Team-BHP - Santro: Return spring for Accelerator and brake pedal?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Santro: Return spring for Accelerator and brake pedal? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/37651-santro-return-spring-accelerator-brake-pedal.html)

Hi All,

I own a 4 year old Santro Xing. Having driven an Indica recently I realized the need to add a return spring to the accelerator and the brake pedals to reduce the strain on my ankle when driving long distances. Having looked at the brackets for the pedals, i couldn't think of a simple way to fit one. If somebody has done this before, i would appreciate some photographs of the mod so i can plan one accordingly.

Ajith

are you sure it doesnt have one in the first place? I think that all cars have em, might be hidden thats all.

Will post pics of what the existing setup looks like later today when i can get to the camera. There is one. It is just piddly and they haven't included room there for anything stronger.

That can be true, they have kept it piddly to make the clutch pedal light to actuate.

Options you can try:
add one more of the piddly springs.
source a better spring.
add another spring at the gear box end on the clutch cable.

If you have a tighter spring it wont be comfortable for you to drive as the force required to push it would be more.So just check for the original spring and its tension and if its worn out replace it.
ram

The spring is so weak that i am spending too much energy to hold my feet in the air. It has always been that way.

Jaggu, I am ok with the clutch. It is the accelerator and the brake pedals that i have trouble with.
Though not an option for the brakes, I did consider adding a spring at the other end for the accelerator cable. However, this would be an unnecessary strain on the control cable. Will only go that way if i can't avoid it.
Let me get those pics. I am sure that would be better than explaining.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajith (Post 778127)
The spring is so weak that i am spending too much energy to hold my feet in the air. It has always been that way.

Oh! So thats the problem.. hehehe

Well a super strong spring with enough strength to support the weight of your leg would be a bad idea because then you would have lower leg & knee pain trying to push the throttle.

And ideally one should not rest the leg on the throttle. Rest your heel on the floor and use the toes to dab the throttle. That way you won't feel the strain of having to hold your feet in the air.

Here are some pics of what it is like currently
ajith_k/Santro Pedals - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The promised pics.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

did u weld and extend the acc pedal by any chance???? i would say bad idea, your pedal seem to be at too horizontal an angle for comfort, it should be more vertical so that toe end part of your foot stays on the pedal and heel rests on the floor.

As far as tightening the existing set up, i suggest you try tempering the spring (careful it can break also, so carry a spare in hand)

On second thought, try increasing the load on spring by bending the lever.

Also you can try a diff pedal design, similar to those in Fiats (1100) where the pedal rests on the floor and the top end can move the throttle lever.

I am sure the pedals of santro is not this horizontal.It maybe due to the photo angle or some one has played with it.Or did you slam it that hard buddie,lol.
ram

ajit, before you get into body work and welding, try some sedans, eg- TATA cars are built like a truck, try some springs from those cars clutch pedals, and try to fit them in your accelarator pedals, may work, you never know. Well if you want to go more extreme, try to get a Enfield Bullet's Center Stand Srping and take your santro;s mechanic to help you out. Any of the idea;s above may not cost you more than 50-100Rs. PS - both car and bike parts are easily available in JC road, Bangalore.

Jaggu, they are totally stock. No modifications. The camera is nearly at floor level. The Tata car springs are straight unlike the circular springs you see here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajith (Post 779435)
Jaggu, they are totally stock. No modifications. The camera is nearly at floor level. The Tata car springs are straight unlike the circular springs you see here.

post a 3 D image :D

What are those weld job/mark then, did that came with the car?

yeah. not very pretty eh?