Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 12:01   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The 5 speed BA10 gearboxes are good for the XD3P engine if you can lay your hands on one..

How much should it cost?? Where to find one?? Is it a 4x4?? Also can you please advice how much mileage does this engine normally gives (offcourse on road)??
Old 4th April 2008, 12:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertKing View Post
How much should it cost?? Where to find one?? Is it a 4x4?? Also can you please advice how much mileage does this engine normally gives (offcourse on road)??
There is one in Chennai and he's asking for the heaven! Mileage should be in the range of 12 - 15 kpl..
Old 4th April 2008, 19:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

You should get one near your place, I have seen some pretty good good stuff coming from Rajshtan , to goa[4X4 goddies] including jongas, engines ,etc. Delhi will be most likely place to find it... as for the price, it depends no the condition and once bargaining power and most of all once luck. One of the mechanic got a gear box for 10 grand from mumbai.
You can except a mileage of around 12 KMPL.
By the way M&M launched the XD3P engine with the BA10 gear box combo on the Armada grand, and it had a 4X4 variant, so it won't be a problem sourcing stuff.
Old 4th April 2008, 22:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

The BA10 5-speed gearbox's case used to be manufactured out of aluminium and it wouldn't hold stresses and would just break .
Mahindra realised the fault and then started making the BA10 with a Cast Iron case which is now very successful and very rare to come by in the chopshop market. The one used BA 'box 'jyobeb' found was picked up for 42k.
A new one should cost 75k and the one here with the mahindra distributor is going for 65k.
Old 5th April 2008, 00:08   #50
BHPian

MRF Sandgrips on Army M&Ms have a good grip on and off the road. They are good in boggy surfaces also.
Broader the tyre, more muck it spills on the vehicle!
Old 5th April 2008, 08:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The BA10 5-speed gearbox's case used to be manufactured out of aluminium and it wouldn't hold stresses and would just break .
Mahindra realised the fault and then started making the BA10 with a Cast Iron case which is now very successful and very rare to come by in the chopshop market. The one used BA 'box 'jyobeb' found was picked up for 42k.
A new one should cost 75k and the one here with the mahindra distributor is going for 65k.
The gearbox is not worth more than 20 odd grand..

@ nitrous: Aluminium will hold stresses too if mounted properly..MOst modern vehicles have switched to 100% aluminium..FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
MRF Sandgrips on Army M&Ms have a good grip on and off the road. They are good in boggy surfaces also.
Broader the tyre, more muck it spills on the vehicle!

When it comes to SLUSH, NDMS rulez..Sandgrips dont have that capability!
Old 5th April 2008, 09:50   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Regarading BA10 gearboxes I did some reasearch and was told my the Purchase Manager at India Garage in Bangalore that most of the internals were imported from Peugot in France and it is a pain to get replacement parts. He quoted me an NGT30 5-Speed with a Mechanical Borg Warner T-Case (Similar to Mahindra major i guess) for 80K. Besides he said that Mahindra doesn't sell it new anymore since they shifted to NGT20/30 series.
Old 5th April 2008, 10:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hey 4x4addict, thanks for the info, So what happens to the BA10 customer??? I know many people who have Armada grand. What gear box does Bolaro have?? I mean the first models, did they change the gear box on these too or it change has been resent ?
Old 5th April 2008, 10:22   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Hey 4x4addict, thanks for the info, So what happens to the BA10 customer??? I know many people who have Armada grand. What gear box does Bolaro have?? I mean the first models, did they change the gear box on these too or it change has been resent ?
The earlier Bolero's and even the first set of Scoripio's came with the BA10s. Regarding my earlier comment this was the feedback given by the Purchase Manager. I still think you should source the parts, since I am almost certain that the NGT20/30 is copied from it (purely guessing).

