Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 17:02   #256
BHPian

The Pete's Effect!!

Hi All,

It's amazing how much has changed since the crazed rantings in my previous post. But then that's what is 'The Pete's Effect'. The pictures below tell it all.

First 2 pics - Before Pete's...
Modding an Alto-filterold.jpg
Modding an Alto-filterold2.jpg

Next 2 pics - After Pete's!
Modding an Alto-filternew.jpg
Modding an Alto-filternew2.jpg

I now feel vindicated in having driven all that distance to Cochin to get my problem rectified at Pete's. I stood by and watched all through the 'surgery' (over 2 hours) as the 'surgeons' plied their trade. The team comprising none other than Peter, Mr.Mathew Lan - manager and technicians Muthu and Abu went about the task like artists creating some masterpiece!

It was akin to being in a class regarding automobile engineering just to stand there and be privy to all discussions regarding the choice of materials to be used, the routing for the pipes Etc and see the execution as well. And after the work was done... Oh what joy! to hear and feel a much smoother engine kicking out the bhps.

I shudder to think of what a waste it would have been dump the filter just because of a fitment error. The fact was that the filter was delivering the goods even inspite of the mis-fitment!! My thanks to Peter and his team for making my drives enjoyable again. Another round of thanks to member Redfire for recommending me to Pete's. Alls well that ends well!
Old 10th October 2008, 00:54   #257
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Get your Alto checked at a different MASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hi all, after all the sophisticated stuff I've seen above this may seem like a childish question. But here's the problem:
I have a new Alto (3 months old, only 1st service done). The car works absolutely fine in the city but on the highway, I can feel the lack of power and top speed. When I go to 90kmph, the car starts vibrating. Also I don't know if its a problem, but the power steering feels loose above 90kmph. As the needle inches past 100kmph, the vibrations get stronger and I lift my foot of the gas pedal fearing that some nuts and bolts may come loose. Once I reduce my speed to about 80kmph, the steering wheel feels right again.
So there are two problems here:
1) Vibrations at and above 90kmph
2) Steering wheel feels loose at those speeds
Hi,

This is most certainly not normal for an Alto. I own an Alto that is just 4 months old and have driven brilliantly on the highway. Drove from Bangalore to Trivandrum last month and my speeds were pushing the 120 kmph mark and my Alto felt well planted.

The steering felt nicely weighted after I crossed the 80 kmph mark and had no vibrations. I suspect you could have a problem with the alignment of your wheels, which is why you face the shuddering of the steering like you mentioned.

Take your car to a MASS and have it throughly checked. A new Alto should not give the kind of problems that you have elucidated.

Keep us posted if you have any updated.

Cheers,

gpa
Old 12th October 2008, 17:30   #258
BHPian

help...

Chennai guys. I need help. my alto needs some minor 'tinker' works and maybe a spot repaint. any idea where I could get these done?? and economically too? it would be great if you guys could get me a personal referral. also, how often should the wheel alignment be checked?
Old 13th October 2008, 13:44   #259
BHPian

Hi guys, need a favor. I'm installing a 285-spec reprofiled cam from Piper. I understand I could face idling issues & that for a proper tune I would need to get a vernier cam pulley. The thing is, they are not available for my engine - an F10D ! Machining them myself seems prohibitive in terms of cost vs benefit.

Here are the crank & cam timing pulleys - the stock cam timing pulley costs Rs.168 ( yeah, I know - God bless Maruti)...

Modding an Alto-img_0648.jpg

Since the vernier pulleys work by simply allowing relative variation between the cam & the pulley, I thought I'd just get a few stock ones & machine keyways offset by whatever degrees works best - something like this...

Modding an Alto-cam_0651.jpg

I'm told that such a mod can be carried out easily with a milling machine & an indexing attachment.

Vernier pulleys typically allow variations of +- 5 degrees. What I'd like some help with, from the engine-vengine guys, is the offset angle to start with. Can those who're running a 285 cam, & had to resort to a vernier pulley, put up how much retard or advance that had to be dialed in ?

Thanks guys

Last edited by im_srini : 13th October 2008 at 13:47.
Old 13th October 2008, 13:50   #260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi guys, need a favor. I'm installing a 285-spec reprofiled cam from Piper. I understand I could face idling issues & that for a proper tune I would need to get a vernier cam pulley. The thing is, they are not available for my engine - an F10D !
Thanks guys
Hi,

Can get you a adjustable plate made for your existing pulleys. PM me for details.

Viper
Old 21st October 2008, 17:00   #261
BHPian

Hi,
The problem with misaligned wheels also seems to stem from the fact that
a) the approach road to my apartment is very bad and full of potholes
b) the basement parking ramp is quite steep so sometimes if the speed is not slow enough, you hear a "thunk" sound in the rear suspension
c) a stretch of road from my office towards my home is like the moon's surface

What do you guys suggest? What kind of suspension can bear this kind of battering? I mean even a new car will get screwed on these roads. Is there anything that I can do to make the car more sturdy on such roads?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Hi,

This is most certainly not normal for an Alto. I own an Alto that is just 4 months old and have driven brilliantly on the highway. Drove from Bangalore to Trivandrum last month and my speeds were pushing the 120 kmph mark and my Alto felt well planted.

The steering felt nicely weighted after I crossed the 80 kmph mark and had no vibrations. I suspect you could have a problem with the alignment of your wheels, which is why you face the shuddering of the steering like you mentioned.

Take your car to a MASS and have it throughly checked. A new Alto should not give the kind of problems that you have elucidated.

Keep us posted if you have any updated.

Cheers,

gpa
Old 27th October 2008, 11:04   #262
BHPian

Update: got my wheels balanced at the Bimal Maruti authorized service center. I told him that it was a new car and that the balancing ought to have been done before delivering the car to me.
So these guys did the job within 30 minutes and I even tested it out by driving from Bangalore to Tamil Nadu. No more vibrations or wobbling. The car felt nice and steady even at speeds above 95kmph.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 26th November 2008, 17:09   #263
Senior - BHPian

@mudmover:can you PM me how much did the Pipercross CAI costed?because i'm planning to do that shortly.And do i need to drive all the way to cochin for getting it done.else guys suggest me the best person in B'lore who can do this installation.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:27   #264
Senior - BHPian

i just got my silencer cleaned in which i got my catcon removed. even with this small change my alto has started revving very happily and the throttle response has improved a lot. 0-80 is very quick now.

i think a better designed FFE will improve the BHP marginally on an alto.
Old 27th November 2008, 14:07   #265
Senior - BHPian

Amit.is it advisible to remove the catcon?guess i read somewhere here which will lead to emission problems.

guru's shed some light on this.
Old 27th November 2008, 14:26   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Amit.is it advisible to remove the catcon?guess i read somewhere here which will lead to emission problems.

guru's shed some light on this.
it is not advisable if you are looking at the emissions perspective. but my car had done 4 plus years and the catcon had burnt off. there was a rattling sound in the silencer. so had to remove it. catcon provides obstruction to the smooth flow of exhaust gases, and if you get rid of it the exhaust will be free flow , but the CO emission will be a bit more.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:25   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
it is not advisable if you are looking at the emissions perspective. but my car had done 4 plus years and the catcon had burnt off. there was a rattling sound in the silencer. so had to remove it. catcon provides obstruction to the smooth flow of exhaust gases, and if you get rid of it the exhaust will be free flow , but the CO emission will be a bit more.
Hi All: Pls advise on this off-late my alto is giving out a strange sound from my silencer (Rear), got it checked in Suraksha, Mandovi and Bimal, all of them said my silencer is gone kaput, it gives a sound which is like bangles of steel ringing & ringing. Nobody had the rear silencer to replace them and they said it would cost me about 4K + 500 for installation, I asked them if I could manage it for some more time, they said that's not an issue as long as I can withstand that sound.

Pls help in understanding this issue, and is this common in Alto's which has covered more than 25 k on ODO.

Or is it that there is something which I can do to avoid that bill??

PS: I have a K&N filter in my ride
Old 16th December 2008, 09:56   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Hi All: Pls advise on this off-late my alto is giving out a strange sound from my silencer (Rear), got it checked in Suraksha, Mandovi and Bimal, all of them said my silencer is gone kaput, it gives a sound which is like bangles of steel ringing & ringing. Nobody had the rear silencer to replace them and they said it would cost me about 4K + 500 for installation, I asked them if I could manage it for some more time, they said that's not an issue as long as I can withstand that sound.

Pls help in understanding this issue, and is this common in Alto's which has covered more than 25 k on ODO.

Or is it that there is something which I can do to avoid that bill??

PS: I have a K&N filter in my ride
crn12! I think the silencer has been damaged for sure and that is the reason for the strange sound. You can get it welded I think if its not a problem, but cannot say unless the damage is viewed.

Regarding the query about this issue surfacing up in Alto's having an ODO of 25K+ ? Is not true and I think there might be a damage on the silencer, might be caused due to hit underneath (just speculating here).

Time to go for FFE I believe .Anyways, try RNS motors Hosur road and I feel you can take a fourth opinion as well.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:00   #269
Team-BHP Support

crn12 I had the same problem in my Alto. At 22K the silencer had rusted from the inside and I could hear metallic jingling sound.

Instead of spending 4.5K for a stock silencer, I went and got a full FFE installed at 6K. End result is good improvement in mid range performance, sweet sound and better FE.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:15   #270
BHPian

Yes not normal for 25k on the odo. However a hit on the silencer or frequent short trips especially after cold starts could hasten rusting.

Most Viewed