for you. As i dont have any experiance in buying and selling you tell me the price. I am selling both the Filter and Exhaust.
Old 2nd October 2008, 20:39   #250
BANNED

If you have a big air filter without a balanced header/exhaust manifold, it's possible that you feel the engine to be a bit unsmooth and rough.
Somebody who has driven a similar modified car would be able to tell if something is wrong.
Old 2nd October 2008, 21:25   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
It does feel very powerful and good. But dosent give the smoothness as of the original setting. I have changed the to Original settings. The nosiness which is caused earlier has gone. The ride has also become smooth. It feels like i have get ride of the 2 ton weight i am carrying on my shoulders. Didnt bother abt the money lost in the aultration. Every mistakes are a very good experiances na. Yes the car was shuttering earlier.
Hey ashok! You have my sympathies bro. I know exactly how you feel. I fitted a Green cotton filter in my Estilo a couple of months back. Though there was an increase in the power, there was extra vibration too. In my case I'm a little more frustrated than you since I felt that the vibrations in my case are mainly due to improper instalation (see below pic).

Modding an Alto-filter3.jpg

I've been running from garage to garage for the past 2 months trying to get it rectified and am just about reaching the same conclusion as you - it feels like a ton of worries. I'm giving it one last shot this weekend (driving to a garage 700 kms away to get my filter fixed!!) and if things don't work I'm throwing this 'Wind' filter to the wind.

Moral of the story for me is that "We should be happy with the 'thing' that God gave us instead of trying to make it bigger and better" .
Old 3rd October 2008, 00:32   #252
Senior - BHPian

guys its the basic characteristics of the free flow airfilter that the car sounds harsh/coarse/vibrates. we can also say that its an intake growl. mainly this occurs due to the more air sucked in and better combustion that takes place inside the cylinder.

so people like it some dont. but if u want increased power from the same engine its apparent that the engine will sound harsh.

and yes if u put a F.F.E then the back pressure is reduced marginally and all the intermediate elements which help in sound deadening are gone, so it will sound really loud, you have to live with it.

if some parts are loose on either filter or the FFE then those can be rectified.
Old 3rd October 2008, 00:35   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
mainly this occurs due to the more air sucked in and better combustion that takes place inside the cylinder.
Mainly because the resonator box is taken out.
Old 3rd October 2008, 02:30   #254
BANNED

Attention to all those who want to throw away their filters/other irritating modifications,
Please go to this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ow-bhpian.html
Thanks.
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:00   #255
BHPian

Thats a good one speedzak, won't miss that thread now!

Most Viewed