Personally, If I got a good used BA10 4x4 at a reasonable price. I would still go ahead rather than spend 80K on a new NGT30.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 5th April 2008 at 10:23.
Old 5th April 2008, 10:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hello desert king,

Good to see you going full throttle with MM540 modifications. Few golden rules i would suggest from my little experience-

1. Do not try to make a Utility vehicle a mini suv like wrangler, thats because after all the money spent u will still not be satisfied

2. Have a clear picture of what you want to make your jeep look like. The theme should be clear and must not look confused. Theme may be wrangler look alike, basic rugged off roader, top notch stock mm540 with fat tyres etc etc

3. 5 speed gearbox is primarily for on road use. Decide how much u want to be on-road and how much u want to cruise. Slow speed driving, winding roads, stop go traffic, hard core off road useage 4-speed is sufficient. If you are facinated with NVH, shift quality etc, etc then go in and get your 5-speed gear box even by paying premium for it

4. Since you are fitting a power steering for your vehicle fo and get your self broader rims and tryes. Since you stay near dessert you must opt for sand grip or say any good make A/t tyres. Fat tyres will provide u good flotation on sand

5. Get yourself a good winch if budget permits. Plonk in an A/c as this is your every day car. But i doubt if engine will have enough power to pull strongly with 4.27 ratio with A/c on.

6. Get your self booster brakes to provide good stopping power and control both on road and off it.

7. As i always say resist your temptation on fancy stuff. First make your jeep road worthy.

Good attempt and your experince will help me modifying my MM540 i suppose.
Old 6th April 2008, 11:43   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nitrous,

Thanks a ton for the tip. I am picking up the 5-speed and the XD3 engine. The engine looks in pretty good shape and the seller told me that it came out of a Dec 2006 Bolero. Of-course we can't verify this, but it looked in pretty good shape. BTW, he also had some good Scropio engines including the CRDe and the non CRDe Turbo, but I am not sure if the mm 540 chasis, brakes etc can handle the power from the Scorpio engine so I thought I will stick with the XD3.

The gearbox was not a BA10, but an NGT20. Mahindra stopped selling BA10s a few years back. But the NGT20 has many improvements over the BA10 including the cast iron case and some enhancements to the syncro cones. Plus it is locally manufactured and since it is the standard on the Major and Invader 4x4 it should be easier to souce parts if needed. The NGT20 transmission and Borg Warner mechanical transfer case comes as an assembled unit so I am not sure if the older T18 transfer case can be mated to the NGT20.

In additional to the Engine and transmission, I am also changing the clutch to hydraulic from the mechanical one and the installing a power disc brake kit. Unfortunately I won't be here in chennai when the work is being done so I won't be able to post any pictures.
Old 7th April 2008, 12:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi 4x4 addict,
Are u picking up a New NGT 520 with transfer case? For how much? Please do not do a mistake of even thinking of mating T18 with NGT 520 . They are generations apart
Old 7th April 2008, 13:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

We all are so glad that the super good XD3 and the 5-sp Gearbox is going to an enthusiast.
Quote:
Unfortunately I won't be here in chennai when the work is being done so I won't be able to post any pictures.
I should be there whenever Im not working.
Old 7th April 2008, 13:28   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi 4x4 addict,
Are u picking up a New NGT 520 with transfer case? For how much? Please do not do a mistake of even thinking of mating T18 with NGT 520 . They are generations apart
The NGT20 came with the Borg Warner manual T-Case, so I am buying it with the T-Case for 65,000 Rupees including the T-case. Abhishek actually ordered it for a DI engine. The Bell Housing he has is for the DI Turbo engine. He needs to order a separate one for the XD3 engine which will run about 10K for the bell housing.

My existing KMT90 gear box and T-18 is going to a friend in Nagercoil who needs to replace the one on his MM540.

Need to figure out what I will do with the XDP engine. The engine chap offered me only 10,000 for the engine so I thought I will just hold on to it rather than sell it for 10,000 Rupees.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 7th April 2008 at 13:36.
Old 7th April 2008, 13:36   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We all are so glad that the super good XD3 and the 5-sp Gearbox is going to an enthusiast.
Thanks man. I have been a Jeep freak all my life. Learned driving on my Grandfather's CJ with the hurricane petrol engine. I am glad that there is a support network of fellow enhusiasts now.

Quote:
I should be there whenever Im not working.
I am planning to drop of the Jeep in Ali's place on Thursday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks