Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2012, 09:48   #796
BHPian

Re: Modding an Alto

What are the opinions of the Gurus about a steering mounted universal remote control e.g. Pioneer CDR100? I have Pioneer DEH2190UB HU. Pl.suggest pros and cons for this. Its price is of Rs.1000/- here. Is it OK?
Old 14th February 2012, 01:57   #797
BHPian

hello guys,

came across this seat cushion:
Car Seat Massager Vibrating Messager pad Cushion | eBay

will this (or something else?) improve the driving comfort of Alto.
Old 14th February 2012, 03:21   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasuray View Post
What are the opinions of the Gurus about a steering mounted universal remote control e.g. Pioneer CDR100? I have Pioneer DEH2190UB HU. Pl.suggest pros and cons for this. Its price is of Rs.1000/- here. Is it OK?
I used to have Pioneer CD-SR100 steering remote on Pioneer 3150 HU for my M800. Bought it for 1K from Kochi an year ago.

Pretty useful in controlling the audio without diverting our attention while driving. Only con I found is that it did not have a mute or pause button.

Whenever my dad or brother drove the car, this thing came out of its holder; but never happened with me. I don't know how they managed to snap it out.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 15:10   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
hello guys,

came across this seat cushion:
Car Seat Massager Vibrating Messager pad Cushion | eBay

will this (or something else?) improve the driving comfort of Alto.
Personally I would dislike something vibrating on my back (except if the vibes are of a mid-engine V12).
It would only help when you are not driving the car or have taken a backseat.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:01   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Personally I would dislike something vibrating on my back (except if the vibes are of a mid-engine V12).
It would only help when you are not driving the car or have taken a backseat.
Thanks KkVaidya,

I was alsonot sure of it. Any other suggestions of imroving the driving comfort in a small car like ALTO.
Old 25th February 2012, 13:55   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Thanks KkVaidya,

I was alsonot sure of it. Any other suggestions of imroving the driving comfort in a small car like ALTO.
Personally I find the Alto's driving position to be comfortable. It also depends on your body frame. I am a small built person standing 5' 6" so it's a snug fit for me. If you have a large built then there is no way you will be comfortable in a small car like the Alto.
Just a small tip : Remove any seat covers with padding as they tend to change the whole driving position. Personally I hate them considering that car makers spend a lot of resources on R&D for a comfortable driving position. We should upkeep the efforts.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:04   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Personally I find the Alto's driving position to be comfortable. It also depends on your body frame. I am a small built person standing 5' 6" so it's a snug fit for me. If you have a large built then there is no way you will be comfortable in a small car like the Alto.
Just a small tip : Remove any seat covers with padding as they tend to change the whole driving position. Personally I hate them considering that car makers spend a lot of resources on R&D for a comfortable driving position. We should upkeep the efforts.
Thanks KkVaidya,

I am 5'11" so i feel very constricted inside.
I dont have any seat covers on ALTO. Same logic as your's, maruti has charged you for the seat why cover it with something that is of lower quality and generally uncomfortable.
I guess my general sitting posture is also to blame (which i am trying to correct), but when i saw a recommendation for norma seat it made sense as there is just no support for lower back in ALTO. I will try keeping a small pillow and see how it goes. tell me if you find any workaround to improve comfort.
Old 12th March 2012, 15:18   #803
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Had a question.

I had got my stock muffler cut open and the pipes inside removed in the hope that it would increase some noise. So basically its just a hollow box now with an inlet and an out. However there was a marginal increase in sound. FE for some reason has increased though by 1-2 kms/l. Now I am planning to get the catcon removed.

Would that have any adverse effects other than emission norms? Its a BSIII car so it wont have any problems with emission even if the catcon is removed.
Old 12th March 2012, 18:07   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Hi Guys,

Had a question.

I had got my stock muffler cut open and the pipes inside removed in the hope that it would increase some noise. So basically its just a hollow box now with an inlet and an out. However there was a marginal increase in sound. FE for some reason has increased though by 1-2 kms/l. Now I am planning to get the catcon removed.

Would that have any adverse effects other than emission norms? Its a BSIII car so it wont have any problems with emission even if the catcon is removed.
Please do not remove the catalytic convertor and raise the CO level. We only have one planet to live on
Can I know the purpose of these changes? You want the sound or the FE or performance?
Please remember that a badly designed exhaust can reduce the back pressure and thus reduction in torque!
Old 13th March 2012, 09:27   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can I know the purpose of these changes? You want the sound or the FE or performance?
Please remember that a badly designed exhaust can reduce the back pressure and thus reduction in torque!
Thanks kk.

I am basically looking at increasing sound and eventually in sometime I will get a FFE done though there are a lot of fellow BHPians in Kolkata who are saying that it wont be of any use in an Alto.

My question is if the exhaust pipe is too small or the muffler has a lot of air resistance wouldn't it take the engine more power to push the air out?

I am aware that a badly designed exhaust can reduce back pressure but will that really affect a small engine like Alto's ?

Also I am not changing the diameter of the pipe just clearing its path. So the engine should move a little more freely and also the cohesive force/attraction of the exhaust air should not be affected.

I maybe wrong but am just trying to understand how it will be a problem.

Thanks

Last edited by Altocumulus : 13th March 2012 at 09:29.
Old 13th March 2012, 11:00   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Had a question.

If it's just Sound you want, you can do what i did on my K10. it has helped free up the Engine a little bit too till i get the headers and delete the cat.

What i did was keep the stock exhaust till the catcon, and from that point on change the pipes to something with a larger diameter and a universal endcan. This will sound awesome and you will feel that the car revs a little more happily and there is lesser drop in rpm while changing gears. i for one have felt a slight increase in low torque as well. pulls cleanly in 3rd gear from 1100 rpm onwards.

try it out. what other mods do you already have on the car? A universal Air filter could help in making the car a little more audible.
Old 18th March 2012, 01:08   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
If it's just Sound you want, you can do what i did on my K10. it has helped free up the Engine a little bit too till i get the headers and delete the cat.
as KKkvaidya said above, please dont delete the cat! It gives us cleaner (less polluted) air to breathe.
Old 18th March 2012, 10:33   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks kk.

I am basically looking at increasing sound and eventually in sometime I will get a FFE done though there are a lot of fellow BHPians in Kolkata who are saying that it wont be of any use in an Alto.

My question is if the exhaust pipe is too small or the muffler has a lot of air resistance wouldn't it take the engine more power to push the air out?

I am aware that a badly designed exhaust can reduce back pressure but will that really affect a small engine like Alto's ?

Also I am not changing the diameter of the pipe just clearing its path. So the engine should move a little more freely and also the cohesive force/attraction of the exhaust air should not be affected.

I maybe wrong but am just trying to understand how it will be a problem.

Thanks
I am basically looking at increasing sound and eventually in sometime I will get a FFE done though there are a lot of fellow BHPians in Kolkata who are saying that it wont be of any use in an Alto. - If you plan to get a FFE done later on,why waste time playing around with the stock exhaust ?
As for your query,If you want to increase the sound, remove the Catcon, replace the muffler with one that is smaller in volume compared to the stock one. The universal ones that you see are mostly cylindrical and have straight through passage and have lesser volume compared to stock boxes.
Irrespective of which car or which engine it is, a redesigned exhaust tuned for performance,will definitely show you gains,doesn't matter whether its a 3 cylinder or 800cc engine.The noticeable difference would be lesser compared to let's say a 2L 4 cylinder or maybe a 3L V6 engine.that's all.

My question is if the exhaust pipe is too small or the muffler has a lot of air resistance wouldn't it take the engine more power to push the air out? - The manufacturer knows substantially more than end users like you and me. The exhaust plumbing is designed carefully and with a certain objective in mind. Keep in mind that the Alto wasn't made with performance in mind. The exhaust piping too is calculated.
If you increase the diameter of the pipes, alongwith a cat con delete and less restrictive muffler, the back pressure reduces and you will observe minute drop in low end torque but you will observe that at higher RPM the engine is much more happy.
The small dia of the plumbing and restrictive muffler will not put load on the engine,it will just not perform as freely as it would if there would have been no restrictions.

In the end, an engine is nothing but a very complex air pump. Everything depends on how efficiently the air comes in and goes out of the pump (engine).
You improve intake side by removing restrictions with polished ports,manifolds,larger throttle bodies,bigger intake kits and so on.Simultaneously you redesign the exhaust side as mentioned above and you see how much improvement you notice in the power and torque generated.
Amey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 20:35   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks kk.

Thanks
Do not remove the catcon what so ever. I have heard the sound without it and ran it for a few days as well. The sound is just too loud but very neat, however there i felt there was acceleration only towards the start & mid and had a major decrease in mileage 12kmpl even just riding it normally. Check my garage i've updated my Alto pics, with a magnaflow exhaust till the muffler only ( just almost beneath the rear seat)
nosfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 08:31   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
Do not remove the catcon what so ever. I have heard the sound without it and ran it for a few days as well. The sound is just too loud but very neat, however there i felt there was acceleration only towards the start & mid and had a major decrease in mileage 12kmpl even just riding it normally. Check my garage i've updated my Alto pics, with a magnaflow exhaust till the muffler only ( just almost beneath the rear seat)
When you remove the Cat con, it has to be replaced with a similar length expansion chamber so that the noise levels remain low.
The low and mid end acceleration improvement was noticeable because the remaining plumbing was designed for low and mid end performance because thats the most used RPM band in almost all city cars.

If you increase the pipe dia and also for the exhaust manifold runners, you will feel the difference in top end.
Also keep in mind the fueling and intake part,the ECU is not mapped for outright performance,it is biased towards mileage which means it runs leaner and not rich.
I saw your pics, what you have is a Short Ram Intake sort of an arrangement which means you have warm/hot air from the engine compartment being sucked in. Try changing that to a proper Cold Air Intake with proper ducting to let's say front of the bumper and see what gains you get out of it.

Last edited by Amey : 19th March 2012 at 08:33.
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks