Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 15:07   #781
BHPian

Re: Modding an Alto

Hi I too have seen faded tail lamps of the alto mostly with taxis , they buy the locally available brands at about 60 % of the price but if u go to a lumax shop he will be able to give u the original lumax tail light much cheaper than mgp . anyway I thank he has already bought the tail lamp so maybe topic closed .
Old 2nd December 2011, 16:03   #782
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I'll let you know once I have replaced the lens assembly.
^^Update

Since I took the car in for service today, I asked the mechanic to remove the RHS tail-light assembly. On close inspection, it appears that the lens is just cracked on the surface and not all the way through so water and dust has not been able to penetrate the light assembly. He told me to keep this for now and change it later if it breaks, which is what I intend to do.
Old 14th December 2011, 21:51   #783
Senior - BHPian

This is not really a mod. I plan for alloy wheels at the time of changing tyres but since that is some time away, I recently fitted wheel covers that caught my eye at MGA. They actually look better than these mobile cam pics, and I paid Rs 1060.00 for the set!
Attached Thumbnails
Modding an Alto-dsc00839.jpg  

Modding an Alto-dsc00840.jpg  

Modding an Alto-dsc00841.jpg  

Modding an Alto-dsc00842.jpg  

Old 15th December 2011, 09:47   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is not really a mod. I plan for alloy wheels at the time of changing tyres but since that is some time away, I recently fitted wheel covers that caught my eye at MGA. They actually look better than these mobile cam pics, and I paid Rs 1060.00 for the set!
These wheel covers look really good on the Alto. They might come loose on bumpy roads, so, periodically check if they are secured properly.
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 12:39   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Nice Wheel Caps.
You said you got them from Maruti dealer. What make are they?
I thought MGP caps have the Suzuki symbol 'S' on them.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:16   #786
Senior - BHPian

I don't know. They were fitted at MSM and the packaging thrown away immediately. The pack was MGP with their part number though.

I did not see the S symbol on any of the wheel covers on display, for any of the models.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:55   #787
BHPian

is it possible to increase the power of my ALTO, feel very underpowered these days.
Old 20th December 2011, 20:13   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
is it possible to increase the power of my ALTO, feel very underpowered these days.
First thing is get the general servicing done. Pay extra attention to the air filter, change if required. Check the fuel filter, in case it is clogged, you might have to replace it, in which case I am assuming you would be facing FE issues as well.

Apart from these, check the tyres. From personal experience I can confidently say that lack of sufficient grip on older or worn out tyres will cause a loss of power, especially in a light nippy 800cc mill.

All in all, a thorough check-up by the MASS guys could show you some lingering issues, and the engine should feel peppy after a complete maintenance routine.

After all these, if you are looking to add more power, you could start with an Air Filter, (K&N), but this is again a debatable topic. Coupling this with a Cold Air Intake (K&N or Cosworth) could help, as would the installation of an FFE, which should add a few BHps, sacrificing cleaner emissions in the process. In the end, it is completely your call.

Do write back about what you go on to do and the results you observe.
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:29   #789
BHPian

Check out the sunroof installation on my alto on the after market sunroof thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2619559
Old 17th January 2012, 12:55   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
First thing is get the general servicing done. Pay extra attention to the air filter, change if required. Check the fuel filter, in case it is clogged, you might have to replace it, in which case I am assuming you would be facing FE issues as well.

Apart from these, check the tyres. From personal experience I can confidently say that lack of sufficient grip on older or worn out tyres will cause a loss of power, especially in a light nippy 800cc mill.

All in all, a thorough check-up by the MASS guys could show you some lingering issues, and the engine should feel peppy after a complete maintenance routine.

After all these, if you are looking to add more power, you could start with an Air Filter, (K&N), but this is again a debatable topic. Coupling this with a Cold Air Intake (K&N or Cosworth) could help, as would the installation of an FFE, which should add a few BHps, sacrificing cleaner emissions in the process. In the end, it is completely your call.

Do write back about what you go on to do and the results you observe.
Adding CAI and FFE (Headers till the Exhaust tip) definitely does add a few bhp and ofcourse you will enjoy the drive. For all this the individual has to be ready for the stage1 mods as many have a lot of apprehensions on mods and take a back foot because of some obvious reasons .
Old 19th January 2012, 20:57   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
These wheel covers look really good on the Alto. They might come loose on bumpy roads, so, periodically check if they are secured properly.
I had purchased a set of wheel caps for Rs.600. They were not these press fit ones, rather they had a nut and bolt fitting system. I noticed that no matter how much I tightened the nut, they would always be loose and rotate slightly. I noticed this by observing that the position of the tyre valve with respect to the grooves in the wheel cap would constantly change. So much so that they would keep pressing against the valve from one side, I figured later. This caused a leakage in the front right side tyre's valve and I was losing pressure in that tyre very fast.

Needed to get the valve replaced, and seeing no other solution, have removed the caps now. Planning to upgrade to alloys soon, anyways..
Old 20th January 2012, 00:11   #792
BHPian

Quote:
removed the caps now. Planning to upgrade to alloys soon, anyways..
Nice. Do share your experience.
Old 27th January 2012, 10:00   #793
Senior - BHPian

Wheel caps are a nuisance during the monsoon. All the muck gets collected and you need to take them off to clean the wheels. Got mine colored black and used orange stickers for the lips.
Attached Thumbnails
Modding an Alto-4.jpg  

Modding an Alto-8.jpg  

Altocumulus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:31   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly the very same thing that's been on my mind as well!!
I have been so in two minds about this thing, I really cannot come to a conclusion, and as I read somewhere when I first joined this forum, this place does not give you instant answers, and instead, you will leave a more confused person than what you were when you came looking for answers.
i was just reading about the mods you were wanting to get into your ALTO, wondering if you still have done any yet? i personally own a red 2007 LX model. Running on Green Cotton Colonial filter for 2 years and only a Magnaflow muffler for year now.

My suggestion is in terms of airfiter to go in for the green cotton as i got a lot of difference in terms of acceleration from low to mid. Where'As i did have k&n earlier before the green cotton , K&N only gave me a proper low end acceleration and nothing more. Hence green cotton is the best in my personal opinion. Every 5000kms you gotta clean the filter. i think i paid 5000rs with the air sensor for it.
nosfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 08:10   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
i was just reading about the mods you were wanting to get into your ALTO, wondering if you still have done any yet? i personally own a red 2007 LX model. Running on Green Cotton Colonial filter for 2 years and only a Magnaflow muffler for year now.

My suggestion is in terms of airfiter to go in for the green cotton as i got a lot of difference in terms of acceleration from low to mid. Where'As i did have k&n earlier before the green cotton , K&N only gave me a proper low end acceleration and nothing more. Hence green cotton is the best in my personal opinion. Every 5000kms you gotta clean the filter. i think i paid 5000rs with the air sensor for it.
Alright, I will definitely look at it. To answer your question, no I haven't done the mods yet. But it's not that I have given up on the idea yet, so thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Kindly tell me the model no. or any specification of the filter you are using, so that I can look for it, and also whether any other variant would be available for the Alto.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 4th February 2012 at 08:11.

Most Viewed